Insights needed upcoming stage magic for 700 people

Dec 22, 2019
Dear All,

I am having an upcoming event , in which I am asked to perform at peak hours for 10 minutes. I won't think mentalism add beauty to it. If I am including any such interactive effects , I don't think I can perform more magics within this timeframe. At the same time I want to show best of magics as this is a good event which will give me more recognition. Any suggestions or recommendations in what to perform and how to ?

Thanks
Aravind V.K

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
How long do you have to prepare?

What kind of material do you already know very well that you could do for this size audience?

It's really not a great idea to take any gig if you don't already know what you'd perform in the situation, and without knowing you, what you know, your style of performance/character - it's very difficult to make useful suggestions.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Old stand-bys like Professors Nightmare, the Invisible Deck, and the Wakeling Liquid Sands are what I fall back on for these kinds of performances.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
Dear All,

I am having an upcoming event , in which I am asked to perform at peak hours for 10 minutes. I won't think mentalism add beauty to it. If I am including any such interactive effects , I don't think I can perform more magics within this timeframe. At the same time I want to show best of magics as this is a good event which will give me more recognition. Any suggestions or recommendations in what to perform and how to ?

Thanks
Aravind V.K
What is the audience like and what do you already know that'd be relatable to the audience?

That would be a good place to start imo.

Dec 22, 2019
Thanks a lot for the responses . Usually my style of show is ( dont know if this is my confidence issue, but worked well many times ) : I used to make my show lengthy with my interactive magic like below : ( This always gave me good response)
Interactive Magics :
- Marked Card clubbed with calling a friend of mine
- I can I can't - For this effect I call one spectator and ask him if he can bend a steel spoon his mind's power. He will say No. Then I will
if he can bend a picture of fork . Answer : No. Then I will tell him because of his attitude he came weak, etc etc . Then I will use non-tearable paper torn form a pad , writes "I CAN'T" on one side and he won't be able to tear it. Then I will do some talks , empowers him , do some magical stuffs. then the steel spoon will be already bent in his pocket. The fork picture is already bent ( Bending fork picture magic) . Then finally I will write "I CAN" on one side of the paper and ask him to try to tear - He tears it ( through the slit already made)
- Diamond pip card
- Magician's Insurance Policy
- Inject 2.0 - Newly added item in my list . I will call two spectators A and B. will ask A to launch www.google.com in his phone's browser and think a word about B and search it. I will use the meaning of that word to emotionally connect A's mind with B. Then I will look A's phone and searched word and make the google page clear ( home page of google) . Then I will give A's phone to B and ask B to touch that phone some time and place it upside down. B will then select a card from my deck of cards without looking into that card B will place the card also upside down near to phone. No one knows what card it is including magician. Then I will ask B to give his phone. I will launch google page in B's phone and give that phone to A. A will search a word about B. that is it....Magic is done. B's selected card's image will come in A's phone google image page ( placed upside down). And A's searched word will be predicted by Me. So far this got good response. But not sure it will work with large group. Because when I showed this in front of 300 people 40-50 % people got distracted( There were no LCD screens to project) . Finally the selected will disappear from deck and I used to produce it from my fire wallet as burned.
- Slush powder water vanish with one kid called from Audience with some comedy - I like this always

So the above kind of magics are my favorites and I am comfortable to show. But as there is nothing visual I will add some items alternatively or after two or three interactive magics just to show them I am a magician as everyone is now behind mentallis,. That includes below :
- TT silk streamer with kerchief
- Dove pan with dove in India. In US i never performed with Doves so usually use flower fountain and silk streamer
- Balloon Silk frame
- Aqua change vase
- Mouth Coil Mylar
- Polka dot silk
- Gift Cube boxes from Empty paper bag
- Multiplying bottle
- Umbrella production - from belt
- Instant appearing tie ( Not an usual item for me )
- Mirror Production Box

So I explained these just to give an idea about myself. I felt like for the upcoming opportunity if I am going with my interactive magics It won't add much values. Also it will take more time. Always I used to show for 30-40 magics so that I can adjust my show with my interactive mentallism and conjuring. But here I am little bit confused. I can show the able visual ones. But I am feeling like it is little bit outdated. Also wondering if I need to invest in more as this show is a kind of advertisement and will give me more birthday magic and I won't get paid for this big event. Please advice. I am feeling to proud to be a new member to this group. I was following this for years to read the reviews , but recently became the member.
I have one month to prepare
The ones I bought and never/rarely performed :)
- Pro thumber
- Taratula
- Racer Wallet
- Eternity - performed one and got good response

Thanks and Regards
Aravind , Myztiq

Dec 22, 2019
Old stand-bys like Professors Nightmare, the Invisible Deck, and the Wakeling Liquid Sands are what I fall back on for these kinds of performances.
Thank you for your suggestion. I had performed the first two, but not the Liquid sands yet. But for the last few years I had not peformed Professors Nightmare, don't know why - may be because of my false thought that it became outdated.

Regarding invisible deck - Yup it is still my favorite. I always show it along with my maked deck. I would ask one spectator to take one deck full of cards placed on table. Then I will take another deck of cards and place it on table ( Invisible deck) and will tell : "Some part of my career for few years was monitoring and production support job , so thus one dec of my cards also got the habit of monitoring whatever is happening nearby , etc etc.. :) I will ask him to check the cards and shuffle. The ask him to select one card without looking which card it is and ask him to place the remaining heap of cards face up on the table. Then ask him to insert the selected card face down in between the face up card heap and place the entire cards into the Deck back.

Then I will take the invisible deck and show one card face down and shows which card it is....when he checks his deck same card is there as upside down. People used to go crazy with this as I never touched their card, didn't even ask which card they selected, even he doesn't know what card he selected. But the process he done is copied in the other deck.

But here I am not sure , if this will be a success as there as there are more than 700 audience and there is no LCD screen or projector screen and camera to show the selections and all. Any views ?

Thanks
Aravind - Myztiq

Dec 22, 2019
What is the audience like and what do you already know that'd be relatable to the audience?

That would be a good place to start imo.

Thank you for your response ...
Yes you are correct. Here in this even the audience will be mix of people from India and US.
In india I used to perform the below acts too , but I never performed those in US

- All dove acts - Body load with loops, Dove Pan, Instant Dove appear from Balloon pan , Dove from dove picture frame, Dove appearing Box , Dove vanish in News paper - wooden Box. From all these props I used to produce 5 doves and finally in the end of show I would Vanish all these doves using Vanishing Dove Cage. - But I never brought these items to US as I thought getting doves is bit difficult here and costly.

- Floating table- This is very cheap in India - INR 3000 which is equivalent to nearly $42 !. Here the price is more than $600

- Music and Magic Book - Producing a Guitar from Book

- Sword through Neck

- Ultimate sketch Pad.

I am confident to show all the above items , but I need to but it again here in US. Not feeling to invest on the items that I already had too. Should I go for those if any one of you feel it worths here in this scenario or should I go with the items that I already have ?

If anyone can suggest any good stage magic items which will be a good to have in my list , I will have a try.

Thanks
Aravind V.K - Myztiq

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
See, as per my experience mentalism is acceptable tl ANY audience typically, either as genuine mind-reading stuff, or pseudo-science. But if you don't wanna do it...I guess...

I think you should leave out doves...a certain Western YT-Magician sorta...defamed that branch quite a bit...more so if you're an Indian (Are you? :) )

The floating table'd be good I think. And if the rest of the stuff you know is closeup, just get a deck or a few coins and a good laptop and camera, you're good to go. Especially since all the above items can be borrowed from the audience and the event-organisers for the last two.

Good luck!

Dec 22, 2019
See, as per my experience mentalism is acceptable tl ANY audience typically, either as genuine mind-reading stuff, or pseudo-science. But if you don't wanna do it...I guess...

I think you should leave out doves...a certain Western YT-Magician sorta...defamed that branch quite a bit...more so if you're an Indian (Are you? :) )

The floating table'd be good I think. And if the rest of the stuff you know is closeup, just get a deck or a few coins and a good laptop and camera, you're good to go. Especially since all the above items can be borrowed from the audience and the event-organisers for the last two.

Good luck!
Yes..I am Indian :) All other magics that I was mentioning were stage magics only. I prepared draft list for peak time and not peak time something like below :

Peak Time Magics:

Thumb Tip
Fire Wallet
Aqua Change Vase
Mouth Coil
Appearing Cane
Slush Powder
Dove Pan
Production Box
Marked Card
Inject google peek
Flag Staff
Throw Coil
Salman & Aiswarya actress fun
Instant appearing tie

Non Peak Time Magics:

Egg Lucky Draw
Diamond Pip Card
Swengalli
Insurance policy
Coin thru bottle
Blooming Blossom
Baloon Silk Frame
Wonder Glass
Sudden Deck
Sponge Ball
Gift Box from Paper Bag
Comedy Funnel
Split Silk
Change Bag
I Can I Cant
Bag to Indian Flag
Umbrella Production
Magic Necklace
Linking Rope
Egg Bag
Breakaway Wand
Polka Dot Silk

Thanks
Aravind - Myztiq

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
(Yay, I'm Indian too XD XD)

Um...I don't get really what you mean by peak-time, lel.

But looking at your list, really, everything except the doves sounds good.

Although ofc the appearing cane for example, is a very VERY short effect...so...just group 3-ish of them and you'll probably be good to go man!

Dec 22, 2019
(Yay, I'm Indian too XD XD)

Um...I don't get really what you mean by peak-time, lel.

But looking at your list, really, everything except the doves sounds good.

Although ofc the appearing cane for example, is a very VERY short effect...so...just group 3-ish of them and you'll probably be good to go man!

Happy to see you ...Yes...I am working on a good script to club some of the items to entertain the audience. I have read many other threads in theroy11 which really gave me confidence. I think I have more then required items with me. As here also as mentioned above , we should not try to add more items. For 10 to 20 minutes I think 8 effects are enough with different style of presentation rather than finding any new routines. But I thought if am getting any good suggestion or any good effects I would invest in that.

Thank you All
Magically,
Myztiq

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results