Invented Tricks

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
This is probably way to early, but ill bring it up anyways.
I have come up with 3 tricks that have been tested with live people numerous times, and to my knowledge, have been created by me (to some extent, obviously i can be wrong).

What im trying to get at is, will there be a place sometime in the future here, to subit tricks and have you guys look and review them, see if its worth going further in.
If so, i highly suggest responding to most videos that you are sent, even if its something thats amazingly common, and not origional. Let the people know that you watched it, and were interested to some extent, do not leave them in the dark. At the very least, if it isnt a common tricks, but has been created by someone else, please let them know...unlike some "unknown" site
:p

Sep 1, 2007
Here's a thought...how about keeping your inventions to yourself for a while? After all, your inventions are part of what make you unique as a performer. I am proud of some of my orginal effects but the only reason for releasing them at this stage would be to gain recognition from the rest of the "magical community". The expense is that now everyone knows how to do your tricks!

I suggest that you keep on performing your original effects, have fun with them, tweak them and let them evolve through hundreds of performances, and never stop thinking.

Sep 1, 2007
Wisconsin
I agree. Never Invent tricks just to make money. The tricks you see for sale on this site have been kept secret for years. Perform them yourself. Do stuff that nobody else does and that allows people to remember you and build your reputation.

I have created numerous effects and have had many for years. When I invent a new trick I practice go out perform redefine it make it better before I even consider doing anything with it.

Show it to trustworthy magicians and let them give opinions.

Take your time if your young. No need to rush.

I'm 17 and am releasing a couple effects, but have had the ideas for at least 4 or 5 years. and I am still creating more. I create to make a name for myself not to sell. I want people on the streets to say I've never seen anything like it was absolutely crazy, rather than Oh yea I saw David Blaine do that.

This is just my opinion. I'm not saying that you shouldn't share your great effect with the community, I'm just saying that it might be worth it to keep it to your self for a while.

Wayne Houchin thought of Stigmata when he was in High School and didn't release it until last year. Stigmata dates back even earlier and didn't get popular until now.

Just my two cents.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
One of ym major gripes in magic is the capitilist nature of our art. Especially, when that effect is character driven. Paul Rhomany is a good example. He is selling many of the effects he has been doing in his show for many years. Problem is there are very much related to his on-stage persona.

When you sell a piece for yourself two things happen. They usually do it wrong AND they might do it first.

You don't have to be the best, just the first. If you sell your effect and someone else does it, then sees you do it YOU look like the copycat even if you are the originator.

There was a time when people shared their magic secrets with those who they felt deserved it. Now your worth to recieve knowledge is determined by your bank account. Mind you if you have been performing something for SO long and plan to never do it again or much anymore, it's ok to share you knowledge with the community BUT that is rare in todays world. Looks good on camera it MUST look good everywhere else.

(Holy crap am I ranting or what?)

Just keep it to yourself, test it and make it the best it can be. Look at the effects that are being sold on here. Pieces the performers have been doing for some time (According to them). They are working pros and don't necassarily need the cash, but want to share the effect with you (And make a buck of course they're not stupid.)

Did anyone read all of this? If so you are a brave brave soul.

short and sweet, don't create the tricks just to seel them and get money, create them to enjoy them, to perform them and to do something unique and finally when you do wish to part with your creation to some extent, then only give it out to be released to the public...

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Well heres a few things. For one, i practised these effects for years now on people in the public, they are very hard hitting effects. And frankly, why not make money if you can? Im not to worried about my tricks getting known, as the odds of the general public knowing how the trick is done is slim, as the general public wouldnt purchase any magic dvd's normmaly. If you have a great idea, be it magic, or a new type of shirt, go with it. I have been thinking of new ways in all types of areas to make money, consider me a entrenpeur if you will... I still enjoy doing these effects and others, but as i said, why not make extra coin on the side?

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
And frankly, why not make money if you can?

Mostly True.

Im not to worried about my tricks getting known, as the odds of the general public knowing how the trick is done is slim, as the general public wouldnt purchase any magic dvd's normmaly.

True but it's not the general public. It's the couple hundred magicians doing it or worse. Doing it poorly.

If you have a great idea, be it magic, or a new type of shirt, go with it. I have been thinking of new ways in all types of areas to make money, consider me a entrenpeur if you will...

No offense but spell check next time. Can't be something you can't spell.

I still enjoy doing these effects and others, but as i said, why not make extra coin on the side?

Agreed. The question is tho' are you in this for you.. or for the art?

(Note: Not trying to be an asshat, just making a point. I won't comment further I promise)

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
lol?

i couldnt give 2 s***s if i spell something incorrectly on a online forum.

i got into magic for me, because i saw how great it was social wise, and it opens new doors, if i did things for "the art" i would be painting daily...

i wouldnt do things i do not enjoy

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I heard there was going to be a "Submit a trick" feature, where you could submit a trick and they would rate it or whatnot?
Any truth to this rumor?

Well if there is i am pretty stoked. I have one that has taken me 2 years to make and 1 year to finalize the bugs and everything out. and it is my baby, and my Love.

=P

~Jordan

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Well if there is i am pretty stoked. I have one that has taken me 2 years to make and 1 year to finalize the bugs and everything out. and it is my baby, and my Love.

=P

~Jordan

Is it called "The Transported Man" by any chance?

I also have some tricks that I could submit.

P.S. If you don't know what "The Transported Man" is, go see The Prestige.

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Is it called "The Transported Man" by any chance?

I also have some tricks that I could submit.

P.S. If you don't know what "The Transported Man" is, go see The Prestige.

Pssht your mom is the transported man.

Hee hee

The prestige, Shade, The illusionist, Smokin'aces All great movies about magicians.
I feel like i am missing one though.

~Jordan

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
who are they, I've seen them once on TV....

Smokin aces was a good movie, I liked it and the trailer was even better :)

*Slaps avancer*
How dare you not know who penn&teller are.
:p

Thats ok. go to the store and rent some of there movies. If you have HBO i reccommend you watch penn&teller: Bullshit.

Also et some books like cruel tricks for dear friends.

~Jordan

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results