Importance of Humor

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
I just Realized that when u ask people here, who is your favourite magician? well most of them will tell u someone who is really "funny" and yet great at what he is doing.

How ever there has not been any topic about the importance of Humor in your patter or how to have Fun when u perform. From my personal experiance having a good sense of humor dramaticly increase your reactions and success. As i believe everyone know how important it is to connect with your public. It is the same in Sales, the most important aspect is to connect with the one u trying to sell your product to, As our product is the magic, and our performance beeing the sale.

So here are some Thoughts on how to be humorous when performing? Since Doing magic is actually the same as doing a Theater play, u have certain moves u do, certain things u say, all pre-scripted. So the best way is possibly write down a funny patter to use beforehand. Having a "canned" patter to use also increase your confidence when you first perform as u know what to say. How ever, only very small percentage of human communication is "VERBAL", that means the more important aspects are your body language, voice tone, how u say it and eye contacts. I recommand you read some books on this topic if u wish to study them further.

Now about how to write down a funny patter, as u got all the time in the world to do this before u perform, u might as well do it GOOD. some people insist on beeing natural, just make it up on the spot, WELL, u know what, why not make good preparation and write down something that U KNOW it is gonna be funny, than thinking it out on the spot when u have more things to concentrate on? the less u have to think the more time u have to apply misdirections or other stuff.
So on to writing funny patter, i recommand the book "Comedy Writing Secrets". really good stuff.

Some people in the forum mentioned using different NLP techniques to their advantage, specially in Mental effects. Personally im no mentalist, but i did study NLP for some time, and it is really a good tool to understand people, alot of times im able to know what someone wants to say before they even say it, or understand what they really want to say instead of what they just said. There are alot of different books on this subject u can find in every bookshop.

Did you know that u can not be both Anxious and Humorous at the same time?
That means to be funny, u have to have a certain light heartedness approach towards what ever it is you are doing. I believe Chris Kenner is a good example of such person, and if u are too serious about it then u can not be funny at the same time. A book i recommand on this topic is "MindOS" So the important thing to remember here is u are out there to have FUN TOO !!, u are doing something u are having fun with, so dont think too much about how others will perceive u, just go out there and have fun.

Discuss away.

Aug 31, 2007
California
I agree.

If you are in a bad mood, please... don't perform. They may ask you to, but just no. You would rather perform when you are in a good mood than when they are asking you to in a bad mood. The performance will not be good...

Sense of humour and being in a good mood is a must for me. Have fun with the audience and they will enjoy it much more.

Keenan

Oct 6, 2007
first let me say i agree that a connection with people helps and having a good sense of humor but that is just an opinion you do not NEED comedy in magic for example look at david blaine he has no personality he says harldy anything when he performs and hes making millions of dollars with hit TV specials and is a well known well liked magicain

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results