iForce -- The Review

Jan 13, 2008
Well, that title was a bit misleading. This is more like iForce, the first impressions. I'll add a full review when I've had a chance to take this thing out into the real world for some actual performance feedback. :)

Anyway, onto the details.

The effect: It's a prediction utility for your iPhone/iPod Touch (I have an iPod Touch) by Greg Rostami. You can predict almost anything. The dollar amount of the bill of your spectator's choosing, a random number, names of people...whatever you like.

Practicality: Very practical. This is exactly what I've been looking for in an app. Why? Because it doesn't look like a magic app. It's cleverly hidden. It's like using a double backer in your deck--it's a utility that your spectator never sees or expects. With the double backer in there, they still see a normal deck of cards. With this app, all they see is an iPhone/iTouch with a doodle app.

Method: Genius. Your spectators will not figure out the method. And if you do suspect they are onto you--do it again, but with a different method. There are THREE included with this app! Yes, you can perform multiple effects, with 3 different methods (or you can perform the same effect, with 3 different methods, if you so choose).

Price: It's $3. I would honestly pay $15+ for an app like this, it's that good.

Other comments: What I love is that you're not constrained to the preset effects that come with the app. You can change the predictions to literally whatever you like. I can see myself coming up with all sorts of effects for this; the amount of room for creativity is what really makes this such a useful app.

Word of warning: There is a limit to the amount of possible predictions you can set up. I won't mention how many, as it may tip the method, but there is a limit. However, it's enough that it shouldn't really be much of a problem. You can't ask for a number between 1 and 100, but really, there are so many other routines you can come up with, assuming you're not creatively challenged.

My favourite reveal: You make your prediction on the doodle app, then exiting out of the doodle app so that nobody can see what you wrote down. The spectator can see that you're back to the home screen. The spectator reveals whatever it is they selected (varies depending on what you're performing). You can then have the spectator slide the screen over and choose the doodle app. Your prediction is spot on.

Verdict so far: A must have app for any mentalist, or aspiring mentalist, who doesn't mind incorporating some technology into their performing repertoire. Simple as that. I love it; I really do (obviously, heh). There is somewhat of a limitation, but the simple workaround to that is creativity (and if you're lacking in that department, there are a number of preset effects for you to perform anyway). And it's $3. Seriously guys (and gals), $3; what a deal.

It was honestly tough to put this little review out there; I honestly was feeling pretty greedy and wanted to keep this gem to myself. However, I'm not the greedy type, thus here I am posting this review, heh. And, of course, I'll put up a full review once I get some real world experience with it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2008
A Must have for Mentalists. Seriously. Go get it.

When I first got it, I expected so little, but wanted to give it a try.
My head was bashed in within the next 2 hours, inploding with ideas for this ingenious effect. Seriously...what the? Rostami is crazy to release this.
And cm763 is crazy to write a positive review for this product...let's keep this to ourselves shall we?

I shall write a thread for iForce ideas soon.

Oh, and if by now you have not gotten this application yet:
Take out your iPhones please. This is by far the best magic application released since the iPhone became public.

::dAvid

Greg Rostami

Creator, <b><a href="http://www.theory11.com/trick
Jan 20, 2009
Hi oldavid1,

I'm really curious how your performances with iForce are gonna be like. Post your results.

We've been getting more and more great reviews for iForce . . . Visit the iForce page to see a link to Quotes:
http://www.rostamimagic.com/iforce/

take care,
Greg Rostami

Greg Rostami

Jan 20, 2009
"Doodle" is approved by Apple to hide iForce . . .

The evolution of iForce continues . . .

YES . . . Apple just approved "Doodle!" This is what you had all asked for, and tonight "Doodle!" is available for purchase from the iTunes App store for 99 cents:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle/id337850431?mt=8&uo=6

You'll probably notice that the software company that we created for "Doodle!" is called "Recreation Software" NOT "Rostami Magic". This was to further hide iForce from any secret-seekers.

The icon and the splash screen for "Doodle" is EXACTLY the same as "iForce". So if someone tries to bust your magic by downloading "Doodle" they will find nothing more then a simple doodling application. ;)

In less then 2 weeks Apple will also approve the latest version of iForce. We have a few surprises coming up in the new iForce. The biggest change is we're going to drop the "(codename: Doodle)" from the title; so the program is simply going to be "iForce" and the iTunes icon will be the now familiar hand with lightning.

I would love to hear your thoughts and insight about this,
Greg Rostami

Jan 13, 2008
Will upgrades to the latest version of iForce be free? I'm assuming so, as most other programs offer free updates (such as Chris Kenner's magic app), but I thought I would ask to make sure. :)

Jan 16, 2008
Updates Often

Ok, so here are my presets that I have spent considerable time perfecting; in essence, they make logical sense and are reasonably easy to memorize, and I really hope I don't expose the trick.
Thus, this reply will be posted in iForce slang (muahahah):

Let's start simple.

"Ultimate R/L"
Turtle = L
Rabbit = R
Preset this setting (or vice versa if your dominant hand is Left Hand) for EVERY FLIPSIDE. Thus, you can even let your spectator do the dirty move with Turtle...if you need additional help with patter and nuances, PM me. :D

"Colors"
Seriously...if you haven't thought of this by now, SPEND MORE TIME WITH iFORCE!
Basically, a different color for each flip. Done. I prefer coloring them all the same direction and just a small area.
Note: Too much detail will cause lagging when Doodle launches.

"Clock"
Same principle as "Arrows", but with a clock face drawn in. If you can't draw a perfect circle, don't try this at home. Also, I have noticed that this is more realistic than arrows in that it is not 100% accurate, (because there aren't enough outcomes than hours), but with the proper patter, it will seem like you can actually SEE (blurry) through the spec's eyes. Again, PM me for patter.

Now, the following is the Apple of my eye. Took me at least 1 hour to develop and draw all the ...umm...rabbits and turtles (haha no exposure).

Phase 1
"Apple Color"
Start by telling a story about apples. It does not matter what you say, as long as you ask them "Let's say I were to give you an imaginary apple right now; would it be RED or GREEN?"
Now apply the same principle as "Ultimate R/L". Don't you just LOVE 2 outcomes? :p
If RED, do the trick yourself.
If GREEN, let the spectator do it. (or vice versa, but I like red more, and I like speed, so naturally I associate RED with RABBIT)

Phase 2
Preset:
FLIPVIEW
1. whole apple (the spec decides to do nothing with the apple)
2. one bite off the apple (s/he takes one bite)
3. apple core (s/he decides to eat it all)
4. a worm is protruding from the apple
5. peeled apple
6. apple slices (if you don't know how to draw; draw 3 half moons with Yellow, color the curves with RED or GREEN, add Black seeds)

Draw these presets for both RED and GREEN.
The rest is up to you and your acting...and btw, patter plays a BIG role in this effect. Showing someone an apple is not impressive, but showing them what THEY mentally decided to do with an apple is impressive. Astral projection works nicely; I personally won't recommend the "prediction" presentation. I can't explain why.

There you go, hope I didn't expose anything.
Have fun playing around; and I hope you guys with iForce will be nice enough to share your presets with everyone here.:D

Greg Rostami

Jan 20, 2009
Hi oldavid1,

Those are awesome presets . . . please be careful not to expose too much about iForce . . .

I really like progressive predictions . . . in the future, we're going to be doing much more with that idea.
stay tunned,

Hi cm763, the upgrade to the new version of iForce will be free.

Greg Rostami

Sep 1, 2007
The evolution of iForce continues . . .

YES . . . Apple just approved "Doodle!" This is what you had all asked for, and tonight "Doodle!" is available for purchase from the iTunes App store for 99 cents:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/doodle/id337850431?mt=8&uo=6

You'll probably notice that the software company that we created for "Doodle!" is called "Recreation Software" NOT "Rostami Magic". This was to further hide iForce from any secret-seekers.

The icon and the splash screen for "Doodle" is EXACTLY the same as "iForce". So if someone tries to bust your magic by downloading "Doodle" they will find nothing more then a simple doodling application. ;)

In less then 2 weeks Apple will also approve the latest version of iForce. We have a few surprises coming up in the new iForce. The biggest change is we're going to drop the "(codename: Doodle)" from the title; so the program is simply going to be "iForce" and the iTunes icon will be the now familiar hand with lightning.

I would love to hear your thoughts and insight about this,
Greg Rostami

Won't other people be able to find out about the app then?
I have the app but I don't know is it just me or is it kind of confusing to use? Maybe it is because I haven't play around with it too much. College application is a royal pain in the butt :mad:
I like the concept tho
Cheers
Andrew

Greg Rostami

Jan 20, 2009
Hi bicycle5,

The original name of our app is iForce. But when you download the program and launch it you see a "Doodle" icon and splash screen. That's the point of our software, it looks like an innocent doodle application when in reality it is much more then that.

Now, since your spectators have seen you launch "Doodle" if they want to know the secret, they can very easily do a search on an iPhone for the "Doodle" app. But now if they did try to search for "Doodle" they WILL find a program called "Doodle" that is nothing more then a simple paint program. Hence the secret is safe unless you knew the app to look for is called "iForce" . . . and obviously when you're performing there is NOTHING on the screen that says "iForce".

I hope that makes things a little bit more clear. It's tough keeping secrets in this age of information, but we gotta do whatever we can to hide the secret from the secret-seekers.

If you've already purchased iForce and it's confusing to you, I highly recommend you connect your iPhone/iPod Touch to the internet via Wi-Fi and watch all the instruction videos. If you can't connect to the internet, the manual has been designed to be a very easy read with pictures and examples.

take care,
Greg Rostami

Sep 1, 2007
Hi bicycle5,

The original name of our app is iForce. But when you download the program and launch it you see a "Doodle" icon and splash screen. That's the point of our software, it looks like an innocent doodle application when in reality it is much more then that.

Now, since your spectators have seen you launch "Doodle" if they want to know the secret, they can very easily do a search on an iPhone for the "Doodle" app. But now if they did try to search for "Doodle" they WILL find a program called "Doodle" that is nothing more then a simple paint program. Hence the secret is safe unless you knew the app to look for is called "iForce" . . . and obviously when you're performing there is NOTHING on the screen that says "iForce".

I hope that makes things a little bit more clear. It's tough keeping secrets in this age of information, but we gotta do whatever we can to hide the secret from the secret-seekers.

Greg Rostami

I just re read what I quoted from you and did a check on the app store and I realize I interpret the post wrong. Sorry.
But what I am having trouble is with the 2 different numbers the inter part
You can call me Andrew
Cheers
Andrew

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2008
But what I am having trouble is with the 2 different numbers the inter part
I highly suggest reading the included manual, or watching the videos. I read the manual, and it really covers everything you should need to know about the app (from how it works, to how to set certain methods up, etc); it's very, very informative. :)

Sep 1, 2007
lol yeah I just saw the video after playing around with it. Been busy with college application these past few weeks
I really like this app
Cheers
Andrew

Greg Rostami

Jan 20, 2009
Here's a new routine that I started playing with yesterday. This was inspired by an idea from lumberjohn (thank you John, it's REALLY good).

Make sure there are 16 or less different items on a table. You demonstrate how certain words in marketing can influence decisions to buy or reject an item.

Start by writing the item for sale using "Doodle". ;)

"From ALL the items on the table I'm gonna try to sell you ONE of them, I've already written down which item it is . . . let me demonstrate how well these marketing words work."

Have the spec pick any 2 items on the table and then try to use marketing words to influence their decision to buy (keep) one of the two. Let's say they pick fork and napkin, you say "soft napkin, sharp fork" . . . no matter which one they pick, you act like that's exactly the one you were trying to "sell" to them. Remind them how THEY picked both items and THEY eliminated one.

You then pick 2 items (make sure BOTH items are NOT in your preset) and once again you try to sell them on one of the two.(It doesn't matter which one they eliminate since both items are NOT in your preset).

Alternate like this back and forth until you narrow down the decision to only 2 items, and they get to buy (keep) whichever one they want. You turn over the iPhone, and take a bow.

may the Force be with you,
Greg Rostami

P.S. I wonder if Max Maven has an iPhone with iForce on it?!

Greg Rostami

Jan 20, 2009
Hello friends,

First, both Randy and I would like to thank all of you for your support of iForce over the last month. Your generous words and reviews have really inspired us.

Unfortunately, given the secret nature of magic, there's a dark side to what's happened ever since we released iForce.

After 4 days of our release, we noticed an unusually high surge in one star ratings on the App Store. None of those one star ratings had any comments, hence we had no idea why people didn't like our App. We had 3 theories for the one star ratings:

1. People didn't understand iForce
2. Our competition was posting one star ratings
3. The magic community was trying to hide iForce from others

In the last 2 days we now KNOW that almost all of the one star ratings are from reason 3. We started a month ago with a solid 5 star rating, now we're down to 3 stars. Here are a few of the one star ratings:

Amazing!
by holymuffinman on Nov 23, 2009 v1.1
“As long as this app stays on the down low, it will be great. Rate it low so people don’t find out about it.”

Awesom
by stasyschneider on Nov 23, 2009 v1.1
“I love but i dont want everybody to know about it!:)

Nice
by Ticktack12345 on Nov 23, 2009 v1.1
“This app is awesome. I’m rating it down so word doesn’t get out on it.”

And we suspect that other 1 star ratings are for the same reason as above . . .

Much Too Easy for the Average Spectator to Figure Out
by punkin puss and mushmouse on Nov 1, 2009 v1.0
“Looks kind of cool and I had fun playing around with it, but people are not really fooled and they know the hijinks is app related. Gets boring real fast. I added an extra star to my rating though becuase the developers over-hyping of this app is top notch!”

So . . . what I'm about to say is directed towards the people that have been dishonestly giving us bad ratings.

Giving iForce a one star rating so that it is harder to find will only hurt our ability to produce future fabulous apps like this one. Please, rate the app with an honest rating.

There are almost 7 billion people in the world, and only about 50 million iPhones/iPod Touches. iForce is on a very very small fraction of those devices. The chances of you performing for someone that knows about iForce is 1 in 200,000 . . . trust me, you've got NOTHING to worry about.

We perform iForce more then any other trick. We've NEVER had someone say "I already know about iForce."

We've done SO much to accommodate our users in the magic community:

1. Make iForce affordable to everyone
2. We've put all of our marketing money ONLY in the magic community (we haven't marketed to the general masses)
3. Create Recreation Software with "Doodle" for the secret-seekers
4. Remove all instances of the word "Doodle" in any of the search words for iForce
5. Make sure people don't accidentally stumble onto the secret screens.

So with that said, please help us continue the future development of iForce and our other amazing magic apps. If you haven't done so already, please visit our page on the app store and give us your honest rating.
iForceOnAppStore

I don't wanna sound cliche, but you've only seen the tip of the ice berg.

Thank you for your time,
Greg Rostami

Jan 13, 2008
Hey Greg,

I was just wondering if you could please check out your PMs here on T11, as I sent you two (because I forgot to add something to the first), but have yet to receive word back on either of them. There were some pretty important questions regarding the update to the iForce app, and I chose to send them in a PM so as to not expose anything.

Also, I'll be sure to get a rating in as soon as I get an answer back. Not having my questions addressed would actually affect the rating in a negative way, as there was a problem I asked you about concerning the new addition to the app--if there's honestly nothing that can be done about it (until an update), I'll hold off on rating until that update, as I would like to be as fair as possible (which would include knowing if there is a solution to the problem I have faced).

I'll also put up a few performance stories, as I've finally had some time to try out the app on some people outside of my normal circle of friends. :)

But seriously, looking forward to some answers to the PM. Thanks man.

Cheers,

CM

Edit: I just received a reply to my PMs; all my questions were answered. Definitely getting a perfect rating on the app store from me, plus a glowing review on there, as well. Also expect a full, more formal review from me on here (and E), as soon as I get one more performance under my belt (which I'll be doing tomorrow, for one of my girlfriend's friends). Thanks again, Greg! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Greg Rostami

Jan 20, 2009
The iForce Video Contest is ON. WIN $300 !!!

*** THE iForce VIDEO CONTEST IS ON. ***

This is something that we had talked about over a month ago, but we wanted to wait until you had enough of a chance to play with iForce before we started the contest.

1st place prize is $299.99 ;)
2nd place prize is an autographed copy of the STUCK! DVD & the upcoming COSMOS2 DVD
3rd place prize is an autographed copy of the STUCK! DVD

The deadline for the video submissions is midnight December 31st 2009 from your time zone (NO exceptions)

Here are the rules of the contest:
1. You must use iForce for the effect
2. You can mix iForce with other magic effects or props if you wish
3. We have the right to use your video to help promote iForce
4. You must post a public video on YouTube (with the ability to comment turned on)
5. The performance should be of an impromptu setting (if your video seems staged with stooges you’ll be disqualified)
6. You could do a video of yourself doing the effect just for the camera, but we will dock you points for not having a live audience.
7. Do not expose the secret(s) of iForce either intensionally or by a poor performance.

Your video will be judged by both Randy and I. We’re going to try to get a few big names in magic to judge as well, but for now it’s just Randy and I. We hope that other celebrities will contact us about being judges.

Your video is going to be judged based on (in order of importance):
1. The Effect
2. The Performance
3. Creativity (originality, cleverness)
4. Video quality (production quality)

If you want to participate in this contest, or if you have any questions, please email me at:
greg@rostamimagic.com

The winners will be announced on RostamiMagic.com as well as The Magic Café (this forum) on January 10th 2010.

Good luck to you all . . . Randy and I can’t wait to see your videos.
Greg Rostami

Jan 16, 2008
Hey Greg,

So it must be an original effect from us right?
And does the reaction of the audience affect our rating?

Thanks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results