Ideas for a fire based/thread routine

So, I'm doing a short routine in about a week and a half. It's going to be in a fairly poorly lit space, outside at night, for a crowd, so it needs to be visible. Just want some feedback or ideas that might go well with it. Most of it needs to be doable without spectator interaction. Here's what I'm playing with. . .

Probably going to open with a lit candle from the jacket, if i can get it working. Using a variation of the method found in The Magician's Arsenal by Lee Scott right now, though if there's a better one, I'm certainly open to hearing about it.

Once I've got that, I'll probably go in to a few card effects. Thinking of starting with a modified version of Angle Zero (flashpaper to vanish the corner more visually), then doing In The Smoke, by d+M.

Follow that with some fireball manipulation (more just palming the cotton to light it and holding fire in the palm of the hand, then passing it around a bit), then a flashpaper rose to real rose (basically a modified Hermes from Real Secrets of Magic)

Probably end with LIFE, the animated butterfly thing.

Maybe throw in the Hummer Card for good measure, probably either at the very beginning, or just before the flash-rose.

Clearly I still have to polish up a real routine here, but does anyone have any suggestions for what I might do, or any feedback concerning the basic outline I've posted?

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2009
Hmm it sounds a little rough but has plenty of potential. You got fire so that will definitely draw a crowd. The only thing is, why use a candle when you can use a lighter? Throwing a lit candle into your routine with a constant flame could lead to some problems, but generally things with fire are dangerous. I haven't seen life so I can't say it will work in conjunction with the other effects. Just remember to keep this in mind. "Why am I doing this?"

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I tell you what man. I hate to sound like I am advertising for Kostya but WARNING would be perfect for this little routine that needs some flash to it. It is a great opener and hits fast and hard.

Hmm it sounds a little rough but has plenty of potential. You got fire so that will definitely draw a crowd. The only thing is, why use a candle when you can use a lighter? Throwing a lit candle into your routine with a constant flame could lead to some problems, but generally things with fire are dangerous. I haven't seen life so I can't say it will work in conjunction with the other effects. Just remember to keep this in mind. "Why am I doing this?"

The candle is an eye catcher, and with the constant flame set on the table, I have a lot more freedom with my hands to do anything else.

Jul 13, 2009
Cool thanks for the clarification.

Branded would be a cool efect to do, a bit freaky though but cool none the less. I do second warning but just be aware of the sulfur fumes.

I was thinking about angle zero, since you have the candle out the entire time. Depending on how big the candle is, why not have the corner appear incased in the body of the candle? It makes a little sense since you are using flash paper. The corner was blazing hot as it is transported into the wax.

That is just a thought to ponder on whether you use it is up to you.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Cool thanks for the clarification.

Branded would be a cool efect to do, a bit freaky though but cool none the less. I do second warning but just be aware of the sulfur fumes.

I was thinking about angle zero, since you have the candle out the entire time. Depending on how big the candle is, why not have the corner appear incased in the body of the candle? It makes a little sense since you are using flash paper. The corner was blazing hot as it is transported into the wax.

That is just a thought to ponder on whether you use it is up to you.

Rev meant warning by Kostya, not DG, K's warning is an effect with the sticker off a lighter :)

How many people will be there? From the sounds of it, some of the effects may be a little small, something like life is a GREAT trick for one or two people, it'd be tough to play for a crowd of 20,30,50 or whatever.

Only other thing is that if you're outside, your candle may be prone to blowing out :p Unless the air is really still!

re the corner in the candle, it's a nice idea, but AZ is LOT more impressive if there's no way you can reach or manipulate where the corner ends up. That's the REAL power behind the routine, the crowd know's we have fast hands, but if something's somewhere over there pinned to aunt maggie's coat, it's much more!

Best,

DC

Jul 13, 2009
Oh see now I would think Warning would be to small to play away from close up. Is Az the thing Criss Angel performed on one of his episodes? Better question what is AZ?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results