ideas for a stage show in a highschool?

Jun 9, 2011
so our highschool talent show usually starts up a few months from now, but i wanted to go through some ideas and purchase anything necessary now so ill be prepared. ive done stage shows before, but they were usually for community gatherings or an audience of mostly children, and, frankly, im a bit scared of performing for highschoolers haha. some things i have include a torch to rose, a goldfish production, and an invisible deck. i was thinking of maybe getting into mentalism a bit more, because it seems "cooler" and i do have a genuine interest in it, i just never got the time to reach out into that branch. so, my question is, should i go for classic, visual stage magic, or go towards mentalism? and any material you recommend me in that branch would be greatly appreciated :) thank you once again!

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
Before you buy it although it is great you have to have some lighting that helps with it. I'd suggest looking not at illusions but magic. Tossed out Deck is great mentalism and I'd say that a strait jacket is good and magic wise I'd say Snowstorm in China or Fiber Optics.

Oct 8, 2011
Baltimore
Although I am probably not one who can really comment on this as I dont do mentalism at all and there are people on this forum who will lecture about the difference between mentalism and mental magic. in short, if you predict things using a one ahead principle or you force some a card and then read their mind, it is mental magic and not mentalism. mentalism involves real priciples like tells and physcological( i probably spelled that wrong forces and muscle reading. I am not actually experienced in this area, just dishin out my thoughts

so........In terms of mental magic I would suggest some thing like the magic square, look it up on youtube if you havent seen it before, as it is excellent and is a real audience involving trick.
you can also try a silk to egg effect.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
so our highschool talent show usually starts up a few months from now, but i wanted to go through some ideas and purchase anything necessary now so ill be prepared. ive done stage shows before, but they were usually for community gatherings or an audience of mostly children, and, frankly, im a bit scared of performing for highschoolers haha. some things i have include a torch to rose, a goldfish production, and an invisible deck. i was thinking of maybe getting into mentalism a bit more, because it seems "cooler" and i do have a genuine interest in it, i just never got the time to reach out into that branch. so, my question is, should i go for classic, visual stage magic, or go towards mentalism? and any material you recommend me in that branch would be greatly appreciated :) thank you once again!

First things first, DON'T TRY DOING MENTALISM!

You obviously haven't the showmanship skills to pull it off a.k.a. you're too inexperienced. Mentalism, in order to do it right, requires a lot of maturity and even more in way of showmanship skills and people management. I know you have probably seen 1001 teen-agers doing tricks that are "Mentalism" but I can assure you, it's just Mental Magic and worse yet, much of what they do is Bizarre Magick that's been mislabeled -- "Stigmata" being one example -- either version of it.

Stick with Magic, it's what you know. If you want to ring in something big, look at the Mark Wilson Course, with the exception of the Floating Lady piece, most all the big effects in that book can be made with Cardboard. I know in that I've made all of them and still have most of those same pieces that are still show worthy. More important, guys like Copperfield, Burton and even Sigfried & Roy have used those same pieces as well as other concepts by Gary Darwin (Inexpensive Illusions) or from the book "Victory Cartons" (available through Hades Publishing).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results