Illusion. Not just magic.

Nov 11, 2009
Hey everyone! I have not posted something in a LONG time so I thought I would try and post something that raises your intrest and makes you think. I am a magician an I LOVE illusion. Illusion is one of the passions that God gave me. But there are more than just magic tricks when it comes to illusion. I am also an artist and as an artist I create anamorphic art. Anamorphosis is a word that most people are unfamiliar with. Anamorphosis means that you must see it with the aid of something else before you can the full effect, Whether that be a certain angle, a mirror or any other tool. Some of you might know about an artist named Julian Beever. He creates 3D sidewalk art using anamorphosis. My question is this. How do these optical illusions relate to the magic tricks we know and love? How are they different? Below I have posted some examples of anamorphic art if you are curious as to what it is.

Julian Beever and his sidewalk drawings.
http://www.julianbeever.net/pave.htm

Anamorphic art using a mirrored cylinder.
http://acidcow.com/pics/9181-amazing-anamorphic-art-19-pics.html

Site of all sorts of different optical illusions.
www.moillusions.com

I hope you enjoy :D

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
You may want to do some research into the psychology of Optics as well as the Sharp encyclopedias about Magic & Psychology.

As an effects developer I'm quite aware of subtle, rarely published "tricks" used in props that make them even more effective such as how a base is trimmed, the color & type of paints or applicate' used on a props finish. For an example, how combining a bright shinny finish of Orange (and certain yellow tints) with electric blue and how it literally "tires" the eye, preventing it from being able to focus too intently on a piece. It's rarely used now days but it's a potent bit of misdirection in which optics, bio-physics and psychology work together (NOTE: Doug Henning used this method a number of times).

You may likewise enjoy the works of Jerry Andrus, he was deeply involved with the concept of physical illusion, not just trickery but specifically how the eye, ear and even our sense of touch can be lead to believe or perceive things in ways that are not "true".

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks for your post Craig, I have now invested in a bright orange suit with an electric blue finish and inside. I don't even need to shout "look! it's Pamela Anderson!" to misdirect people anymore.

Great original post too.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results