Impromptu Mentalism

Sep 24, 2007
Does anybody know where i can find sources for impromptu mentalism. i am quite a beginner in the subject and i am looking for effects that don't require any props (swami, billets, etc.) Does anybody know where i can find Dvd's/books on the subject.

Heck, i'll take any mentalism suggestions

Oct 21, 2007
theres somthing by Luke Jermay called skullDiggers or sumthing, its all improtue mentalism, but im not a huge fan of mind reading...

Sep 24, 2007
thanks!

Corinda's would probably be nice to have.

I have considered Skullduggery (just to have it) but it is probably several notches above my level, eh?

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
I'd steer clear of Skullduggery until you have some mentalism miles under your belt. It is mostly impromptu, but it also deals mostly with effects based on suggestion and audience management. Not easy material for a beginner.

The best impromptu mental effect is cold reading. Learn everything you can about it. It will allow you to turn a simple center tear into a 10 minute miracle.

I can tell from your writing and word choice that you are a smart guy. You probably are into coin magic. I bet you've combed through Bobo's book letter by letter. Studied David Roth's every move. My guess is you have a pretty good spellbound routine you'd like to do more often, and you love your craft enough to put in the work to learn more challenging moves like the muscle pass. Guys like you always have many demands on their time, but make an extra effort to explore some cold-reading resources. You won't be disappointed, and you'll have even better rapport with your magic spectators as a bonus.

(That last paragraph was a little bit of cold reading.)

Feb 3, 2008
Raleigh, NC
I'd steer clear of Skullduggery until you have some mentalism miles under your belt. It is mostly impromptu, but it also deals mostly with effects based on suggestion and audience management. Not easy material for a beginner.

The best impromptu mental effect is cold reading. Learn everything you can about it. It will allow you to turn a simple center tear into a 10 minute miracle.

I can tell from your writing and word choice that you are a smart guy. You probably are into coin magic. I bet you've combed through Bobo's book letter by letter. Studied David Roth's every move. My guess is you have a pretty good spellbound routine you'd like to do more often, and you love your craft enough to put in the work to learn more challenging moves like the muscle pass. Guys like you always have many demands on their time, but make an extra effort to explore some cold-reading resources. You won't be disappointed, and you'll have even better rapport with your magic spectators as a bonus.

(That last paragraph was a little bit of cold reading.)

Do you know of any good sources for learning cold reading? I myself have been slowly inching into Mentalism and do have a bit of Mentalism under my belt, but really want to get into the more intense stuff.

I just found a website that seems to sell some good Mentalism books and effects, please let me know if what they have actually are good things to get. http://trickshop.com/main.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Doug has a great list of cold reading resources summarized and rated
HERE

I'd stick to the old established authors first. I'm not familiar with the site you found. It might be great material, but I don't know anything about them.

Sep 24, 2007
Cold reading is something i've wanted to explore, but i don't know wether it would work as well in a light/upbeat atmosphere. I'm a positive kind of guy.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
Cold reading is most effective when upbeat and lighthearted. The "Forer Effect", on which cold reading depends, is most likely to occur when the reading is positive and casual. We naturally identify with people telling good things about us. We agree with the positive way easier than the negative.
I really think that a good foundation in cold reading will really help your magic all around.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results