If You Could Only Have 1 Magic Book, What Would it Be?

Discussion in 'Magic Forum' started by Jayq, Apr 14, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

1. yeah, like the title says

im looking to buy my first magic book cuz im going to college and figured it could help me pass some time and improve my sleight of hand and performing(along with social skills hopefully :'()

i think that one book would be enough material to last me the entire time im there

any suggestions?

2. Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic.

3. Without knowing anything else about you, that would be my recommendation also.

If I had to keep only one book from my collection, it would be a different book. If I had to recommend one book for doing close up performance it would be a different book. If you need to learn the basics, it would be something different. If you are only doing card tricks, something else. If you have basic skills and are looking for some "street magic" performance material another book.

So my questions is what resources do you already have, what effects do you currently perform, how often and for who do you perform and what type of magic do you want to be performing?

Gabriel Z., ZackF and Antonio Diavolo like this.
  4. For the reasons you specified, I am gonna third Wilson's book.
    HOWEVER if I wanted to have a book related to magic for my entire life, I would actually choose Tricks of the Mind by Derren Brown. It is not EXACTLY magic, but it has the true secrets. Effects, methods, techniques, sleights, today I can get them without any sort of book, no matter how sub-par they are. However, what is written in Derren's book?

Not for your average and highly stereotypical magician.

Gabriel Z. likes this.
  5. I fourth this as well.

For me personally: Theatrical Magic Omnibus: Turning Tricks Into Theater by John Pyka.

Gabriel Z. likes this.
  6. Mark Wilson's Course is amazing, as you've already heard.

I guess saying the whole of Tarbell is cheating lol (especially since I'm only going off of the part I've read, haven't had time for the whole thing). Probably not for an absolute beginner though (language is annoyingly difficult imo)

Gabriel Z. likes this.
  7. my only resource right now is youtube (dont kill me pls), i mostly perform card tricks and mentalism and i practice almost everyday. magic-wise, i look up to lennart green, daniel garcia, shin lim, penn and teller and chris ramsay (there are more but it'll be a long list). i want to perform close up, like something that'll make me the most interesting guy in the room (i dont talk much)

im definitely checking out Wilson's book

Gabriel Z. likes this.
  8. I haven't killed anybody.... recently.

Get the three books in Paul Harris's Art of Astonishment for $135. I'd also say to get the five Volume Card College Series for #185. For $320. With those eight books, you will be able to CORRECTLY learn the vast majority of known card slights (most of which are not on YouTube) and have a lifetime worth of material. If you can't afford to get them all at once, get the first two Card College books and the first Art of Astonishment book.

9. i can't find anywhere to get these books, i live in malaysia, anything else?

10. Mine would have too be

If an octopus could palm

Gabriel Z. likes this.
  11. I'll go with Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue.

12. I’m not sure about shipping costs, but check out Vanishing and L&L Publishing’s websites.