Impromptu, Set-up, and Gimmicks

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I'm writing this in the hope that the confused will read it, and clear up some of their misunderstandings of the definitions of the terms below.

Impromptu:
An impromptu effect is one that can be performed at any time, with any deck, and absolutely no previous work required.

Setup:
Setup tricks are simply that. You have, in advance, altered the normal state of the deck in a way to create an effect. For example, adding a duplicate card, placing certain cards in certain orders (e.g. 4-card revelations, etc), or planting a card somewhere are all setups.

Gimmick:
A gimmick is an unnatural object intended to appear natural, in order to create a seemingly impossible effect. For example, many Torn and Restored effects use gimmicks, tricks that use pulley systems, invisible thread, etc., and things like the Invisible Deck, Stripper Decks, weighted decks are all gimmicks.

Hope this helps,
Ben

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
People have different perceptions about impromptu and setup but I see where you're going. There's a hazy line between them. Just do whatever suits you.

Cheers,
Shanku

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
People have different perceptions about impromptu and setup but I see where you're going. There's a hazy line between them. Just do whatever suits you.

Cheers,
Shanku

Not to call you wrong, but I feel the definitions that I gave are pretty universally applicable. Anyone who has a different perception of the words should only use the words in personal notes, so as not to confuse others.

I made the post so that people could refer to something before calling a trick like Distortion "impromptu". It may give the wrong impression to someone who doesn't own it and is looking to purchase it.

Thanks for posting,
Ben

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results