I'm "new" to magic! Tips/tricks/advice please!

Sep 12, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
It's been a long time since I have done any magic, last time I was on here was in 2008, so about four or five years have passed pretty much since I last took down all my magic DVDs and had a look at all of this.

I'm pretty much just looking for some fun magic that is enough to impress people at a party/do quickly, nothing ultra-serious but better than most people would be able to do.

I've got a fair few DVDs, but they seem to be a lot more advanced than I remember and I don't seem to have as many as I did, they may have been sold/lost I suppose, but here's my list

Control
Torn
David Stone Vol 1+2
Ultragaff 1+2
Xtreme Beginnerz
Distortion
De Ring
Loops 1+2+3 (no loops)
Witness
How To Do Street Magic
Bullet

Which of these have good tricks that could be done at a party with little/no set up?

It's been a while but I might be able to remember some of these tricks and maybe even get back into this stuff a bit more seriously!

Thanks for your time

Felix

May 21, 2011
Bedford, England
'How To Do Street Magic' is pretty much what you're looking for if you want simple effects that you can do at a party with not much skill. 'Witness' and 'Control' are great effects if you present them well (especially Control) but if you just want to impress people, 'Xtreme Beginners' is cardistry/flourishing which is nothing similar to magic but you can use it just to peak some interest. However, it does take a lot of practice to get down well.

Overall, i think you will find a lot of use out of 'How To Do Street Magic'

May 9, 2012
New York
i would do jacobs latter and rubber made by daniel garcia and stairway by marcus eddie. all three are impromptu and look stunning. if you carry 2 rubberbands, a ring, and a dollar you can do all three.

Jul 21, 2012
Hi, if you have being away from magic for a while I would really recommend you to not perform. Take your time to practice again, to prepare and learn your patter very well, as well as the tricks, every single move.
If you perform that way, when you haven´t really worked deeply in every trick you are gonna do, your magic won't be good and maybe not even memorable. And the art of magic is the worst affected.

Jul 22, 2012
I invite you to read a good book called Jerry Baker's Green Grass Magic, it conains a lot of Tips, Tricks, and Tonics for Growing the Toe-Ticklinest Turf in Town
merchant account

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results