Inspirations for Card Magic

Sep 9, 2008
Philippines
Ello,

I've been into card magic for about 6 months now. I'm kinda experience in performing stuff to crowds so, I guess I'm fine. My problem is creating my own tricks because I depend a lot on tricks from DVD's. Can you tell me where do you get inspirations on making your own tricks or getting the sleights to perform the effect?
Thanks.

-Niko

Oct 9, 2008
Gardena,CA
yo usually wat you should do is take an effect and make it on your own put a couple of good twists on it iv been in it for 2 years and my first years or so i didnt have any dvds i just watched and tried to learn from that just when you see or learn a new effect switch it up make it different i hate to see people who learn tricks and do it exactly like dan and dave buck they do it exactly the way the learned it ............perfect example one of my friends was doing the jones change and somebody said aww i seen my little cousin do that exact same thing so yea man imma bout to get off topic lol but yea just change it up every now and then peace

~Ramo D.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
As far as sleights go - you just need to do more research, see more, read more, try more to find sleights you want to use. Inspiration can come from all sorts of things around you. Specifically to card plots, you might love a particular plot (Homing Card, Inversion, Sandwich) and might get the inspiration to make one of your own from there.

Sep 2, 2007
London
Definitely start by making sure you've got a good grounding in Royal Road, Expert Card Technique and Expert at the Card Table. You can create a lifetime of material just from the sleights taught in ther. However, some useful sources for further building up your armoury are Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights series, and Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control series.

I think that if you familiarise yourself with a lot of sleights, mathematical principles and subtleties (even if you only choose a few to hone and perfect), it opens you up to the possibilities of a deck of cards. Then it's a question of imagining an effect. What would be good? What would impress you if you saw it? Maybe you won't be able to acheive the exact effect that you imagine, but in the process of working towards it, you will stumble across new things that you weren't even looking for.

Sep 8, 2008
Definitely start by making sure you've got a good grounding in Royal Road, Expert Card Technique and Expert at the Card Table. You can create a lifetime of material just from the sleights taught in ther. However, some useful sources for further building up your armoury are Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights series, and Allan Ackerman's Advanced Card Control series.

I think that if you familiarise yourself with a lot of sleights, mathematical principles and subtleties (even if you only choose a few to hone and perfect), it opens you up to the possibilities of a deck of cards. Then it's a question of imagining an effect. What would be good? What would impress you if you saw it? Maybe you won't be able to acheive the exact effect that you imagine, but in the process of working towards it, you will stumble across new things that you weren't even looking for.

... You beat me too it not only with the same advice but the same suggestions too. All great especially in my opinion Daryls Encyclopedia Series... Also consider that the old classic Royal Road to Card Magic which was once upon a time only avalible in printed format is now on DVD which is apparently great.

But, put short and simply Learn sleight and moves, build your foundations on which your creativity will grow.
You can't expect yourself to make tricks yet, you won't know enough sleights and stuff to do so.
Then theres three roads you could go down, neithers wrong or right, find a style of magician you like, study and use there tricks as inspration making new ones. Alternatively avoid watching others to make your stuff outside the box and fresh. The third... Find a style, study it learn it, be inspired then break that style/mold and create something new!

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Just to reiterate all the points made.

Books=Gold. A lot of people will never realize this, and that's better for those of us who love books.

I'll also give you an example that I heard from a podcast I've been listening too (going through 97 archived podcasts...so time consuming, so worth it).
[Go Magic Go, for those who are interested]

And one of the hosts is a mentalist. He said there are two ways to approach magic, one was the route he took. When he saw metal bending he wanted to do it. So he went out and bought books and tapes on metal bending-learned and perfected the material-and is a successful magician/mentalist.

On the other hand, Banachek (if you don't know who he is, right now is a good time to Google him...) saw metal bending and he went home, took some spoons or forks and worked on ways to achieve the same effects he'd seen. He re-created a lot of material, but also found some new things out when he was doing this.

It's this process that has led Banachek into a career developing new ideas and concepts. He'd been doing it from the start and that helped him tremendously, later on when he had an final effect he wanted to accomplish, he could then work backwards easier since he had trained himself to do so.

Another thing, from a different episode, that was mentioned and stuck out to me was something to the effect of:
"Think about what real magic would look like. If a spectator could really select a free card, if it was really mixed into the deck and then you do whatever it is the effect calls for...what would that look like? Your job as a magician is to try and make a handling that mimics that, as close as possible."

The issue was which was more fair and natural in terms of card forces.

In a world where we did real magic...a spectator would bring a deck, already have a card in mind and have shuffled long before you ever touch the deck-never reveal their card...and you could do magic with it.
Good luck with that one.

-Rik

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results