I need some help guys (or girls).

Should I help my friend?

• Yes

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • NO!!

Votes: 14 63.6%

• Total voters
Oct 19, 2007
Ok, I have a friend who's just recently wanted to get into magic after I'v showed him some effects. He told me that he just has a lot of free time on his hands so he wants to do magic because of that. I feel kinda iffy to actually help him because I feel that he's just doing this to learn secrets, because im doing it, and because I dont think he's going to last.
Now my question to you is, should I help him or not? I know some of you have also had this problem and I want to hear your opinion on this.

Dec 27, 2008
hey, this happened with my friend to. so what i did was i taught him some really simple trick. then i had him practice it. next time we hung out i asked him to show the trick to me, i said that until i didn't see the sleight he would have to keep practicing. once he got it i did the same thing with the next trick up. he gave up after about 4 tricks..........oh well.
hope this helps, jake

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Wait.

If you wait, and his interest is still there in (X amount of time- say a year) he will have taken his own steps to find out more. You will see how much he wants to know.

If he is still interested, tell him the library is a wealth of information. Tell him to do his homework and see how far he goes. I would point him in the right direction to find material (avoid the web until much later) and see what he does with it. I believe Joshua Jay made a comment about the importance of effort.

Avoid at all costs teaching him material from your set. It cheapens what you do. Maintain your dignity as a magician, and your effort and the routines you have been working on. But don't hesitate to point them in a positive direction.

Hope that helps!

Justin

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
hey, this happened with my friend to. so what i did was i taught him some really simple trick. then i had him practice it. next time we hung out i asked him to show the trick to me, i said that until i didn't see the sleight he would have to keep practicing. once he got it i did the same thing with the next trick up. he gave up after about 4 tricks..........oh well.
hope this helps, jake

I have tried the same thing (with the back palm), to the same result. But the idea there is good, that it is about the effort they will put into it.

j

Oct 19, 2007
Wait.

If you wait, and his interest is still there in (X amount of time- say a year) he will have taken his own steps to find out more. You will see how much he wants to know.

If he is still interested, tell him the library is a wealth of information. Tell him to do his homework and see how far he goes. I would point him in the right direction to find material (avoid the web until much later) and see what he does with it. I believe Joshua Jay made a comment about the importance of effort.

Avoid at all costs teaching him material from your set. It cheapens what you do. Maintain your dignity as a magician, and your effort and the routines you have been working on. But don't hesitate to point them in a positive direction.

Hope that helps!

Justin

thanks for the help guys the thing is he already knows about magic websites like E and others. I was using a black shadow deck before (around a year ago I was showing him a trick with them at a Verison Wireless meeting)( my mom got me a job to preform for customers and the workers their) and what he did was went online and shearched all day until he could find them and when he did he bought some custom decks and I told him it was a waste of money that the cards didnt make me better in anyway.

Now he's asking me which dvds to buy and he's already trying to learn the jones change and I keep on telling him to slow his role because he has to learn the basics or it will bite him in the a** some day.

Oct 19, 2007
There's a whole thread on this subject of what many members here think. Seriously, it's about 6 threads down from this one.
Just because it's not about your exact situation, doesn't mean it isn't useful.
A yes or no poll doesn't cut it.

http://forums.theory11.com/showthread.php?t=15898

first off im not going to look for a thread just like mine one because im not them and im not going to be on the forums all day knowing everything there is to know. So your post didn't really help with the negativity but thanks for the link anyway...............:rolleyes:

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Ok, I have a friend who's just recently wanted to get into magic after I'v showed him some effects. He told me that he just has a lot of free time on his hands so he wants to do magic because of that. I feel kinda iffy to actually help him because I feel that he's just doing this to learn secrets, because im doing it, and because I dont think he's going to last.
Now my question to you is, should I help him or not? I know some of you have also had this problem and I want to hear your opinion on this.

ive been in this situation. tell him to go to the library and get a begginner book on card magic. if he likes it he'll keep going...and maybe in time he'll become more serious u never know. but if hes rly jus in it for the secrets...he'll eventually get bored with it and once he sees how hard magic can be he may quit. but once he learns stuff. like if you want, keep tabs on him like to see how hes doing if u want. have him preform for u and critique it. help him fix anything needed who knows maybe he'll be good.

Oct 19, 2007
ive been in this situation. tell him to go to the library and get a begginner book on card magic. if he likes it he'll keep going...and maybe in time he'll become more serious u never know. but if hes rly jus in it for the secrets...he'll eventually get bored with it and once he sees how hard magic can be he may quit. but once he learns stuff. like if you want, keep tabs on him like to see how hes doing if u want. have him preform for u and critique it. help him fix anything needed who knows maybe he'll be good.

thanks for the reply's people lol im happy to put girls in the title :p

This is how i got started with magic. i knew alot about it before my friend started to teach me.
if he wanted to learn secrets then he could just go online and find them. I would start with some easy tricks. like some easy ace assemblys, one with the jacks (where you put jacks "in the deck" and they end up on top. radar card. basically almost any self working easy trick. dont teach double lift, or forces or anything
just teach him real basic stuff. if he learns thoes and wants to learn more, then teach him. that is my policy.
usually if they dont really wanna learn, they'll stop in a week or 2

tell him to go to a particular free magic trick site like one that teaches the 21 card trick, and learn it and then show you the trick. If they take the time to actually go and learn the trick then they might have a genuine interest in magic.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007

I've been in this situation about 10 million times. Basically what I do is I'll teach him maybe 2 or 3 very easy beginner effects. I tell him some of the rules of magic like you can't learn a new trick and then perform it the next second.

And after that I let them loose and if they are serious about perform magic then usually they will start to fend for themselves and learn stuff on their own.

Every now and then I'll share an idea with him/her and teach him/her a cool trick or something.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
first off im not going to look for a thread just like mine one because im not them

God forbid you use a little of you precious time to read!
Dam,
I doubt that you even took the time out to read the thread from your fast reply. It's the SAME situation going on in that thread as in this one.

Since you didn't make the thread and it wasn't directed towards you, you can't use that same info to help you with your decision?
Maybe your dense mind couldn't pick up what I was saying, but this thread is a waste of space.
Plain and simple.

Jan 13, 2008
Dam,
I doubt that you even took the time out to read the thread from your fast reply. It's the SAME situation going on in that thread as in this one.

Since you didn't make the thread and it wasn't directed towards you, you can't use that same info to help you with your decision?
Maybe your dense mind couldn't pick up what I was saying, but this thread is a waste of space.
Plain and simple.
Agreed. Also kind of ironic...the OP is hesitant about letting his friend use the resources he has access to, as he's afraid he'll abuse them...yet here he is, abusing his access to a magic resource. This resource doesn't explain tricks (unless purchased), but it's still a very valuable magic resource. o_O

So I'm going to second the notion that the OP should check out the other thread. It covers just about anything I would have said anyway (and most of what was said in this thread...as Danny said, talk about a waste of space; the other thread should have sufficed).

Oct 19, 2007
Dam,

Plain and simple.

Dude im not going to argue with you. Its a forum and all I wanted was a little help but what you just had to do was be immature and blast me just because I didnt see a thread? Dude get a life.......................

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
Well I think that your friend should start to get in it some for him self at first. Once you see that he wants to do magic seriously than help him. But make him read a book from a library or something :D

Jul 16, 2008
somewhere in New York
Dude im not going to argue with you. Its a forum and all I wanted was a little help but what you just had to do was be immature and blast me just because I didnt see a thread? Dude get a life.......................

in the future if someone says something like that to you...ignore it..if you don't sometimes that can create argument threads and we dont want that.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Dude im not going to argue with you. Its a forum and all I wanted was a little help but what you just had to do was be immature and blast me just because I didnt see a thread?

I gave you help. I posted a thread and you told me that it wasn't relevant to this topic, when it's the same thread.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Dude get a life.......................
Stop, you're hurting my feelings.
:p
Whatever, you can talk to me through pm if you want, but I'm done for now.

I was on the other side of this situation. My friend started me into magic and since then he has quit and I have been in magic for 10 years. So you never can tell. What happened with me was he taught me a trick and then i mastered it and then then he taught me another until i went to the local magic shop and the magic bug bit hard.

the good thing about starting your friend in magic is you will now have someone to help you with concealing flashes and to practice with.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Give him a copy of Royal Road - give him a month to study say the first chapter. If he's still doing it at the end of the month, chances are he'll be alright. If he doesn't have the patience, he won't have the patience for magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results