In Regards to the Former theory11

Aug 1, 2008
I am only expressing my opinion so please do not slander, I'll try not to offend.

I am a little lost in my return to this site. Maybe it's just me, but I preferred the 1on1 section. Not only because it was my fine tuner to many effects I already used, but also because there were tricks and tidbits to magic that I've never seen used in those ways. I remember learning Aaron Fisher's pieces, as well as D+M's and Wayne Houchin's, just to state a few. This may sound a bit ignorant, yet I don't see much originality in the new effects posted. Just repeats from previous effects. Of course you find the diamond in the rough time to time, yet I haven't found new application ideas that are truly original. I would like to see a little more input on how this site can become better. I always liked seeing something different on Theory 11, not a new take on an original effect. Right now, it seems we're focused on fooling other magicians, and not considering the laymen and novices. I hope you all consider submissions before you throw out something that you're not positive is perfect. I love this site, but I'd hate to see it dwindle. Right now it appears like it is faltering, so please heed what I'm saying. I only wish to help.

Best Regards Theory 11,

Ryan T.

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
First, there's nothing wrong with preferring the 1-on-1 section. But there are some DVD's that could still help fine-tune and give new perspectives and ideas to your magic. Like BeLIEve by Joel Paschall, he doesn't just teach a method, he gives new ideas on how your magic can be presented and how you can look at the entire art in a different way.

About the "focusing on fooling magicians" part, I think that they have a nice balance. Some tricks are meant to do that (Twitch, Eclipse, Ref4m, etc.) But then there are other tricks that are highly visual and will appeal to beginners and laymen (Alchemy, Dresscode, Transit) Personally, I think that the people here at theory11 are trying to keep it equal between the two and since magicians enjoy both categories, they're doing a good job at it.

And lastly, submissions. I don't think you understand how many submissions they get on a DAILY basis. They are theory-freaking-11 and with their growing popularity, they will only continue to get more and more submissions and they don't just pick things randomly. You could ask anyone on their creative team and they will tell you that they take time to look at every submission and they only consider the best. Maybe they don't take nearly as much time as they would've in the past but like I said, they are growing and there are only 24 hours in the day and as fair and perfect it would be, they can't spend too much time on each and every submission that isn't completely amazing and up to par with their standards.

I hope I don't come off as angry, judgemental, or anything of the like. I'm just stating my opinion like you are and I see where you would get the idea from the things you said but there are some things about this company that's changed. And some changes are good, and some changes are bad. Personally, I believe that the majority of theory11's changes have been beneficial and necessary to keep theory11 as productive as possible at this point in time.

I hope you all consider submissions before you throw out something that you're not positive is perfect. I love this site, but I'd hate to see it dwindle. Right now it appears like it is faltering, so please heed what I'm saying. I only wish to help.

To be quite fare Ryan unless you're looking at their earnings report for the past fiscal year or even the past six months, and can do a chart to show the trend I really think that making a statement of them "faltering" is a bit unfounded.

Judging only on their insane success with Smoke last year, and their continuing steady releases of new products from respected minds I can only assume they know what they are doing as a company.

You mention that you haven't seen any new applications; I have to ask if you've seen Genesis 2, Watermark, or Digital Dissolve, or The Hole Thing, just to name a few? All three are fairly new releases, and all three are amazing applications!

I'm sorry you feel like theory11 isn't on the right track, but I personally think they've got a great team, partnerships with some brilliant artists, and enough creativity to push them on for some time to come.

May 12, 2011
Sorry for interrupting. My question might be off topic. I would just like to ask why they removed the battle arena? Thanks!

There has been a big leap in Theory11 since the last site.
I still remember the cool navigation bar which just marveled me everything i rolled over it.
Theory11 to me was a secret society of Advanced magicians and beginners such as my self at that time. It was a crazy bond, feeling that you were apart of something big. Treasure hunts with your buddies, especially whatistheory11.com , that was insane. Also 1-on-1 was absolutely awesome, the idea and premise was really cool, but after they started getting materials that needed a bit more than 15 minutes to teach something they had to think of a new plan. But i would still love the tradition to go on, i mean, i still use 5Speed on a day to day basis.

But i think the main reason Theory11 has changed for you, and for me is that it has grown. The secret society has become a widely known and widely expressed culture and theory11 has become more of a company than a friend, which might not be bad but i feel that the connection between the artists has become narrower. Although the forums have survived most of the brutal attack of time the old generation is being represented by only a few and the old topics i used to ask and answer are now coming back for their second or third go around. Essentially we have grown and theory11 has grown, i just want to believe that the young guys get as much information out of this joint as i did back in the day.

M.

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
We are informed by our past, but we don't live in it. We constantly innovate, advance, and try new things. We're not afraid of something not working out exactly how we intended. While our site, members, and artists have continued to expand, it is exactly that growth that will provide for new life and new blood in an industry that so desperately needs it.

Our culture and our community remains the same. Our core team is closer than ever, with constant creative collaboration day in and day out from familiar faces - and some new artists you will meet and learn a lot from soon. As a company, and as a community, we must always be open to trying new things and welcoming in new artists with open arms. You never know who will be the next Jason England, Daniel Garcia, or Calen Morelli. Calen propelled himself to the top with nothing more than a webcam, some household materials, and the audacity to challenge himself.

Most importantly, we're having a blast in the process - whether we're shooting The Insider, recording a new podcast, or just eating sushi. As I write this from Cincinnati, Andrei Jikh is passed out in his hotel room after an 8 hour shoot this morning. Particularly in light of our recent partnership with the United States Playing Card Company, you guys have a lot in store. We're fighting hard, but we're doing so out of passion, not obligation.

We are far from perfect (the Battle Arena didn't quite pan out as we imagined), but that's okay. It is out of that will to try that we can develop new things. And out of that past, with your support, we can together make an amazing future. Cheers to that.

Jun 5, 2010
New York, New York
Now I haven't been with T11 since the beginning. But i've been around for a little while now. It's really amazing what T11 has done. They really are the major factor that got me into magic. And since then my life has changed in a lot of ways. I've experienced things that I would not have otherwise. And some of those things have become some of my best memories. Now yes T11 has changed a bit lately. I mean I still remember downloading a new 1 on 1 and getting all pumped to learn something new when I heard the creepy piano intro. But like all things T11 is going through an evolution. Now if they stayed the same they wouldn't be following their goal. They wouldn't be advancing. They would after some time be at a standstill. I think that instead of complaining you should take into consideration just how hard these people work to provide you with one you know what of a place to learn and to grow. I think that we all owe JB and the rest of the T11 staff a well deserved thank you. But hey if the recent downloads really irk you that much take up some initiative and create something new. And then try to maybe market it to T11. Magic is a community. If we all work hard together we will all grow together. I mean we cant rely on guys like Garcia or Houchin to create everything. Granted they have and will without a doubt continue to create amazing effects that just make you want to practice and learn every single in and out of them. But if in your mind there really hasn't been anything new in a while go create something. Don't just sit around and complain about it. Try your best to do something to give back to the community.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results