If you don't mind please check out this clip and critique my pass

Nothing big guys just need some friendly critiquing here. Year-and-a-half into card magic and at this point about 6 to 7 months into doing the classic pass. Here's a 1-minute clip of showing you my pass and the last pass I believe is a TCC. If you're able to hear the audio you'll see the noise that makes I believe I have to reduce that. Just take it easy on me please lmao......( Deep breath ) here we go !!!!! I'm sorry if this doesn't work I had to copy the link to my Reddit page. I tried it once it takes you to my page you got to scroll down until you see the little video on the right please thank you for taking the time to do that if you did.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cardmagic/...e_me_of_my_passplz/?utm_source=reddit-android

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Nothing big guys just need some friendly critiquing here. Year-and-a-half into card magic and at this point about 6 to 7 months into doing the classic pass. Here's a 1-minute clip of showing you my pass and the last pass I believe is a TCC. If you're able to hear the audio you'll see the noise that makes I believe I have to reduce that. Just take it easy on me please lmao......( Deep breath ) here we go !!!!! I'm sorry if this doesn't work I had to copy the link to my Reddit page. I tried it once it takes you to my page you got to scroll down until you see the little video on the right please thank you for taking the time to do that if you did.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cardmagic/...e_me_of_my_passplz/?utm_source=reddit-android
Looks good mate. The first one was basically invisible, especially to a spectator who wouldn’t know what to look for.

Reactions: CardMagicNJ
Looks good mate. The first one was basically invisible, especially to a spectator who wouldn’t know what to look for.
Thx Tony, I really appreciate that I've been working on it hard. The Standalone ones I did like that on purpose just so you could see the mechanics of my hand that's all. I love doing that cover pass though that is freaking awesome !! So that's what I'm working on how about you on any current new tricks or sleights ?? Also are you on FB ?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Thx Tony, I really appreciate that I've been working on it hard. The Standalone ones I did like that on purpose just so you could see the mechanics of my hand that's all. I love doing that cover pass though that is freaking awesome !! So that's what I'm working on how about you on any current new tricks or sleights ?? Also are you on FB ?
I’m not on FB :/.

But I’m working on my pinky count as well as a perfect faro.

Reactions: CardMagicNJ

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Looks good. The main thing to focus on is the movement of your right hand. The cover for the pass is that you are squaring the cards. That is typically done in a single motion. The way you are doing the pass is in two motions -- the squaring of the cards and then the pass. That is a classic "tell" for the classic pass. Spectators can see you are doing something out of the ordinary but they don't know what it is.

The way to remedy that is to start squaring the cards with your right middle finger at the right front edge of the deck and move until you are at the left front edge. You are starting in the middle of the deck. Do the squaring motion a little slower with a casual feel like it doesn't matter. Think right hand slow, left hand fast.

Finally, make sure you are not looking at your hands (can't tell from the video). People who learn the pass, learn it looking at their hands to see how they are doing. Then, when you perform, if you look at your hands the audience will look at your hands. Instead, practice doing the pass while looking up and talking.

I’m not on FB :/.

But I’m working on my pinky count as well as a perfect faro.
That's great man I know you'll get it !!!! I'm not well with the Faro Shuffle at all yet. But that pinky count is definitely essential especially for your Lyft if that's how you do it. My hands are too big and my fingers are too long so I do the strike. How long have you been going at it so far??

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
That's great man I know you'll get it !!!! I'm not well with the Faro Shuffle at all yet. But that pinky count is definitely essential especially for your Lyft if that's how you do it. My hands are too big and my fingers are too long so I do the strike. How long have you been going at it so far??
Ive never really had strong enough fingers to do the count but recently I decided I should just start doing it over and over again to build the strength/feel for the count

Looks good. The main thing to focus on is the movement of your right hand. The cover for the pass is that you are squaring the cards. That is typically done in a single motion. The way you are doing the pass is in two motions -- the squaring of the cards and then the pass. That is a classic "tell" for the classic pass. Spectators can see you are doing something out of the ordinary but they don't know what it is.

The way to remedy that is to start squaring the cards with your right middle finger at the right front edge of the deck and move until you are at the left front edge. You are starting in the middle of the deck. Do the squaring motion a little slower with a casual feel like it doesn't matter. Think right hand slow, left hand fast.

Finally, make sure you are not looking at your hands (can't tell from the video). People who learn the pass, learn it looking at their hands to see how they are doing. Then, when you perform, if you look at your hands the audience will look at your hands. Instead, practice doing the pass while looking up and talking.
Dave that's awesome will do thank you. I didn't even think about looking up that's really a great idea !! But I know when I tape myself I'm actually looking at the screen of my cell phone, watching the footage while I'm doing it so technically I guess I'm not looking at my hands right there. Im going to start with the finger placement you mentioned about thank you. Very much appreciated.

Ive never really had strong enough fingers to do the count but recently I decided I should just start doing it over and over again to build the strength/feel for the count
Gatchaman although I don't think it's a matter of your fingers being strong enough as it is more so for muscle memory. Naturally your hand really doesn't move the pinkie by itself. Once your hand gets used to that movement the strength comes right back to it trust me. Kind of like the same basis as muscle confusion when working out. At least that's my opinion.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I second the right-hand motion being a tell. Your right hand should be as still as possible. In general you have some finger flutter going on at the moment of the pass itself.

The angle you hold the deck is a bit odd to me, as well. Could be the camera angle, though. I generally aim to have the deck parallel with the floor, whereas the video makes it look like it's at maybe a 45 degree angle? If so, this gives you more angle issues than having it flat.

And as David said, it should be done as soon as the hands come together. Separating the movements really gives it a big tell that something is happening.

I second the right-hand motion being a tell. Your right hand should be as still as possible. In general you have some finger flutter going on at the moment of the pass itself.

The angle you hold the deck is a bit odd to me, as well. Could be the camera angle, though. I generally aim to have the deck parallel with the floor, whereas the video makes it look like it's at maybe a 45 degree angle? If so, this gives you more angle issues than having it flat.

And as David said, it should be done as soon as the hands come together. Separating the movements really gives it a big tell that something is happening.
Thanks Chris I never really noticed that but you're right I do it with my deck on a 45 degree angle. Soon as I read your post I tried it again and yep right at that angle again........ I guess I feel it's more natural like if you going to shake somebody's hand to keep your hands at that angle right ?? Because you don't normally walk around keeping your hands parallel with the floor...... I'll try it that way though.

Thanks Chris I never really noticed that but you're right I do it with my deck on a 45 degree angle. Soon as I read your post I tried it again and yep right at that angle again........ I guess I feel it's more natural like if you going to shake somebody's hand to keep your hands at that angle right ?? Because you don't normally walk around keeping your hands parallel with the floor...... I'll try it that way though.
At as I'm doing it right now it looks like yes my right hand comes up a little bit from pulling that bottom packet which is a habit. From what I've read and seen it looks like that only the left fingers do the movement that's it is that correct ?? It seems as though I am using my left fingers and also lifting up the bottom packet with my right hand, causing my hands to have that jerking motion. So I should try to keep the right hand still you're saying ?

Hey Reality One,
Whenever you get a moment I put another 30 second link down the bottom I believe my right hand is a lot more still..... Obviously need more improvement...... But think I'm on the right track. I put my right middle finger on the right edge like you said.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results