In the Mind of a Hobbyist - Pragmatism

Apr 22, 2009
Hey everyone!

My name's Mark, and this will be my first post in a LONG time. Hey, it may even be in the wrong thread category, but I'm pretty sure it's fine to put it here.
Anyway, I wanted to make a post as someone who has been in magic - as a hobbyist - for a very long time. I've learned things, and much of them were learned by making mistakes. For example - don't judge a trick by its trailer (need I say more?), but one thing that has become extremely important to me, almost my main philosophy in magic is that of pragmatism.

In other topics, such as morality, that's not a good thing to have. But in magic, I find it very essential, especially for a hobbyist. Let me elaborate.

Pragmatism basically means prudence or practicality. So, in the realm of magic (ha, magic realm, see what I did there?... I need to get out more) this would refer to only doing tricks that are practical. Not necessarily easy, though. It could still be mechanically difficult, but I'm referring to tricks that don't take up much pocket space, don't have long prep times, don't have ridiculous cleanups, and don't use props that look like they're from a cartoon.

I watch the Wizard Product Review every Wednesday (just realized I missed today's episode!). I know everyone has an opinion on it, and hey, I know I wasn't too happy when I bought a trick because they praised it, only to dislike it and never use it. But I still like their show. It's entertaining, and I like seeing what's being released into the market every week. One thing that they have said, though, (both Craig and David, I think) on more than one occasion, is something that I have always disagreed with, at least on a personal basis.

I considered looking up the statement, but figured I'd go into video limbo swimming through all the episodes for one quote. But they basically would say, in reference to a trick that they reviewed, that "This isn't good for professional work, but it's good for a hobbyist." They would say this because of the impracticality of an effect. It doesn't work for the professional, because the professional needs to be practical (there's that word again), but the hobbyist is fine because he can just show it to Bob and Billy down the street while they shoot the breeze on Saturday.

Now, to quit with the embellishing, I understand what they're saying, in the sense that a hobbyist has time to do an impractical effect because he could go out on a given day and just have that one effect on him. But now let me tell you why I differ from Craig and Dave in their opinion on hobbyists:

Because I am a hobbyist, I am the most pragmatic person you'll meet in regards to magic. And I think other hobbyists should have this outlook too.

I carry around Extreme Burn 2.0 sometimes - it fits in my pocket, it's examinable.
I carry around cards sometimes - they fit in my pocket, they do multiple tricks
I don't do tricks that make me excuse myself to the restroom, necessarily...
I don't do something that makes me walk around with things all hooked around myself and strapped to myself and attached to myself and distracting myself (I'm turning into a cyborg with all this stuff on me!)

However, in regards to that last thing in the list, a professional might be completely fine with things like these, if they make an effect that's worth the effort. Sure, he has to consider practicality to, but he may be willing to go out of the way more since he's getting paid to give the audience a good experience. Certain things will be worth it for him.

CONCLUSION: As a hobbyist, I like to live practically. I took a semi-break from magic, but now that I'm going to do tricks to people every-now-and-then, I don't want to leave home everyday with a bunch of junk on me that I may or may not do. Pragmatism, it's something I think you should have as a hobbyist.

Sorry for a long post, but I felt that everything said was necessary.

What do you think? Are you a pragmatist like me? Or are less practical tricks worth it for you to make an amazing effect happen? No wrong answers, but this is just how I think of magic as a hobbyist.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Personally, I like to keep things fairly simple. If I am out and have a feeling I'll be wanting to perform, I'll carry a deck of cards, a loop on each wrist (for when I break one), the materials for my coin bend, my ring (ungimmicked), a Sharpie, a pen and a small notepad. About half the time I also carry a reel.

I think there's a problem with your thought process, though. Being pragmatic (or minimalist, in my mind) isn't a matter of being a professional or not. It's a matter of wanting to carry a lot of stuff or not.

The word 'professional' is also too vague to apply to this concept. A professional might be someone doing a stage show a week if they are getting a really good fee for that stage show. They could be rigged to the gills with gimmicks and set ups. No problem, because they are going to perform and then leave the stage and be able to get rid of anything they need to get rid of. However, the guy doing multiple strolling gigs a week could also be professional and would need less complicated material to work with. They won't be able to have a lot of devices on them, or complicated set ups with long resets, because they have to do 50 sets a night.

If I'm doing a parlor or stage show, I have no issues with gimmicking the bejeebus out of myself and anything around me to achieve what I'm going for. I'll lay a friggin' spider web of IT in a room if I need to.

But when I'm doing something more casual like a strolling gig or one of my out-on-the-town promo nights, I'm going to go far more minimalist. It's all about anticipating what you're going to be doing and what you'll be able to deal with in regards to set up and reset and all that jazz.

Dec 29, 2011
Its odd to say that a hobbysist should have pragmatism, or in the context, a need for practicality. I think of it more as what kind of hobbyist are you? Purism comes into this, using myself as the example I love purism in magic, sleight only stuff very much appeals to me because it feels so much like real magic. Borrowed objects, a deck of cards, regular objects can be manipulated in such a way, with nothing extra added, to do impossible things, its more like its you doing the magic. My practice has a basis in juggling, so maybe this is why it appeals to me as a hobbyist.

However, a hobbyist may not be pragmatic at all, such as the case of the statements in wizard product reviews. Theres not much to say here as my point would be the same as theirs, professionals may not be bothered to put time and money into impractical magic that they wont be able to fit into a routine, or use, because they are relying on it to make a living. But the hobbyist might do it for the magic itself.

I'm guilty of this myself a little actually. I don't think I've ever performed impractical magic, however in a specific scenario I have and will spend money on something I know I am not likely to use, as support, and interest, and because of the artist in question, I know I'm going to gain something from the purchase anyway, plus its probably going to be cheap.

But yeah, unfortunately I don't perform much magic anymore, as I don't attend anywhere near as many parties, or have anywhere near as much time as I used to. So I would say a definite yes, I'm a pragmatic hobbyist, but I'm sympathetic towards the other side too.

Aug 17, 2010
If it's a hobby, it should be pursued to give the greatest enjoyment and fulfilment - that's what hobbies are for. Some people like to collect Tenyo tricks, some rare books, some people like something else entirely. Some just want to buy everything, and maybe perform it, maybe not.

There are many ways to pursue a hobby.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
If it's a hobby, it should be pursued to give the greatest enjoyment and fulfilment - that's what hobbies are for. Some people like to collect Tenyo tricks, some rare books, some people like something else entirely. Some just want to buy everything, and maybe perform it, maybe not.

There are many ways to pursue a hobby.
I'm going to agree. I've got another (non-paid) gig in a week, then every Saturday in June, but it's still a hobby. It's still fun and theater.

I found a middle ground with props. I perform cups and balls with an odd magic wand found on ebay, which matches the colors of my wood & slate mind-reading board. I keep a deck of cards around mostly for one performance, but with an ACR as a fall back. When on stage, I'll even be happy to perform with ropes and linking rings.

Where I'm at, it's down to asking what I can load in five minutes, unload in five then set up in five. But, where I'm at, I have an area set aside to perform in.

I do carry rubber bands and a haunted key just about all the time lately. There's typically a set of cards around, too. Then I have a backup for when people ask, "you do magic?" And, I'll agree a little, I don't really carry the cards because they take up more space than is comfortable.

IF you are doing magic as a hobby then the important thing is that you're having fun. I would hope that you enjoy expanding your material, building your library, and exploring new and exciting tricks that you can amaze your friends with as they come along. Run at your own pace, and to hell with what anyone thinks about your presentation, look, character, or shoe laces. As long as you're having fun that's all that matters.

IF you are a working professional then it's all about the money. Finding an image, act, themes, and material that you can market to obtain paying gigs. It's a job. It's a career. It's a hell of a lot of work, blood, sweat, and tears, not to mention sacrifice.

Honestly the two are apples and oranges, but at the end of the day I'd say it comes down to passion. You have to have passion to do magic. If you don't love what you're doing you're act will suffer and either you'll find a new hobby, or a new profession.

Apr 22, 2009
Its odd to say that a hobbysist should have pragmatism, or in the context, a need for practicality. I think of it more as what kind of hobbyist are you?

Couldn't agree more. I guess I shouldn't have put as should. Thanks for the input. And in regards to buying tricks you won't use, I've felt the same way! There's always been one coin through glass trick that I wanted to buy (I still haven't, but maybe I ought to!) just because it looked so cool, but I know that I won't be walking around with it. That feeling, to me, is almost reminiscent of that initial feeling of wonder you get as a beginning magician.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
There are some tricks that I never figured out which I don't buy to preserve that feeling of at least one thing I just don't know. It reminds me that even though I do know a fair bit by now, it's a drop in the ocean.

But I also sometimes buy things that I know I won't use in the context they are presented, because I'm hoping I can take pieces of it and apply it to other tricks or presentations.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm totally gobsmacked. . . someone that disagrees with me! That's unheard of!

Then again, it's just about as rare as those that take my words out of context in that I do not say to newcomers to not be aware of what out there, I tell them to not get sucked in by the hype and focus on the latest new nifty doodads.

When we give ourselves permission to chase after such things we quickly loose the pragmatic in exchange for the automatic; the "I Must Have" syndrome that's already destroying western civilization in that there really very little out there that you "must" have and just because you have the money to spend doesn't mean you have the "right" to own it. . . there is no reason in the world for a "hobbyist" to own a top of the line Hold-Out for an example; it's a huge waste of money on their part in that the more common device sells for about a third of that top end model and will allow the hobbyist to accomplish more than enough, smooth enough to appease their ego and audience alike. That top end gimmick is made for the WORKING PRO because it must endure a great deal of "abuse" -- the kind of treatment that comes from regular use throughout the day, traveling, etc.

We can hold that same analogy to numerous odds & ends but it really comes back to the fact that the hobbyist of today is rarely "pragmatic" when it comes to the "give me" syndrome and how they oogle and drool with each new "thing" that comes jotting down the highway.

Pragmatically I am usually the guy telling people to BUY A BOOK in that dollar for dollar books give you far more information and material than any video/DVD, Web Seminar and of course, individual effect will ever deliver. In fact, some books out there will tell you exactly how to do that effect everyone else is yammering about, so you can make your own custom version and enjoy it while the others are still saving their pennies in hope of some day possessing one that looks like everyone else's.

Pragmatically speaking, I'm also the guy that tells people to not run around with pockets stuffed to the gills with junk. Many a mage is guilty of this particular habit because of their ego and desire to show off rather than the logic behind the old "Less is More" axiom. Mentalist especially, needn't be loaded down with tricks & whistles, we're supposed to be "Psychics" for cry'n out loud, that means we can work in the nude if need be.

But what's "Pragmatic" to the guy that loves doing Card or Coin Magic isn't the same thing as it would be to the weekend warrior that does shows on the weekend and has a love affair with grand illusions. In that world the mage must consider what effects and methods are most practical to him based on the kinds of audiences he'll play the most and under what kind of setting. For the majority of us that means working a raised platform in an open air setting without the benefit of lighting, quality sound or even curtains which instantly voids our ability to do a huge number of effects . . . the pieces we may want to feature, such as an aga levitation rather than a Blaney Suspension or Girl on a Broom. Then again, it means that we will be a bit more than 2/3rds surrounded and so we must use a single trap "top loader" Sub Trunk instead of a back or end trap let alone dual traps . . . even how the hoop fits is all a part of what must be considered in order to invest in what it PRACTICAL.

You will find that very few major name performers know what's current in the magic world. I've seen several notables of my younger years, get blown away by effects that had become passe by the time they got to see them performed. The point being that it really isn't practical (pragmatic) to be waiting with baited breath when it comes to the monthly releases and reviews. Especially if you're actually working as a showman and tending to matters in the real world that exist outside of magic (and contrary to what skeptics may tell you, there really is a life outside of magic.)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results