Sep 23, 2009
Hey fellow magi! Just recently getting back into magic. I posted here years ago but that was. . .well years ago!

I've recently seen a version of faro that I've come across in the past but had no interest in learning. I saw it on Daniel Madison's YT channel for 'The Broken Bridge False Shuffle Tutorial.' (I won't provide a link here because I don't know if that's allowed)

Basically when the cards are on the table you split them into two packets while holding them on the outside of their long ends and then, lifting both packets off of the table, you bring them together and they weave from the bottom up. Looks knacky as hell but that's why I like it. Now that I'm back into card magic I find myself more interested in the 'move monkey' stuff.

Q: Does anyone know what this is called and, if you do, could you direct me to some resources to learn it from?

Fank x! ;-)

Jul 6, 2019
It's actually not that hard to do (at least it wasn't for me) and Madison teaches it somewhere, maybe in one of his masterclass videos, I'll look for it and get back to you.

Reactions: TheMerryPup
Jul 6, 2019
Well, I couldn't find it in Madison's stuff, but it is taught in the Trilogy by Dan and Dave, which is generally a highly recommended work for card sleights.

Sep 23, 2009
Well, I couldn't find it in Madison's stuff, but it is taught in the Trilogy by Dan and Dave, which is generally a highly recommended work for card sleights.
OK, thanks! FYI: in the hours since I first posted this I've been trying to feel out the move and I think I've got it. I just have to refine it. Thanks again for taking the time to look!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It's taught in Expert Card Technique, page 65 of the Dover edition. Pro tip, depending on how the cards you are using are cut, you will change how you perform the table faro, either from the top down or bottom up. It can be a real headache if you try to go against the grain while learning.

Nov 3, 2018
Pro tip, depending on how the cards you are using are cut, you will change how you perform the table faro, either from the top down or bottom up. It can be a real headache if you try to go against the grain while learning.
Just what I was about to say. To go into a little more detail: Most cards have what Richard Turner calls the modern cut. That means that the cards are cut from the back to the front, very slightly beveling the edges of the cards, so you have a slightly rounded edge at the back of the cards and a slightly sharper edge at the front. I believe Bikes, Tally-Hos and also DM's decks have this modern cut.
Other cards, like Bees or Richard Turner Golden Standards, have the "classic cut": The card are cut face first, reversing the effect, so the rounded edge is on the face.

What does that mean for the faro? The rounded edge on the face facilitates the normal riffle-style faro, while the rounded edge on the back facilitates the in-air faro. If you only have Bees in the house (unlikely though it is), you can simply turn them face up to practice the move.

Hope this helps!

Jul 6, 2019
It's worth noting though that this really doesn't matter much once the cards are broken in a bit. It's only really important if you want to bust out a sealed deck and faro it into stack right away or something like that.

Sep 23, 2009
Just what I was about to say. To go into a little more detail: Most cards have what Richard Turner calls the modern cut. That means that the cards are cut from the back to the front, very slightly beveling the edges of the cards, so you have a slightly rounded edge at the back of the cards and a slightly sharper edge at the front. I believe Bikes, Tally-Hos and also DM's decks have this modern cut.
Other cards, like Bees or Richard Turner Golden Standards, have the "classic cut": The card are cut face first, reversing the effect, so the rounded edge is on the face.

What does that mean for the faro? The rounded edge on the face facilitates the normal riffle-style faro, while the rounded edge on the back facilitates the in-air faro. If you only have Bees in the house (unlikely though it is), you can simply turn them face up to practice the move.

Hope this helps!
It helps a lot. Thanks for the response!

BTW I have several decks of Turner Golden Standards as well as Bees and also the first edition of the Tahoe reprints that were issued some years back, (2013?), and those seem to be traditionally cut as well.

Sep 23, 2009
It's taught in Expert Card Technique, page 65 of the Dover edition. Pro tip, depending on how the cards you are using are cut, you will change how you perform the table faro, either from the top down or bottom up. It can be a real headache if you try to go against the grain while learning.
Thanks, Josh!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results