Introducing Yourself as a Magician

Sep 14, 2007
Hey everyone,

I've heard/read about a lot of people who say that when they perform, they walk up to their soon-to-be spectators and say something along the lines of:

"Hey guys, do you have a minute? I have a magic trick to show you."

Or if they work at a more formal place...:

"Hi everyone, I'm the magician here at ______ and I was hoping you would like to see some magic?"

But I was thinking about a new take on introducing yourself as a magician. I haven't yet had the chance to try it out but I was hoping I could get opinions on it. My idea is to keep it secret that you are a magician. So, for example... you are on the street, in a mall, wherever you perform, and you see a group of people that seem like they would make good spectators. You walk up to them:

"Excuse me? Hi, do you guys have a minute or two? I'd like to show you something."

At this point, if my predictions are correct, they will be more willing to have you show them this "something", because they don't know what it is. So the increased curiosity will grab their attention. Then you pull out a deck of cards, or whatever you do your magic with, and they will most likely be even more into it, because they weren't expecting something like a magic trick. Basically, I am thinking that this may be a good way to get your spectators more "into" your performance. And... it would probably also result in more fun performing. :)

Any comments are appreciated, modify or criticize as you wish.
Thanks,
Shane.

Dec 14, 2007
If a stranger came up to me and asked to show me "something" I would probably decline. Now, if they had a camera crew with them, then I might play along because I know this is TV and could be interesting. Without the camera crew, they could be trying to sell me something, they could want to talk with me about their religious beliefs, they could be a psychotic.

Your attitude and the way you present yourself says as much as your words. If you are articulate, and say, "Hi, I'm XXXX. I'm a magician and I would like to show you something amazing, do you have a moment?" you will go a lot further than trying to "trick" them into watching you.

BTW, don't say that you were "hoping" they would like to see some magic. It makes you sound desperate. Read what Tommy Wonder wrote on approaching tables, and remember what Eugene Burger counseled: (I paraphrase) If you don't treat your magic with respect, you can't expect your audiences to.

Sep 14, 2007
Yeah I was thinking about that afterwards, how just saying "something" may be a little weird, but if you were dressed accordingly and respectably and made everything seem alright. I think you could pass with it. Maybe. :S

I can't take credit for this approach, but I loved the idea since I read it.

Excuse me, may I borrow a quarter I promise I will pay you back. show them a quarter trick. then move on into your set.

I like the idea because if you need a newspaper for your favorite effect you can place it on a table and wait for someone to sit there, then go up and say may I see this for a second? So even if you need a gimmick that is inexpensive, you can place it down on a table and wait.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I have a story regarding showing someone, "something."

I was out doing so magic for some people in my neighbourhood, and I saw this girl who I thought looked like a good spectator. So I approached her and asked "Can I show you something?" and she replied, "Sorry, I already have a boyfriend."

:p

Nov 1, 2007
I try and have a conversation with any spectators I manage to find. The idea of just doing a handful of tricks and then leaving seems sort of wasteful to me. You can meet all kinds of new people this way, it's a shame to let it go to waste.

Instead, I find the approach of meeting and talking to the spectator more fun. Striking up a conversation with someone you don't know, getting familiar with them, and performing every so often during the conversation. That way, you can pick tricks based off what they seem interested in, and improvise accordingly.

I think Mr. Henderson hit it right on the nose. You have to look and act presentable when trying to find spectators. You don't want to come off acting invasive and annoying. You simply want to be respectful of people's space and time. Presenting yourself as a magician rather than a "mysterious stranger" will get you further in your goal.

Mitchell

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
I think that you might want to refuse the title magician, here is a good argument why.

So in my opinion you could go with the something line, but clearly have a deck of cards in your hands or rework it to imply that you are going to do magic, for example "Excuse me? Hi, do you guys have a minute or two? I'd like to show you something with these cards here."
But that's just my opinion.

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Its all about presentation. I suggest reading some threads over at the ellusionist forums under VIP presentation. they will really help your presentation, whether street or stage.

kevin

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Personally, I hate saying "I'm a magician and I want to show you a trick" because that's not how I really like to present my magic. I like to leave it open for interpratation.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results