Is it about money?

Sep 24, 2007
Burlington
Why did ppl like Jonathan and Wayne leave E to make their own company? They say it's important to have unity in magic, then y are they quitting a company to make their own? Is it for money?
I'm not trying 2 be rude, just curious.

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Noone ever mentioned Wayne left E for T11(or I missed something)... noone also said T11 was going against E...
I don't know, I really don't see a difference. They're both just an online magic shop with a forum...

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Why did ppl like Jonathan and Wayne leave E to make their own company? They say it's important to have unity in magic, then y are they quitting a company to make their own? Is it for money?

Actually, often when people leave one company to start their own it is far more about the freedom it allows them.

Creative freedom, and freedom to spread a message of their own rather than just being a player in another companies message.

So, no, it is not JUST about money.

Honestly, starting your own business, after leaving an already successful one is RARELY about money. New business fail all the time. Why jump ship when you're on a yacht to try to build your own cruiser from the dingy lifeboat you would start with?

Not to say T11 is a dingy, lol, but starting something from the ground up.

Sep 1, 2007
Actually, often when people leave one company to start their own it is far more about the freedom it allows them.

Creative freedom, and freedom to spread a message of their own rather than just being a player in another companies message.

Frankly, I don't see much difference between E and T11.

Aug 30, 2007
Who called us a dingy? That's hilarious. Can we use that as our new marketing slogan? "Theory 11 - The Dingy Of The Magic World."

On a slightly more serious note: Doing something meaningful in any art isn't easy and never happens over night. I would only ask to be given a chance to get our feet wet. Then, judge for yourselves whether or not we mean what we say around here.

As for looking like E, the style of E's most recent videos was something that Wayne and I developed over the past few years. E will most certainly continue to evolve their style just as we will.

Wayne is not releasing anything through E in the future (except UltraGaff which we already shot). Control and everything after that will be available here.

This site most certainly is not about the money (nor is it about bashing E). We are doing this because we really believe that we can do something good for the art. As has already been pointed out, starting a new company isn't an easy thing to do. Most new businesses fail. Every single member of our core team achieved some level of success prior to this project, which would make starting Theory 11 just for the money a very poor decision.

Still, we all care about what we are doing around here or none of us would have put in the months and months of work and sleepless nights that it took to get this project off the ground. We do sell products and I think that it is reasonable to be paid fairly for the work that we do. If we just wanted a bigger bank account, we wouldn't be spending so much time and money on things like the media section, the 1 on 1 section, the Cerca Trova forum and many, many, many other ideas that are soon to come.

In conclusion, I like our little dingy.

Dana

Not to be rude but there are like 20,000 threads on this subject answering all your questions. Geeeesh! Sorry but it's getting old guys lets talk about the butter again. lol

Aug 31, 2007
Canada
Who called us a dingy? That's hilarious. Can we use that as our new marketing slogan? "Theory 11 - The Dingy Of The Magic World."

On a slightly more serious note: Doing something meaningful in any art isn't easy and never happens over night. I would only ask to be given a chance to get our feet wet. Then, judge for yourselves whether or not we mean what we say around here.

As for looking like E, the style of E's most recent videos was something that Wayne and I developed over the past few years. E will most certainly continue to evolve their style just as we will.

Wayne is not releasing anything through E in the future (except UltraGaff which we already shot). Control and everything after that will be available here.

This site most certainly is not about the money (nor is it about bashing E). We are doing this because we really believe that we can do something good for the art. As has already been pointed out, starting a new company isn't an easy thing to do. Most new businesses fail. Every single member of our core team achieved some level of success prior to this project, which would make starting Theory 11 just for the money a very poor decision.

Still, we all care about what we are doing around here or none of us would have put in the months and months of work and sleepless nights that it took to get this project off the ground. We do sell products and I think that it is reasonable to be paid fairly for the work that we do. If we just wanted a bigger bank account, we wouldn't be spending so much time and money on things like the media section, the 1 on 1 section, the Cerca Trova forum and many, many, many other ideas that are soon to come.

Dana

Exactly what I was saying.

And of course we'll give you a chance to get your feet wet. How could you not get wet, you're in a dingy, a small, leaking dingy :D

Look what I started. Well, enjoy your dingy, I'm off to "play with my own ding a ling. Oh My ding a ling, my ding a ling, I want to play with my ding a ling . . . "

Sep 24, 2007
Burlington

Dana

Yes, but do you have to start a new company to do something good for magic? Isn't E doing a good job? Why start a new company when you original one is contributing to the art? Didnt' you guys say magic needs unity? You're just creating competion, not unity.

Aug 31, 2007
Yes, but do you have to start a new company to do something good for magic? Isn't E doing a good job? Why start a new company when you original one is contributing to the art? Didnt' you guys say magic needs unity? You're just creating competion, not unity.

Sometimes the only way that true unity can be attained is by breaking off from one group to form another. The Puritans leaving the Church of England is one example among many. You can't be unified with people that you have fundamental ideological differences with.

I sense that the members of T11 who left E felt like their "vision" of what magic should/could be was fundamentally different from E's vision. Therefore, the only way for them to be unified was by leaving E to form their own company united by a shared philosophy of what magic is, and what it can and should be.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Unity is one thing, but personally, I like having T11 along with E. Certainly Unity is an important issue, but if unity was so great, why is there a law against monopoly? I think more competition will start develope the magic towards positive direction, something that looks more impossible, looks more inconceivable, and frankly, if only one magic company was releasing lecture DVDs, I personally don't think that will happen.

Also, competition doesn't always mean un-united (not a word, I presume but you understand I also presume that), one can have competition with friends and that does not mean they are not united as friend, that just mean competition exists between friends.

This may have something to do with money, but let's be a little bit trusting here, they said they want to improve the magic as an art, and if they do so, people will stay at T11, and if it was all bogus, people will probably leave, only time will tell.

To throw my personal opinion, I think they are doing a good job so far, and hopefully this will continue.

Sep 24, 2007
Burlington
Well mesmer, if they can't be unified with E then they shouldn't talk about unity!

Jonathan said:
But our goal is that we all see the strength that comes with that unity. If we're all working together-- if we're all focused on advancing the art-- there's a lot more that can be done. As a small artform, this industry is much more powerful when united, not divided.

Not all of our artists agree on style and genres of magic. But we all do agree on one thing: we need to come together. We need to work together. We need to act as a unified industry to advance the art and improve its reputation and future. Through unity and by working together, we can challenge the ordinary and push the envelope.

See? And now they're breaking off E to make their own thing. I'm not trying to be rude here, but unity? Yeah right.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results