Is it just me or is "Ghost Bills" not very good?

Sep 1, 2007
I was looking around E earlier and saw Andrew Mayne's "Ghost Bills" trailer and was supremely underwhelmed. It just looks plain awful. Why would anyone want that trick? If somebody spent money on it, tell me:

Why did you do that?!

Sep 1, 2007
Seriously?

My problem with it is that you can barely see what's happening. It's too 2D. It just doesn't have the same effect as other penetrations.

Dex

Sep 18, 2007
North of France.
I can understand that it looks naff with dollar Bills (Almost the same color)

But here in Europe, every single bill has got an different and very vivid color, so it looks waaaaay better.

Also : Impromptu, borrowed bills, easy presentation, no heat, visual, small dangerous angles, 3 phases and to do with money (always cool if you're seeking for tips)

Sep 1, 2007
What? Am I not allowed to have an opinion? I simply don't think it's the most hard hitting trick. There are a plethora of tricks I would perform before I would perform it. Does that make me a bad person?

No, what makes me a bad person is that I measure a dog's size by how many kicks I think they could take. "That there lab looks like a three-kick dog..."

Is it just me or is "Ghost Bills" not very good?
It's just you. I think Ghost Bills is one of the best impromptu effects on the market.

And I don't mean impromptu as in a normal deck or cards, no setup, no gimmicks. I mean impromptu as in using ordinary objects that people are guaranteed to have with no setup, gimmicks or extra bills - it uses two, and only two, borrowed bills. That's what makes it so special.

NOTE: This is not an attack on your opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
UK
Hey Longman, no worries, everyone has there own opinion and I agree with you on this one.

GhostBills may be impromptu, but the visualness isn't the best. It's not a bad effect by any means, but then I don't think it's that good either.
It looks better with UK currency due to the colours etc.

There are many things i'd perform over this, infact I wouldn't perform this, but that's just my opinion and I know a lot of performers who love it.

Gambits performance of it was pretty good, better than most ive seen, but the actual effect is just not very enjoyable to see or perform.

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with you thinking it looks naff as to each there own.
Infact it's good to hear someone has a different view of effects that generally get praised as it shows it's not perfect and for everyone.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Ghost Bills is indeed a great effect. I however re-tooled it for myself with some different handling and presentation (As is required for most Mayne effects). When I was doing street theater in NOLA I made giant novelty bills with my face and info on them, would do ghost bills as a stand up effect and then hand the bills out to people to take home. For those without the graffix skillz they sell giant bills, so you could use those to make it more visible.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Personally from the video I saw of Gambit performing it, I wasn't that impressed, but I'm not going to say "I like it" or "I don't like it" until I see more performances, the demo vid, etc. etc.

Sep 1, 2007
Honestly, this is a common mistake. Alot of people underrate this effect and personally I think it's a good thing. I may be being selfish, but it is...for me and anyone else who uses it anyways. Maybe not for Mr. Mayne though...

The video really doesn't do it justice when it's seen up close. It really makes you want to rub your eyes when it's being done right in front of you.

There are alot of things that make this a great effect...First off, it's not just an effect, but a routine. Secondly, it is a great lead into alot of other penetration effects or dollar bill effects. Third, it's impromptu. And fourth it's cheap..An actual routine for under $15 is a great deal. Whether it becomes a direct part of repertoire or not, it's a nice effect to know when someone says "show me something". And if you show them this, you will have definitely showed them something.

Now the effect is simple in method, but it will take a good amount of time to get the right visual of it. Put the time into it deserves and I promise you that you will be shocked the first time you take it out of the house and into the real world. Great trick.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

Sep 3, 2007
Canada, Quebec
I never performed the effect because it doesn't look too right with a canadian bill; maybe it's just me. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
No offense to anyone who performs this, but when I saw it performed on video and in person I just wasn't impressed by it. I know it's supposed to be one bill passing through another, but when I saw it performed, it just looks like the bill is being folded over another bill and then unfolded. I don't want to say it was a bad effect because based on everyone here who came in for the defense of Ghost bills, I can see that many of you who do perform it for laymen and magicians alike get good reactions. But to me, it's just not that impressive.

Sep 1, 2007
Sean, I can see what mean, but that is why I said this is my above post. "The video doesn't do it justice". You just have to see it in person to understand how visual it is. I suggest to everyone that has never seen it in person to not pass judgment on it just yet and wait until it's done inches form your face.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Sean, I can see what mean, but that is why I said this is my above post. "The video doesn't do it justice". You just have to see it in person to understand how visual it is. I suggest to everyone that has never seen it in person to not pass judgment on it just yet and wait until it's done inches form your face.

-Dave T. Wiltrout-

He has a great point.
The trick is so stunningly Visual. unfortunatly its not the best on video like he said.

It is something that must be seen right in your face.
And hey. If you dont like it.. You know how to do it.. So if you are evr caught without cards or coins.. or whatever..
You have something to do..

Plus!!

You could build onto it using the Incredible moves andrew teaches...

Use them and try to make a sweet penetration with cards...
Perhaps paper and other items..

And hey.. If you dont like doing it with bills.. i do it with a black piece of paper and a white piece of paper.. it makes it more visual in my opinion.

Take care

~Jordan

Sean.Cinco

Elite Member
Sep 2, 2007
Orlando, FL
www.seancinco.com
Dave, I have seen it in person. Actually, it was Gambit who showed it to me. Even though it was in person, I just wasn't impressed by it. I know there's alot of tricks where video footage don't do the effect justice, and even though I saw this in person it still wasn't impressive to me. To sum it up, as the old saying goes...

"To each his own"

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
Dave, I have seen it in person. Actually, it was Gambit who showed it to me. Even though it was in person, I just wasn't impressed by it. I know there's alot of tricks where video footage don't do the effect justice, and even though I saw this in person it still wasn't impressive to me. To sum it up, as the old saying goes...

"To each his own"

I guess we all have our Own opinions on things.

And hey i totally respect that.

~Jordan

Sep 1, 2007

"To each his own"

Hmm..Well everyone has there dislikes and likes with everything I guess. Gambit's a great performer too so I doubt it had to do with insufficient practice or presentation on his part. Anyways, I still recommend the Ghost Bills, but to sum it up as another old saying goes...

"Different strokes for different folks"

Take Care,
-Dave T. Wiltrout-

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results