Is a marked deck worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2018
Denmark
Marked decks are quite a bit more expensive than regular decks, so I want to know if it is worth it.

Are there any tricks that you can do with a marked deck, which you can't do with forcing, peeking, control or a stacked deck?

Because I really can't think of anything. Does anyone care to enlighten me?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Penguin has a marked Maiden back (I think) deck for $10.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8474
From what I've seen the markings are quite easy to read and are disguised well. The back is not a normal Rider back but no one will notice. It's very similar.

The ellusionist 1800 deck has easy to read marks hidden into their aging.
https://www.ellusionist.com/marked-vintage-1800-playing-cards-red.html

And there is a lot you can do with a marked deck. There are a few tricks I know that actually require a marked deck. One I do somewhat often is one where the spectator is able to read my mind and I read theirs.

With a marked deck, you can do some tricks you'd do with a stack but without having to reorganize the deck all the time. A lot of forces feel kinda fishy so with a marked deck, you can have the spectator pull out the card in any way they want. There are a lot of possibilities.

You could also make your own. There's this classic "clock" marking system a lot of people use. You can find it and others on youtube.

It's important not to treat the cards like a marked deck though. So try not to spend a lot of time looking at the backs unless it's justified. That's why I prefer reader backs (the actual value is hidden on the card) as opposed to actual "markings" which involve a coding system that only you know.

Reactions: what8006

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
The penguin marked decks are super easy to read! The question is what do you plan to do with the marked deck? It is worth it if you want to perform some impossible miraclesthat only a marked deck could provide. It is like asking if learning a stacknis worth it. It is a tool. But if you have no plans to use it then it may not be worth it. Like Antonio said above, they are only about $10 so if you plan to get some work out of it, then yes it is absolutely worth it!

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Aug 17, 2017
Vanishing Inc Magic has the new edition Dapper Decks, printed by the USPCC and SUPER cheap. They cost like 8$ a deck, and is marked with a reader system. The back designs are beautiful and the feel is awesome. Definitely a worthy investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results