Impressive Words

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
I was at a childens party a few hours ago. Like most children's partiyes, there was a magician. I didn't expect much from him (no offense), since he would be focusing on tricks that were more child friendly. I found that he was actually smooth with his sleights but I didn't really like his patter. I didn't like most of his tricks either because I'm not a big fan of stage magic. What I did like though was the theme of the routine. The point that he was trying to make is that magic was an art. Although I think that kind of theme wasn't really for children since they probrably didn't understand. Anyway, what he repetitively said was this, "Magic is not fake, it is an art." I think it's a good line to say espescially to people out there who criticize magic as something fake. No magician really forces people to beleive it is real. They are not saying it is a fake way of demonstrating magical abitlities. Magic is an art form.
I just thought it would be nice to share this with you guys.

Aug 31, 2007
Very nice, I agree with you about the "fakery" parts at the end of your post.

If magic is an art, it is not meant to convince others of the supernatural or the "real magic". It is just about tricking people, much like a conman or a trickster - but the art comes in when the audience actually enjoys the tricks and enjoys being fooled.

That's what makes someone a magician.

- harapan. magic!

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I'd definetly have to agree with you on that. Magic is art, art is usually entertaining, and magic is very entertaining. The greatest part of magic though is that this is one of the only things in the world where tricking someone is respected. I love it

Icy

Sep 6, 2007
From Encarta encyclopedia dictionary:

magic [májjik]
n
1. supposed supernatural power: a supposed supernatural power that makes impossible things happen, or that gives somebody control over the forces of nature.
Magic is used in many cultures for healing, keeping away evil, seeking the truth, and for vengeful purposes.
2. practice of magic: the use of supposed supernatural power to make impossible things happen
3. conjuring tricks: conjuring tricks and illusions that make apparently impossible things seem to happen, usually performed as entertainment

Microsoft® Encarta® Premium Suite 2004. © 1993-2003 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I think the problem is that most people confused number 1,2 with 3, which gives some people the impression that we are "real magicians". So we are not real magicians (1,2) but we are real magicians (3). (Confusing isn't?)

But I think most people knows the difference.

Sep 1, 2007
Philippines
you shouldn't really judge children magicians most of them are also do magic for adults
Let me rephrase what I said. What I meant to say was that I did not expect his performance to appeal to me because the tricks were those that children could easily understand. A magician's performance isn't the same with adults and children. I wasn't judging the man, I was simply saying that I was not expecting to really enjoy the show.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results