Interesting Use Of Cards

nayost

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
i got this link in one of my e-news letters from louis vuitton. check out the layout they're using to market valentine's day products!

LV Valentine

oh, and if you like the cards on the site, they're actually for sale for those of you who might be interested... i'm probably not getting any because it's just a little out of my budget...

LV Cards

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Oh damnnn these are cool. I might actually hop down to LV and have a look myself. I remember one of these high-end companies did something like this earlier. Incidentally, if anyone is interested to look at them (because of the way the site is set up you can't actually link straight to it) go to e-shopping, go to men, belts ties and accessories, then go to other accessories, and it's the 6th one down.

Nonetheless I'll go have a look... I love the idea though. It looks so elegant. Awesome finding this thanks man.

Last edited by a moderator:

nayost

Elite Member
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
have you had any experiences with cards from brand name companies? i wonder how they compare to regular bikes in terms of handling. though it would be a pretty cool addition for card collectors.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Well I popped down to my Louis Vuitton store today to have a look, a few hours after I posted my last post.

They come in a pack of three, individually and beautifully boxed within similarly absolutely gorgeous packaging, a bigger collective box. I had a quick look at the cards (but they were sealed in plastic so I couldn't handle them). They're bridge sized cards, plastic, with golden gilded corners. The faces look stunning, I really liked the faces. Nice, simple and elegant with the brown as a continuing theme for the faces. I was a little disappointed with the backs though. Compared to the faces and the packaging, they're not incredibly elegant or impressive in my opinion. The backs come in three colours, one for each deck, red, blue and yellow, and from memory they go all the way to the edge of the card (but I may be wrong on this last point).

I don't know about feel but I'd speculate that while they would be a lot better than the usual brand of plastic cards made in china, they still wouldn't have anything on Bikes or anything - they'd be hard to flourish with, though not impossible to perform magic with, if you were so inclined, at least while they were new. Nonetheless they're probably best as a card collector's deck, and best used for games like poker.

So yeah. If the backs were a little simpler and more elegant, I'd consider getting a box, but as it is, I probably won't. It'd be a nice little piece for collectors though, definitely. As far as quality goes, I can only speculate - while they're not made for magicians, they'll still be above average quality for plastic playing cards, though being bridge sized is definitely a hindrance.

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
I doubt that. That kind of thing is targeted at the posher audience.

The ones who garrgle money in the mornings.

Gustav

:rolleyes:

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Yeah, these cards aren't designed for magicians - they're classy.
These cards are for people who eat gold and live in houses made of jewels.

(People do that. Honest.)

-Sam H

Jan 13, 2008
Yeah, these cards aren't designed for magicians - they're classy.
These cards are for people who eat gold and live in houses made of jewels.

(People do that. Honest.)

-Sam H
It's funny you mention that, because there is a certain wine/champagne that has tiny gold flakes in it. For real.

As for the cards, I can't see myself getting them, despite being a collector. I collect cards of personal interest, not necessarily value, and I definitely don't have an interest in those, heh. Oh well, I'm sure there will be some people who like them. :)

Apr 27, 2008
Norway
As well as that, there is that hotel in Dubai where they serve you a tiny gold plated leaf as a part of your entry course, for dinner.

Sheesh.

:eek:

Gustav

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Yeah, I love it. Sigh.

This is the issue. I love all these haute-couture brands. But NOT for the branding. In my experience, the guys at Armani and Boss for clothing, Bang & Olufsen for accessories/homeware, Georg Jensen for jewellery, etc., are simply the most elegant products you can find anywhere. Unfortunately for me, I prize elegance very highly. If I ever made a good salary in my future profession, I would definitely buy all these things - but not to look posh, not because they have GUCCI in huge m'f'ing letters on the front, but because I love having these things around, it makes me feel good because I enjoy the style that they bring. I'm a typical Cancerian, in that the way my home looks is very important to me, not out of any desire to show off to anyone else, but simply because I like living amongst that sort of thing myself. Not for poshness' sake, or out of selfishness, or a desire to be better than anyone else, or to brag or boast of expensiveness or taste, but just because I bloody love that sort of thing. Which is a pity, because I definitely cannot afford to buy a single thing from there :p

What does any of that have anything to do with magic? I have no idea. Probably none. Just felt like saying that. Now you know a bit more about me.

But yes - they're not made for magicians. Although as I said, the backs could definitely be a bit more elegant like the faces. But if you're the type of person to have a couple of friends over in your penthouse apartment, and play cards with a glass of Baileys in hand, and the band Air playing softly in the background, while the sun is setting and the city lights beneath slowly start to turn on, you'd be perfectly at home playing with these cards.

See that for me, would be a dream.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results