Improving The World: China

Improving the World... One Interaction At A Time.
A Performers Guide to Cultural Interactions
By William Draven

As an actor at a major motion picture studio, and theme park in Hollywood, as well as a magician I frequently get the opportunity to entertain for from all over the world. A year ago or so a document was released within our entertainment department that outlined different countries, and some good information you can use to create meaningful, lasting encounters with their people.

I immediately saw the advantage of this information for the magician community because what are we if not entertainers? We can use just about any tool at our disposal to help create that one magic moment with our audience that can make it even that much more memorable. So I got permission to share the information with you. Of course this project will take some time to post up, so I'll be updating this based upon two factors. The first being how well received, and appreciated it is from you the community, and the second how relevant the community feels this information is as applied to their lives. That is to say if not encouraged, I won't keep it up. Otherwise, I'll post new threads titled: "Improving The World: {country name}" that that specific file relates to.

Without any further delay, I bring you our next country: China

Continental Location: Asia
What They Call Themselves: Chinese
Primary Language: Mandarin Chinese
Secondary Language: Cantonese Chinese
Prominent Cities: Beijing [capital], Shanghai, Tianjin, Shenyang
Famous Sites: Forbidden City; Great Wall of China
Currency: Yuan

Starter Phrases in Phonetic Mandarin:
Hello: Nin Hou (NEE how)
Welcome: Haunying Guanglin (hoo-wan ying gwan-leen)
How are you?: Neih hou ma? (hoo-wan ying gwan-leen)
Goodbye: zaijian (zye-shee-an)
Thank you: xiexie (SHEH-SHEH)
You’re Welcome: bu yong xie (BOO yong sheh)

Cultural Notes:
Prominent People/Celebrities: Yao Ming (7’6” NBA superstar, Houston Rockets); I. M. Pei (architect; louvre Pyramid in Paris, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland; Nascar Hall of Fame in Charlotte).
-China is the world’s largest Communist state and 3rd largest country by square miles on Earth. Their national anthem is the “March of the Volunteers.” The current President is Hu Jintao. Civil war following WWII resulted in the creation of two Chinas (PRC & ROC). Chairman Mao led the PRC until his death in 1976.
-Chinese New Year begins on the 1st day of the 1st Lunar month of the year. 2009 was the year of the Ox. In order; the 12 year rotate through: Ox, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Horse, Sheep, Monkey, Rooster, Dog, Pig, and Rat. Year of the Tiger began February 14th, 2010. We are currently in the year of the Rabbit.
-Shanghai is the most populous city in China with over 18 million strong. The walled City God Temple forms the core of the old city of Shanghai. Today the “City God Temple” not only refers to the large temple complex, but also the traditional district of commerce in the city, surrounding it.
-The two major rivers in China are the Yellow River, and the Yangtze.
-Beijing hosted the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. The spectacular opening ceremonies were centered in the massive, state of the art Beijing National Stadium or “Bird’s Nest.” NBC were the major broadcasters of these Olympics. China led the Gold medal count; the US led overall. Michael Phelps (swimming) Usain bolt (track, “the World’s Fastest Man”) were among the breakout stars.
-The Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses of Qin Shi Haung the First Emperor of China dating from 210 BCE, were discovered in 1974 by some local farmers near Xi’an, Shaanxi province, China near the Mausoleum of the first Qin Emperor. The figures include strong warriors, chariots, horses, acrobats, and musicians. Current estimates are that in the three pits containing the Terre cotta Army there were over 8,000 soldiers, 130 chariots with 520 horses and 150 cavalry horses, the majority of which are still buried in the pits.
-Dragon boat racing (very long and narrow canoe-style human-powered boats used in the team paddling sport) originated in China 2000 years ago. Competition has taken place annually for more than 20 centuries as part of folk ritual. It emerged as an international “sport” in Hong Kong in 1976.
-When it comes to Chinese food, there are eight main regional cuisines, or Eight Great Traditions: Anhui, Cantonese, Fujian, Hunan, Jiangsu, Shandong, Sichuan and Zhejiang.

What To Avoid:
Conflict with ethnic Tibetans and Dalai Lama. General lack of what we call the Bill of Rights: especially, freedom of religion, press and speech. Human rights violations; Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results