I'm losing MY magic ...

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
So the thing is :( ... when i started performing few years back, it was the most extraordinary thing for me, it was amazing that i could amaze people and i was having lots of fun watching the reactions or just being able to perform for someone. I was thrilled whenever someone asked me to perform. BUT now, when i perform, it's not as fun as it used to be, if someone ask me to perform, i think twice if i really wanna perform and i refuse most of the time for no particular reason. It's also not fun anymore to watch the reactions, they go "OMFG or AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH" and i'm like "Yeah" ...

So do you guyz have any tips on how to have fun while performing for other people, or, can u tell what inspires you to just go out and entertain while enjoying it ...

I had a friend who had the same problem, really good with cards, but let it all go because it wasn't fun for him anymore. I don't wanna be like him and give up magic, it's a rare art and I'm privileged to be relatively good at it, I just wanna get the feeling i had couple years ago BACK

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sounds like you're in a rut. You need to change something up. Maybe try a new venue, or just change your presentations. What about the performances is boring for you? As in, why are you just ho hum about their reactions? What reactions do you want?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Take a vacation from magic. Go do other things and recharge your batteries for awhile. After awhile of doing that, then come back to whatever it is you were doing, and you should have a better appreciation of magic.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
Sounds like you're in a rut. You need to change something up. Maybe try a new venue, or just change your presentations. What about the performances is boring for you? As in, why are you just ho hum about their reactions? What reactions do you want?

I guess when you experience something over and over and over, u just get used to it.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
That is true. Maybe a break is what you need. I've gone through slumps like that, but the interest always returns. Maybe you could set yourself a challenge. Like coming up with a presentation that really connects with people on an emotional level. That may be more satisfying for you.

May 3, 2008
Hong Kong
If repetition is whats bothering then don't repeat.
Go for something entirely different.
Perform a new genre in a new venue. Perhaps some stage mentalism, illusions, or what ever.
If you don't already, try to get jobs. Not birthday parties, but job jobs. its always fun to experience earning money for your hobby. You also get excited again as you want to maximize profits so you see how your magic might be better.

I agree with taking like a month vacation from magic altogether. Don't look at any magic websites, don't look through magic books, don't pick up the cards, etc. Just for one month, and by the end, you'll probably really want to start doing magic right away after that!

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You definitely need a break. Just put magic away and go find something to do for a bit then come back to it. It helps when you have a clear head and you're not thinking magic, magic, magic all the time. When I get stuck I play a lot of guitar and I paint a lot. It helps open up more creative ideas for me not only with my art and music but with magic.

Jul 13, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
You guyz are right, maybe a break is what i need. Been performing a LOT a school, when they wanted to see something, not when i wanted to perform. So yeah, thanks for the replies ...

I should also try doing other things than magic, that could help too.

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
You guyz are right, maybe a break is what i need. Been performing a LOT a school, when they wanted to see something, not when i wanted to perform. So yeah, thanks for the replies ...

I should also try doing other things than magic, that could help too.

I think when you want to perform it's better for you as an artist. I can't paint anything unless I want to. If I'm forced to paint or draw I feel pressured and the outcome isn't as good as it should've been. That's how I feel anyway. Maybe, that's why you're so burned out because you didn't want to perform but felt pressured to do it. You just need some relax time man.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Pick up balloon sculpting.

I really love performing magic, but try to take breaks sometime so I don't get burned out. I picked up a DVD on Balloons and it started a fire under me for performing again! It's fun, and definitely something that will go together great with your magic.

Sep 1, 2007
UK
If all you aim for in a performance is a reaction, it's bound to get boring pretty quickly. If all you do is recite tricks again and again and wait for the screams, this is all you will ever achieve. And no, the solution is not just more new tricks.

If you want your performances to be more exciting, you don't just need a reaction, you need interaction. Have fun with your audience. Listen to them and acknowledge their input to the performance, and not only with your audience enjoy it more, but you'll have a much more diverse and enjoyable experience yourself.

Joe

Mar 2, 2008
Yea From November until now I did not touch anything realted to magic at all. Instead I was focused on wrestling on grappling. I havent herd anyone ask at all untill thursday and I just snapped and started routining again.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I remember I spent last New Years Eve with my girlfriend and a group of about half a dozen magician friends. We started early in the arvo, and we basically workshopped effects, messed around, shot stuff, jammed, and talked magic until about 4 AM. After that, I didn't want to go near a deck for another 2 months, it was terrible.

Aside from taking a break, if you can, go watch a professional magician, a good one. It's nice to have the feeling of being a layman again.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
I remember I spent last New Years Eve with my girlfriend and a group of about half a dozen magician friends. We started early in the arvo, and we basically workshopped effects, messed around, shot stuff, jammed, and talked magic until about 4 AM. After that, I didn't want to go near a deck for another 2 months, it was terrible.

Aside from taking a break, if you can, go watch a professional magician, a good one. It's nice to have the feeling of being a layman again.

bloody Sydney community.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
I agree, with what was written above, maybe being magician for so long, you need to become the spectator once more to find what initially sparked your interest. The feeling of amazement. Take a break, and go see a really good live act.

I can tell you this much. I too had that feeling but i have too much riding on magic to quit. What i do is i use Bold methods to keep myself on the edge of the knife all the time.

But moreso what i did was i started reading, educating myself magic wise. Ive been off for over 7 months now, still performing but due to the economy once every month or so and those are free gigs just to keep myself from rusting.

Don't stop all together, just distant yourself for a while still keeping in mind magic and living how you would normally. Read something that talks about performing and the psychology behind it rather than effect books.

M.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results