Is Decibel (by Adam Wilber) worth it?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
The trick looks amazing, and sounds amazing on paper (or looks again?). But it is $140 (on E). Before I even think about buying it, I need to know if it is good enough.

Reactions: 010rusty

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Extremely underrated. Decibel has a ton of potential that very few people have effectively tapped.

I think the best thing I can say about it, is that I intend to purchase two more so that I have backups.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What will ultimately make this worth it, is whether you are willing to make it worth it.

If you can think of a powerful way to use the ability to push any audio you want, Decibel this will serve you well.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Feb 1, 2017
You won't be able to perform the trailer stuff out the box. You'll need 'other' things. It has some limitations that the trailer doesn't show. Is it worth $140? It can be, but iirc you're a high school student? I would have to say it is not worth it. At least if I was in high school I wouldn't want it. There is a lot of powerful magic out there for free or way cheaper. Summers coming, bro. Save that $140 to enjoy with your friends, or take that pretty girl from class out on a sweet date.

Feb 1, 2017
Or use that $140 purchase to score a $600 gig.

If you think you can land a gig to make back your money, @Maaz Hasan, go for it. Very worth, much good. If you're a beginner at doing shows, or even if you've done a few, $600 sounds a little generous. I just know my friend who has been doing this for 10 years charges around $500-600/hr when he gets booked for gigs. But I don't think breaking even is out of the realm of possibility. Just note that you will have to get a bit creative when you receive the product. That's all I can suggest, without saying too much. Good luck!

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It could be the market, but I'm betting your friend is under charging. Which is common among magicians (And performers/artists in general - it's hard to know what to charge for something that's fun to do).

Decibel is a utility gimmick. The routine that's done in the trailer is good, but it's not the best use of this device. I've come up with three separate routines that don't use assistants or anything extra (beyond Decibel, headphones, and a bluetooth capable device) and all of them are stronger than playing a thought of song.

If the price tag is daunting, and/or you can't think of any other way to use it, then skip it. But if you are creative and willing to try to think outside the box, go for it.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
If the price tag is daunting, and/or you can't think of any other way to use it, then skip it. But if you are creative and willing to try to think outside the box, go for it.

When buying something that is expensive (for me, expensive is over $50), the test is "am I going to use this?" If the answer is yes, then the next question is "how am I going to use this?" If I come up with a presentation that I like, then it is worth spending the money. If I really can't answer that question, I don't buy something just because it looks really cool. Every effect has its limitations and you have to be willing to overcome those.

As for the effect, I don't have it, but you can get a sense of its pros and cons by wading through this thread on the Magic Cafe :
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=619728&start=0. Unfortunately, it is full of the typical Magic Cafe drama, but reading through it can give you a sense of what you are buying and ideas how to use it.

Reactions: ParkinT

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Answer is no. Radio by Ran Pink is superior in every way.

Hey Grant,

Can you provide some helpful reasons as to why you believe this? You seem quite sure of your opinion, but provide no reasons for it.

The OP asked if Decibel was worth the cost. A different trick being "superior in every way" without any specific reasons doesn't help. What makes your recommendation superior?

// L

ProAma

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Sorry for being cemented in opinion without giving an explanation Lyle :) Decibel is a bad product. It requires someone else being with you. It is also overpriced for the gimmick you get. It was an over marketed product just like most of E's stuff. I am not saying all the over marketed products re bad ones but Decibel is. If you want a good mentalism effect where you can think of a song your spectator FREELY selects you should look at Radio by Ran Pink. You do not need assistance to divine the song and it requires no gimmicks and very little skill/set up.

Didn't Titanus put out something similar thru Murphy's a year or two ago? Slightly different application, being that his version would play thru the radio but same general idea: Think of a song. Name it, and it plays in an impossible way.

So I can tell you right now without even owning this product: It isn't going to be what you're expecting. It's not going to be impromptu, and it's going to require someone, a secret helper, to assist you with the magic monkey business. Having said that, along with the price tag associated with this product this will NOT be for everyone.

However

IF you CAN work with it, and find a way to utilize it, then this is a reputation making miracle in your pocket. The down side is that it's very intimate. Being that it's only for one person at a time, as the headphones are kind of important to the delivery of the named music. So I'm not sure if this would work well on stage. And having a secret helper for anything street or strolling may not justify well for everyone. So ehh.... 60/40 if you ask me. I'd really have to get a unit, and review it in person to be able to levy a better opinion on it than this. However from what I've seen of other reviews, and what I can see from the trailer I'm going to stick with that for now.

Is it worth it? I guess the question to answer is: Can you make it worth it for you?

Answer that and you'll know where you stand.

Ellusionist or Adam if you guys want a fair (or at least fairer) review on this product then you know how to contact me. I'd be more than glad to give you a fair opinion.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
it's going to require someone, a secret helper, to assist you with the magic monkey business.

Nope. As I said in my post, I've come up with three separate routines that use no assistants or extras - just Decibel and a way to supply audio.

So I'm not sure if this would work well on stage.

I've only used it for stage performances, and several folks have also talked about their stage routines for the device.

Reactions: JeffMi9

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
The device doesn't fit my style. I don't do magic with headphones most of the time.

All that said, a magician won our last club competition using Decibel. We had 3 lay people judges and they loved it. He didn't use any secret assistants, it was all self contained.

I would follow David's advice here. Ask yourself how you will use it. If you know how it will fit into your current repertoire than buy it. If you don't have a use for it save your money for something you will use.

As far as a performance fee goes, Rich Ferguson says that he believes that anyone performing in the states who knows 3 card tricks should be able to charge $350 for a show. I live in a part of the country where the going rate for children's magicians is $250 per birthday party. Even if $250 was your price you'd recoup the cost fairly quickly. I charge quite a bit more for walk around. Part of the reason is that I have found a more wealthy market that is willing to pay for more.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results