I rocked that fair tonight!

Ok...this isn't a thread to brag, or anything. I just have to tell someone... :D

I had 2 performances at our fair tonight (Charles County, MD), both strolling for an hour a piece. Outside, in the wind, dust, etc. It wasn't that bad, but wind+spongeballs don't make for a fun time. And in an environment such as that, you have to learn to adapt or else you're not going to survive.

But seriously...I kicked ass. I had that place rockin, no lie. It was unbelievable, the response that I got because of my magic. It was so cool too, because I was building up some pretty big crowds too. Seriously, like someone told me. Nothing builds a crowd like a crowd. What started off as a family of 5 built to about 20 people in maybe 3-5 minutes. It was absolutely nuts.

And seriously, I learned a ton too. One thing is that decks don't last to long at fairs. 1 deck lasted about 30 minutes, before it was basically trashed. Then I just gave them away. Also, keep plently of business cards on you. I had to run back to my bag during my first show to get more, as so many people were asking for them left and right...it was insane.

I booked this event about 2 months ago, and nothing prepared me for it, other than from my past experiences. Many people gave some great advice, but once I got there it was a completely different ball game. Just the atmosphere and the crowds were crazy. People running around, music blasting, people yelling/lauhing/talking, etc. But it made for a very fun event, and something I look forward to next year. He already told me afterwards they want me back, so that's a definite plus.

And if you've read all this, then thank you. I just had to tell someone. :D

Best.
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
I agree, congrats!

That is great! This is what we all are aspiring to do. I mean, I don't think I've had more of a crowd that about 7 people. That was in the break room of the store I used to work at too!

Hah.

Shane K.

Sep 1, 2007
Awesome! I am going to work a fair in October and I can't wait. I would also like to hear some of you effects that you performed. It would be cool to sign you cards (the thrashed ones) and give them away! or do some ACR's and let them keep the card! Again great job, and don't worry, these forums are here for you to discuss your magic, that includes great performances! :D

Sep 1, 2007
That's awesome! Congratulations on your perfomances. As many other people are asking, what were some stuff that you performed at the fair?

-D. Tran

Hey all..

Thanks for the responses. Didn't think I'd get any (atleast not any of THIS KIND. LOL! :p), but I really appreciate it.

All jokes aside, it was a great learning experience, and something where I made some good money and had a blast. As for what I performed, I did the same 3 tricks the whole night.

1. Weighted Aces (Gregory Wilson)
2. ACR (3 phase)
3. Spongeballs (MWCCIM)

That's it. That was about a 10 minute set, and probably closer to 15 minutes with audience interaction, reactions, etc. Like I've always said, doing magic is much more than just doing the tricks. It's about entertaining an audience, and you don't always need to do magic to entertain them.

One time tonight I ended up telling a story to about 15 people about this lady at Red Robin where she actually wrote her credit card number on the card! Seriously! That took about 5 minutes there (don't rush it. Seriously...), and the audience seemed thoroughly entertained, and the crowd only got bigger from there.

Once again, thanks to evreyone. I really appreciate it.

Best.
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results