How to Win Friends and Influence People

Nov 24, 2013
I'm currently reading this book and I know that It's an amazing book and really helpful with performing and controlling the audience. I just want to know how this book influenced your performance skill or just life in general if you have read it.

gavinross

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
toledo, ohio
I'm currently reading this book and I know that It's an amazing book and really helpful with performing and controlling the audience. I just want to know how this book influenced your performance skill or just life in general if you have read it.

I cant say enough good stuff about this book. As I started my marketing business I sat down with some successful business owners. I asked questions, lots of them. One of my first questions was if they could do things over, or tell themselves a piece of advice when they were in my shoes, what would it be. He said he wished he had dove into people skills books immediately instead of just trying to outwork the business. He said "How to win friends and influence people" changed his life and business. I picked it up immediately. Written in like 1936 or so, the book is as relevant today as it was back then. I will say this, its not the easiest read. Carnegie will make a point then do story after story to illustrate that point. If you're not an avid reader you may get a little frustrated at the pace. The first people skills book I recommend to my team is "The Art of Dealing with People" by Giblin. Its like the cliff notes version of How to Win Friends. Next is usually "How I raised myself from failure to success in selling" (Its not all about selling, instead about living life in victory) and "The Sleight Edge" which talks about the power of your daily decisions and their compound effect.
To relate this back to magic, going up to a group to possibly perform for is so much easier when you've studied people and mastered the art of conversation (which is, interestingly enough, not about what you say but how well you listen and being mature enough to drop your own ego to lift someone else's). These books will help you become a better engineer, husband, friend, leader in your church. Take notes and highlight what jumps out at you. And reread your highlights regularly.
-Tyler

Mar 31, 2014
Calgary, AB
This sounds like a book I must check out.

I would just like to add "The Game" By, Neil Strauss. I believe having a solid understanding of social dynamics will give you that added bit of personality and memorable to yourself.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results