Invoicing and payment for professional magicians?

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
I feel like my system in which I take deposit's, payment and send invoices can be streamlined so I'm wondering what peoples process is.

What do you do once a quote is provided and agreed?
Do you favour digital or hard copy invoices?
Do you invoice before or after payment?
Do you take a deposit?
Do you use a single invoice for both payments (deposit & final payment)?

Any info on what other working magicians are doing would be great. Obviously I'm ignoring any work from entertainment agencies as they handle all of these things.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008

Give the client a copy of the agreed-upon contract and take the down payment. The contract has all of the expected payment information in it, as in what the deposit will be, how much the total payment will be, etc.

Client's option, though I always keep a physical copy as well.

I would consider my contract to also be the invoice, so before. I expect payment at the conclusion of the performance unless otherwise arranged.

Do you take a deposit?

Yes. 25-50% depending on the show.

Invoice/contract for initial payments, and if the client wants it, a receipt of final payment showing there's no debt.

Hope that helps.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Upon getting all of the details over the phone with the client and agreeing on the set price I then do the following:

1.) Type up a contract / entertainment agreement and print 2 hard copies and sign them both. They get mailed out the very next day.
2.) Both go into an envelope addressed to the client and also inside the envelope is a self addressed envelope back to me with the stamp already on it as well.
3.) When the client receives the contract, he or she reads over it, agrees that everything looks corrects, signs it and sends it back to me a minimum of 7 days prior to the show. They keep one copy for themselves.
4.) If it is a large paying gig, I do require a deposit; however if it is just a small birthday party show...I normally don't force them to do a deposit.
5.) If the client is someone I know personally or the show is less than a few days away due to them booking me last minute... I email them the contract as a PDF file and have them agree by replying back to my email that everything looks correct and then I print that response in hard copy for my records should I need it later.

That is basically my process in a nutshell and thus far I've had no problems. It is good to keep records because of repeat bookings for the same client. You may need to look back 5 years in the past and see what "show" you already did at their company picnic and how much you charged back then. It makes it easier to throw a newer rate to them and them accept it knowing that you have record of what they paid last time.

Also...don't forget to send them a Thank You card in the mail about 3-5 days later for booking you. This makes it easy to request a testimonial and or digital pictures that the client may have taken of you that you can put on your website :)

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Thanks you two. Keeping a hard copy for yourself goes without saying. I don't know about other countries but it's required for tax returns in the UK.
Do you type up a contract for each gig Rick? I have one for all clients, I can't imagine writing one up or adapting it for every booking. At what point do you take payment? On arrival? After performing? Before the event?

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Also, if you have a copy machine/scanner built into your printer you can scan the signed contract when it get's back to you and keep the signed "copy" on you at the gig and leave the real one at home. This is just to keep the client from changing their mind about paying you when the gig happens.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
9 times out of 10 my clients pay me on arrival unless I've been booked through an agent and then my agent will send me payment a few days after my show.

As far as my contract goes...it is the same contract for everyone. It is just a template that I go back into for each gig and fill in the blanks basically. It is really easy.

Hey Formula I don't know how much help I can be to you on this subject, but I figured I'd at least answer your questions below.

1) When I give a quote, and it's agreed upon I usually send the client a follow up email detailing all the information we discussed during the call. This usually includes performance times, locations, arrival time, set up time, payment quote, methods of payment acceptable, cancellation fee, name of key contact, their contact information, my contact information, and the name of any special person of interest. (Birthday person, VIP, etc). Plus any additional notes that may have been discussed during the call that would be important to note here.

2) I prefer digital copies of invoices, and physical copies of contracts. Many times I've emailed a pdf contract to a client, they've printed it, and I've picked up my copy when I arrive on site. I should point out though that I only really do contracts for corporate clients, trade shows, or high paying gigs.

3) If I send an invoice then I send it before the payment.

4) I know some people like to take deposits, and others don't. My approach is to take deposits only on large paying contracts or contracts that require extensive travel.

5) So far I have only used a single invoice for both deposits and final payments, but then again I haven't really had to work too many high paying gigs that I've been the one setting things up myself. So far one invoice has worked well for me.

Hope that helps man!

I feel like my system in which I take deposit's, payment and send invoices can be streamlined so I'm wondering what peoples process is.

Do you take a deposit?

Any info on what other working magicians are doing would be great. Obviously I'm ignoring any work from entertainment agencies as they handle all of these things.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
You've been given the general overview as to how things are done but I wanted to hit on a few things because of how important they are.

1. CONTRACTS -- Always Have One Not Matter Who You Work For! I've had clients that I've worked for, for years and the one time I let things ride on a handshake and not paper, I get screwed. . . the client had the audacity to laugh at me as she said (to my face) "you should have had a contract".

2. DOWN PAYMENT -- ALWAYS HAVE ONE -- I suggest that you go with a 30% NON-REFUNDABLE deposit as a minimum and with newer clients, especially commercial, a 50% deposit is wise. The reason is simple; with such a large deposit at stake chances are quite strong they will not change dates on you unless absolutely necessary (which is a flexible thing) and this includes, canceling on you. To that latter point, it prevents them from discovering someone that offers a comparable service at a much lower price and bumping you out of the deal so they can contract the less experienced schmuck.

3.) Final Payment -- Always to Be Paid Prior to the Show -- the reason is very simple; many club owners (particularly) will have you come in, do the night and then forget to pay you after the fact. This is a classic course of action no matter the kind of act you may do, musicians are constantly screwed when it comes to this sort of thing. Same goes with Birthday Party gigs however. The only exception I have when it comes to this rule is when I'm working with a major corporation, such as when I worked with Ford Motors; I allowed them to do the standard 30-day net styled payment. This is something that I've only had problems with once, when I worked for a major company out of Paris. It took me six months to cash their check. From that point out I insisted on an American Bank drawn check for the agreed upon sum whenever I worked with any company not based in the U.S.

4.) Invoice/Copy -- ALWAYS KEEP A HARD COPY -- Computers crash, digital formats for saving data change. I have tons of material I can no longer retrieve for years back, because it is on a floppy disc of one form or another. Having that digital copy is awesome and convenient, but as I've said, things become obsolete and being able to pull up files from a decade or two back, a hassle. . . unless you fork out the bucks to have that data transferred to the new version of the same old thing . . . which you'll have to do again the next times Microsoft decides to change their shorts on a whim. And let's not discuss Cloud technology; I simply don't trust it and seriously suspect that "they" will eventually put thumb screws on us when it comes to having access to our own data. There's just too many variables in that scenario to make me comfy. That leaves us with keeping hard copy on everything. When files get too big or dated, you box them and put them in storage or even transfer them to Microfilm, an easily scanned and retrieval system that is still in use by major corporations and governments. It's easily stored in relatively small space and remains a legal accounting source of "proof" . . . but I honestly doubt anyone here will ever need to consider such an alternative, not even Copperfield needs to take things that far.

File Cabinets & Hard Copy may seem old fashioned, but they tend to have much longer life expectancy over technology.

4.) Insurance & Riders -- While you should have your own insurance on prop replacement and liability your contract, especially when it comes to working large events in which you equipment will sit over night, possibly over several nights, you should require the client to cover your costs as well. This includes added insurance requisites when you employ livestock, in particular large exotics like Tigers & Elephants but similarly, large farm animals. There is always an insurance requisite when it comes to such things in that bunnies bite and scratch as to parrots. . . you must cover bases.

Riders can cover a great number of things but the key issue you need to address is privacy when it comes to dressing areas, and small prop security. This can be everything form a bedroom in someone's home to a private restroom space on the low end to formal dressing rooms and "green" areas. Riders can cover many other things but this is something that really needs to be weighed.

6.) Thank You Cards -- The Forgotten Must Do -- Always, no matter what kind of gig it was, always send a thank you card to the booker if one is involved, as well as the client. If you're working a hotel or banquet hall you've never worked in the past, send them a note of thanks as well, praising the help staff, food quality, etc. and how they helped make for a pleasurable and fun event.

This may sound peculiar and even a "waste" of time & money, but expressing good thoughts and appreciation is the quickest way to generate business as well as a reputation for being "one of the good guys". So always send out appreciation cards within 72 hours of the gig and don't be chency; send nice cards that reflect a sense of quality. They are after all, a reflection on you and the kind of person you see yourself as being. . . which brings us to another important issue. . .

Your Letter-Head & Envelopes, everything you use in your press materials and correspondence, should NOT be "stock". Have everything you print and send to a client, on quality paper. You may want to have pre-printed stationary with raised ink, embossing, etc. your printer can be set so as to allow proper room for this addition. Again, it might seem like a lot of work and such a "little thing" but it's just such little things people will remember most . . . especially the people that make the big decisions when it comes to hiring the right act for certain events.

Invoices can be Black & White, but you still want to use decent quality paper to print to so that it shows how much you care about the little things.

These are standards that a handful of older magic texts explain when it comes to the business side of things. We don't hear too much about it now days but those that are familiar with it can testify as to its strength.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Craig has offered a ton of solid advice here fellas....soak it in or print it out because those of you rookies chomping at the bit to start getting gigs need this imperative information. I wish I had this info at my finger tips 5 years ago.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
Appreciate all the input, particularly you Craig. I came back to ask another question but it's been answered. I guess this thread got buried before I had a chance to read it again.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results