I want to learn magic for D&D...

T

thegmoat

Hey everyone, I run a Dungeons & Dragons game every Friday and had this crazy thought, what is D&D but it doesn't have? Magic. I want to learn some tricks to do in the game and I really don't know where to start. Card and maybe coin magic would be best, but I was also thinking that mind reading or mentalism would be awesome as well. Does anyone have any pointers on where to start?

The game itself is an immersive role-playing experience and I think it would be fun to dazzle my players in the game but also keep it within the context of the world. Of course, there is magic in D&D through spells and what have you, but I think doing something with an NPC (Non-Player Character, those are all the characters in the game that the Dungeon Master uses to create scenes and to challenge the PC's, Player Characters ) would be truly amazing!

Here's what I have in mind:

Think Murder on the Orient Express. The PC's will be returning from an archeology dig in the desert and are taking a train back to civilization. While on the train they will meet a menagerie of characters (NPC's) who will shape the mystery. One of the characters I have in mind is a flashy older gentleman who dazzles with reading minds and cards tricks. (One or the other, since I don't know where to start with my own personal learning I don't know what he'll actually do lol) On the train, a passenger will be found dead and it will be up to the PC's to figure out what happened and to make sure it won't happen again. Now, the magician will not be the murderer or the victim, but I do want to use that NPC as a type of red herring. Someone that seems suspicious but one that could be a great help.

Now when it comes to magic, I love it. I love sleight of hand magic, such as Apollo Robbins and I love Penn & Teller. So, as a fan, I know the different types of magic but I just don't know where to start as a novice. I want the tricks of the NPC to dazzle my players and also to confound the PC's in the game. So, where should a beginner start?

I've scoured D&D forums and nothing has come up in regards to real-world magic to be used in a game, so this is new territory. Help me create a new and memorable experience; I will greatly appreciate it! Thanks! :)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Are you planning to do the tricks yourself, or are you planning to describe how the tricks look as the magician character does them? There's a big difference there.

Which world are you using? I used to play back in high school (shocker, I know) but there's been a lot of develop since then. That could influence which way you go.

I think the best route would be to decide how you want to use the magician character. That will give you a better idea of what would be best to use for his skill base.

Murder on the Orient Express is based in/around 1925-1933. That's when Houdini was around, debunking Spiritualists, so he could be an inspiration for you.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results