I should focus on???

Aug 15, 2017
Well, here's the present scenario.
I now want to get down to some knuckle busting moves which I was afraid or just did not want to do before. Like flourishes, some of the MORE complicated card tosses, visual colour changes. Actually, visual magic in general.
Now the problem arises that I am focussing on cards a lot right now. More precisely, (if it will help anyone help me) the werm, a card toss, and a colour change.
However, I get asked to perform a LOT in my school by juniors and seniors alike. Classmates I can put off but it becomes a problem with them as I can't refuse them outright. And I don't like to miss my chances of amazing people other than my friends because they offer good publicity. :)
And we can't carry cards to school. I wanna perform with coins, and I have Bobo to help me out there.
However, as I said, I want a little bit more visual effects now.
And boy, they require serious practice. Which I am not afraid of.

But if am focussing on cards right now. So do I try coins at the same time? Because if I leave them half-way, I might have to restart from scratch again.
And I don't want them half-way. Because that means all the time I put in on them before goes to 90% waste.
So my question is...
Do I abandon them and start learning some serious coin magic?
Or do I learn serious coin magic alongside (with the number of things am learning, it might make a hodge podge) ?
Or do I ignore magic requests because ultimately I will be improving myself if I go at the pace I want? And that will improve my performance too as I will perform everything only after perfecting them.

Hope I was able to express myself okay! I just hate turning people down because I don't know how to do it nicely. So advice on that front is welcome too!

:)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Get a deck of cardistry trainers for school. A plex deck, or leather trainers would be cool. You wouldn't be able to do card tricks per-se with these but you could practice and show your friends some flourishes when asked.

Reactions: Lord Magic

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My suggestion is to focus on things you will perform, be it coins or cards or other effects. Make a list of what you want to learn. Start with effects that are easy to learn so you develop a bunch of stuff you can do. Then move on to the more challenging routines.

For coins, Bobo is great. Eric Jones's Metal DVDs (1 and 2) will get you performing with coins quickly.

For coins and other impromptu magic, check out Greg Wilson's On the Spot DVD.

Also, consider other props like sponge balls or ninja rings. If you have Mark Wilson's Complete Course, there are a lot of effects in there that don't use cards. Also, check out Anneman's Practical Mental Magic. There are a lot of great effects there that don't use cards.

Aug 15, 2017
Get a deck of cardistry trainers for school. A plex deck, or leather trainers would be cool. You wouldn't be able to do card tricks per-se with these but you could practice and show your friends some flourishes when asked.
Only if I was stronger in the flourishing department!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results