Impromptu Simple Miracles / Puzzles

Jun 29, 2008
I recently got the Daniel Garcia Project, and on volume 3 there is a trick known as Joe Blow. It is insanely awesome. You gather static, shoot it at a piece of paper and it falls over. To prove your not blowing or doing anything fancy to it, you stick a bottle of water or anything in front of it. It falls over on demand. At this point people are grabbing post-it notes (I use post-it notes because its at school and they are normal and blend in, we don't have sugar packets so... Y'know.), and they all attempt to do the same thing. Needless to say it doesn't work. I can't stop laughing in the middle of class because half of the class is sitting there, not listening to the teacher and rubbing themselves to get static, and trying to knock over a piece of paper they have set up in front of them. Now as I'm walking down the hall people are running up to me and begging me too tell them how I do it. I refuse, chuckle, and keep going.

I wanted to know if there are any tricks besides this one that gets that kind of reaction out of a couple hundred people, (rumors spread fast). If it's impromptu that would be a lot better so if someone walks up to me and says, "Hey, you're that kid that does _________, could you show me". I could just do it right then instead of saying no, making an excuse and walking away. (Which I plan on doing anyway, but it would be nice having that as an option.)

The reason I put puzzles in the title is because with half of the people at school attempting it, it might be percieved as a puzzle more so than a miracle, I don't know what they think. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.

One that spreaded around alot for me when I first began, and continues too today is STS by Jay Noblezada.

Here is a review I wrote regarding it:

The Effect

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pPSK5t3br6o

Your Shoelace is Magicially Tied with just a few quick kicks of your foot. Right in front of the spectators eyes.

The Number One Trick on Penguin Magic and has been for as long as I can remember, just proves how fantastic this effect is.

I strongly believe this should be one of the first effects learnt by a new magician.

Magicians are constantly looking at ways to perform magic with every day items, so why not start with The STS which can be performed Semi-Impromptu? (No set up is needed straight before performing, and can be set up before leaving the home and then used as often as needed.)

//The DVD

Starring:
Jay Noblezada

Acar Altinsel - Producer
Maxwell Murphy - Producer
Erik Lee - Editor
Trancenden - Music
Danny Garcia - Graphics
Tony Miller - Publishing - Illustrations
Charles Salter, Rodney Reyes - Special Thanks

The DVD itself is, like all Penguin and Jay Video's it seems, very well produced. Though at times the black studio surroundings can be dull, it lends more focus to the actual illusion itself.

Jay teaches the effect incredibly well, detailing everything you would need to know, giving different situations and set ups, and offering advice on complete specifics in relation to the effect and how to perform it.

Teachings of the 'PreTie' and 'Charles Set Up'just to name two are very well taught, and though perhaps not completely needed, can give the security for a beginner magician, or give you that extra option on performing the trick in different situations.

The only downfall of the DVD is there is limited footage of the effect being shown to an audience, but when they are shown at least, the reactions are fantastic. Especially the first scene in which a young boy is tying his shoes and Jay comes along and performs to him.

The DVD Runs for around 30 Minutes. Also, included is over 2 Hours of Penguin Previews, including some of Jay's other work.

//The Gimmick

The Gimmick is well built, and easily available when needing to be replaced. I personally have several gimmicks built and when performing I use two. The gimmick is very simple, but when I received my package, I was very intrigued by its workings especially being new to the art. It is completely customizable also, which is explained and detailed in the DVD.

The effect cannot be performed in shorts, but has no issues with angles or lightness etc, infact I have noticed the best way to perform it is with Sneakers in broad day light.

//Performing & Experience

After less than one day of practicing this effect I was ready to perform it to an audience without fault, even as a beginner. The effect though is not something that really would be performed on stage or in some cases as part of an act, it is though a fantastic effect to have with you all the time and performing as if to make it out to be completely impromptu while walking around.

When I perform the effect I would usually have my shoe untied while walking around as you are guaranteed someone will point it out, and you can use this opportunity to show off the effect.

I have used the effect over 100 times on the street, and on only one occasion did the effect have issues, though with some patter it was easily covered.

//Summary

DVD

Great footage, Titles and Quality. The only thing I believed was lacking was the lack of performances in public to spectators (Only 3 or so) and also the background of the Penguin Studio, though it gives more focus on the effect with no lights/colours etc it can make longer DVD's harder to watch all at once due to the dull appearance.

The Gimmick

The gimmick is perfect, easy to replace if need, and fantastically designed. With a few small changes I have also created a version in which you can wear shorts when performing, where as the original STS you cannot.

Performing & Experience

Great trick to perform on the street, but very difficult to add into an act without looking too fake or set up.

//Overall

Fantastic for a beginner who is just starting to get into magic. Overall the perfect package for them.

As a Professional Magician, STS is still an item that I would recommend purchasing but would be more useful as a Street Magician or as an illusion to perform 'impromptu' in day-to-day life.

//Price and Sellers (As of 01/01/08)

Penguin Magic $19.95

MJM $19.35

Murphy's Magic Supplies $20.00

AsMagia $19.95

Elmwood Magic $19.95

EMagic TricksUK $39.70

MagicShopUK $23.33

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
THere is a trick where you take a toothpick (the round ones work best), and hold it between your thumb and forefinger. Holding it parallel to the table, you then place a second toothpick resting on the table and the other toothpick. Then the second toothpick begins to jump and bounce. Eventually it just flies off the other toothpick. The description is perhaps not the best. I will see if I can get a vid up.

Mar 2, 2008
"I wanted to know if there are any tricks besides this one that gets that kind of reaction out of a couple hundred people, (rumors spread fast)."

AHHHHHHHHHHHH why do I have to keep saying this!? Its YOUR PRESINTATION not the tricks!! You can perform a heart stoping key card trick if you add your own varation on it and add build up.

I recently got the Daniel Garcia Project, and on volume 3 there is a trick known as Joe Blow. It is insanely awesome. You gather static, shoot it at a piece of paper and it falls over. To prove your not blowing or doing anything fancy to it, you stick a bottle of water or anything in front of it. It falls over on demand. At this point people are grabbing post-it notes (I use post-it notes because its at school and they are normal and blend in, we don't have sugar packets so... Y'know.), and they all attempt to do the same thing. Needless to say it doesn't work. I can't stop laughing in the middle of class because half of the class is sitting there, not listening to the teacher and rubbing themselves to get static, and trying to knock over a piece of paper they have set up in front of them. Now as I'm walking down the hall people are running up to me and begging me too tell them how I do it. I refuse, chuckle, and keep going.

I wanted to know if there are any tricks besides this one that gets that kind of reaction out of a couple hundred people, (rumors spread fast). If it's impromptu that would be a lot better so if someone walks up to me and says, "Hey, you're that kid that does _________, could you show me". I could just do it right then instead of saying no, making an excuse and walking away. (Which I plan on doing anyway, but it would be nice having that as an option.)

The reason I put puzzles in the title is because with half of the people at school attempting it, it might be percieved as a puzzle more so than a miracle, I don't know what they think. Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks.
i personally like danny's effect with the quarter...i think its called chi.....i have used it like every day......and i'm not a danny garcia fanatic.....i like his style, but his stuff isn't for me....but "chi" is a great effect.....

Nov 4, 2009
Muscle pass.

And there's a bar trick where you cover a tabled quarter with your palm(held flat over it) and you simply lift, and the coin comes with.
Very easy, I've had a room of 10 people trying it for a good half hour.

Dare I say it? The Balducci Levitation will make you a god among men if presented properly. I've performed it for several people (who were familiar with it nonetheless), and they still talk about the experience to this day. Needless to say, I very, very rarely do this effect anymore, because the rumors and stories that spread are far better than what actually happens. Give it a go. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

RS.

Perhaps I am the only one here, but why would anything be seen as a puzzle? If this is how your magic is seen then perhaps time to rework your presentation.

The toothpick can be seen on funpartytricks in youtube search. They teach some things on there. That is probably the best of them and it's kind of interesting to watch it actually performed by someone else.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results