I am sick of YouTube...

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Hey guys,

Before I get started, I just wanna say; no, this isn't a rant about exposure on YouTube, or anything related to that. That's been discussed many a time before and that's got its place in the forum.

This is more of a technical question, or rant. I wanted to post this to Theory11 because I know alot of members here do upload videos to YouTube quite frequently, and found the General Discussion forum was the most suitable place to do so.

Quite recently I've found I've had a lot of trouble with uploading content to the YouTube website. A couple of days ago I managed to upload a flourishing video I've been working on for nearly 4 days straight. When I checked it an hour later, it had been removed due to copyright issues.

I'd used a song by the band Muse in the video, and apparently that's not allowed - using a band's songs like that. Fair enough.

However, every single one of my other videos has used songs that have been released on CD. I've never had a problem with them before. I've also noticed that Allan Hagen has used Muse songs in his videos in the past, with no trouble.

What's the problem?

Anyway, after having the video removed I planned on re-uploading it after editing it slightly. But now, I can't even upload anything.
I left the video uploading overnight, and it was still doing it in the morning - 14 hours later.
It's a 75MB .wmv video file. Surely it can't take that long?
I retried it the following day, but I opened 4 windows and uploaded the video separately 4 times. Nothing.
I used the Beta Uploader option YouTube has. It failed, 4 times.

Does anyone else have this problem? It's really frustrating me, I wanted the video to be put up on New Years Day, as a kind of 'end of year' piece. That's getting more and more out of the picture now.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks for your time,

-Sam H

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
have you tried making a new account? try uploading it on vimeo and straight onto t11 maybe?

I don't want to make a new account, I'd lose the videos, comments and subscribers I've gained over the past 12 months.

And yeah, it's uploading to Vimeo now.
But I do want to upload it to Youtube, like I said, it's something I wanna share with people outside Theory11 too. Subscribers (including family members).

-Sam H

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well he's kinda just explained it dude :p

Sam, the only thing I can really suggest is wait a little while. I know it's not ideal or what you wanna hear but yeah... I came up with that copyright problem recently too - but fortunately my message read that the copyright holders were happy for this (again, music in a video) to exist, so they left it, but I did get a notice... It didn't take all that long to upload, though..

See now this is strange because I have put videos up in the past, they were non magic related and highly innapropriate for kids. And i always use songs from bands. I use video killed the radio star, animal I have become, don't fear the reaper, fame, and others. Never once has a video been deleted.

Quite strange.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
YouTube has certain labels as "partners" - and software which monitors videos for usage of said songs, and policies depending on company policy. At least, that's what I surmised from my experience.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
what about you use music from creative commons artists? all you need to do is credit them and you get free legal music.

Well, it's not so much the music issues I'm concerned with, I just wanna get the video uploaded.

However, I have edited the video around the song, a slow introduction, powerful, fast flourishes for the chorus. They fit exactly with every note, and it took me hours to do it. I'm 100% certain it wouldn't fit with any other song. And going back and re-editing is something I'd rather not do (after already filming, deleting, re-filming, editing, deleting, re-editing, deleting and re-editing - it's taken me what feels like years. I just want to get the thing uploaded, and it seems I can't even do that now).

-Sam H

May 19, 2008
manchester
upload it onto vimeo, make sure its safe on their.
upload it onto youtube again, if it doesnt work their then you could tell everyone who has subscribed that its on vimeo and give them a link, keep on trying, it should do it eventually. contact youtube and tell them your problem.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
If all else fails actually - this is an interesting idea. Post a short new video in which you basically say "My newest video isn't working here. BUT look at this video's description, there's a link to Vimeo, where you can see it."

May 19, 2008
manchester
thats what I was gonna say (honest) exept I realised that if he cant make one video work I dont see why another one would work.

but good idea anyway

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Ah, you've got me there. :p Well it's probably still worth a try since you could do that in about a minute anyway... Especially if the video upload problem has got to do with the copyright...

If you change your class (i.e. Guru, comedian, director, etc.) to a director you can upload as long of a video as you want! So maybe you could try that. I don't know, but it is worth a try.

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Ok my solution didn't work because I am now having the same problem! And on Vimeo it is also taken a whole lot longer than five minutes!

Nah, it's not his computer. My Vimeo upload took about 50 minutes for 75MB. And my Youtube uploads are just non-existant.

I have no idea what the hell is going on but I wish it would fix itself.

-Sam H

Nov 19, 2008
youtube is becoming more lame by the second, I am definitely switching to vimeo from now on. i suggest everyone else do the same thing. I might also start uploading stuff to t11, i never did it before because my old camera sucks but my new should bring less shame to this awesome site.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results