IBM?

Apr 18, 2016
USA
hello all, are any of you members of the international brotherhood of magicians? If so, have you found that being a member justifies the yearly dues?

Many thanks

Book

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Yeah I'm a member of the IBM and SAM.... or at least I was until my membership expired. It's like 65 dollars a year , and the only advantage is you get to be a part of something known as the linking ring which connects you with actual magicians... I did not renew my membership because I don't have the means, however if you have the money go for it. You get a monthly magazine called the M.U.M and many other fine perks. I'm a loner so there really isn't much sense in me continuing my membership I decided .... Just give me a deck of cards a surface and I'm set. ;)

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
I highly recommend anyone that is serious about magic become a member of the IBM. The knowledge and feedback you can get from members of your local ring can be extremely valuable. That alone I think justifies the yearly dues but then you also get access to the monthly Linking Ring magazine, the now have an online only version though I still prefer a hardcopy of it, and access to all the back issues via Ask Alexander. It is a great resource when developing new routines.

Have you been out to a local ring meeting yet?

Reactions: Mr.Book
Apr 18, 2016
USA
I highly recommend anyone that is serious about magic become a member of the IBM. The knowledge and feedback you can get from members of your local ring can be extremely valuable. That alone I think justifies the yearly dues but then you also get access to the monthly Linking Ring magazine, the now have an online only version though I still prefer a hardcopy of it, and access to all the back issues via Ask Alexander. It is a great resource when developing new routines.

Have you been out to a local ring meeting yet?
I have not gone to a local meeting, I wasn't sure if nonmembers were permitted. It is a good idea, however, if I can find one I'll definitely check it out.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Jun 6, 2015
Charlotte NC
I was part of it for the last year, but didn't renew my membership, mostly just because my local ring was inactive. Definitely check if there is a local ring near you, if not I don't think it's really worth it. You get a monthly magazine, but there's not really anything of value in it, and other than that I haven't found many perks.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I have not gone to a local meeting, I wasn't sure if nonmembers were permitted. It is a good idea, however, if I can find one I'll definitely check it out.

If you're a non-member, you can attend the meetings. But more than likely, you won't be allowed to join in when they discuss secrets and methods.

Generally, from what I understand is that you can attend the first 3 meetings without paying dues. But if you were to go to one without paying dues, I'd contact the head of the local ring and make sure that the meeting you want to go to is one where non-members can attend. Just to save you a trip.

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
I am sure it varies a bit from ring to ring in Victoria BC Ring 183 you need to come to your first meeting as a guest of someone (which is not hard even if you don't know us, you just need to get in touch and someone will invite you out) and you need to attend three meetings and then can be voted into the ring as a member an at that time need to join the IBM as well.

We have monthly meeting (except we take July and August off), host for or five lecture a year, we just had one with Daryl and I believe Diamond Jim Tyler is next, and put on a few public shows a year. We also hold competitions for close-up and parlour magic, a comedy magic competition and an unopened deck comp. If you are serious about magic getting together with a group of other magicians is one of the best things you can do.

Reactions: Mr.Book
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results