impromtu card magic

Sep 1, 2010
hey guys, i've been doing magic for a year now and i've been doing performances for friends, family and so on. my friends always ask me to do a trick for them if i have my cards with me and i got no gimmicks and stuff. i don't want to do ambitious card and all the rreeeaaallllyy basic stuff like double lift and the card changes kind of stuff. so i want to know is there an amazing impromptu card trick that can blow peoples minds and it's very magical. not heaps of sleights, not too hard. just something that is short and sweat but amazing. (not magic with a table. street magic style please)

it would be great if you could post a youtube clip :D

Nov 8, 2009
There's absolutely nothing too basic or simple.
I still use Ambitious card regularly at the restaurant, and it kills...

But anyway, you seem to be kind of bored with what you got, and i respect that...

I suggest you explore the other classic plots in card magic, such as a good Hofzinser's aces, Triumph, and Chicago opener,there are some great, simple handlings of those out there, that really pack a punch..

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
You should check out Back In Time by Jay Sankey. It has the best presentation for the classic triumph routine that I've ever seen. This is the effect that I will do when someone hands me their cards and wanted me to show them a trick.

Jul 14, 2010
Croatia
There's absolutely nothing too basic or simple.
I still use Ambitious card regularly at the restaurant, and it kills...

But anyway, you seem to be kind of bored with what you got, and i respect that...

I suggest you explore the other classic plots in card magic, such as a good Hofzinser's aces, Triumph, and Chicago opener,there are some great, simple handlings of those out there, that really pack a punch..

Although Hofzinser's aces and Chicago opener aren't impromptu (which is what the author of the thread asked for), their set-up time is 10-15 seconds and they're really worth the effort. Also, there are at least 2 versions of Triumph (that I'm aware of) that are designed to be performed standing up.

Jul 13, 2010
Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 20, 2009
Before i site any 'Sources' to gain knowledge from.. what is your 'Character and Persona'? what do you want the Spectator to walk away with thinking? feeling?

Feb 21, 2009
//root
Try Tivo 2.0, Portal by Dan and Dave, Triumph, and Time Machine. Also it would be great to have few duplicate cards and a sharpie. You can use it for card switch or French Kiss by Wayne Houchin.

Jan 2, 2011
Puerto Rico
May I suggest The Biddle Trick by Brad Christian? its pretty simple, and it involves a member of the audience, wich is what makes the effect powerful, since it has no funny moves and no extremely difficult sleight of hand. It is very powerful, if performed correctly of course. I leave you the link to the performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWc4bai3R9A You may also consider search for self working tricks, those are pretty simple and require basically no sleight of hand whatsoever, only good presentation.

Jan 9, 2011
Seems like your need is based off of context of "any given deck". To be performed anytime a family member GIVES YOU a deck of cards. Knowing a VARIETY of impromptu magic is a must. Now I understand that you say, nothing simple. But usually these statements occur when you have been bringing out only the "big guns".

Not every trick has to have an effect that makes people SCREAM. But if you CAN make every effect do that, it'll make you a better magician. Seems to me that what you need most is impromptu presentation and framingpractice. Learn to build suspense, get girls to beg you to tell them how you did it, (even if it was a simple double lift). Don't be lazy and let the trick work for you. Then when you do pull out the big guns, with your enhanced performance skills, they won't just be screaming, they'll be asking for your number.

These are the tricks I do on a regular with any given deck:
ACR (with bent card, card in mouth, or disappearing deck closer)
2 Card Monte (where 2 Qs in their hand turn into 2 Aces, performed by David Blaine) I sometimes frame this as a memory test.
Fisherman Trick (A simple sandwhich trick that utilizes, yes 1 double lift) that still gets killer results.
Quick Trick
Do as I Do/Turnover Pack (Their card is flipped upside down from the rest of the deck)
No Risk Poker (Always win every hand, they pick any 5 cards.) Seen from *This Is Mentalism
Shuffle Cut Deal (Takes 5 seconds of prep, but can be done with any deck)

Hope this helps develop your presentation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results