Is magic the only art form where insults are compliments?

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Let me explain.

Magic seems (to me) to be the only art form where “I hate you” “you son of a b****”, and “f*** you” are taken as compliments? Because I get this all the time (Im 18 so doing magic for teens evokes this kind of response) and my reply is always “thank you” with a smile.

This may seem pointless but I just now thought about this. Is there any other performance art or art form where stuff that would normally be an insult, is a compliment?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Anything where you display a skill the audience doesn't have can elicit this reaction. I've gotten those responses with juggling, acrobatics, and fire performance (which is pretty close to juggling)

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Comedy and Rap (especially freestyle) also have this. Juggling acts, as Christopher mentioned, and entertaining acts like that also get it, as well as feats of danger and strength, and even sports. I think pretty much anything that is amazing to see gets these reactions Even filmography gets it, for example:

--------- SMALL SPOILER OF STAR WARS EPISODE 8 --------- YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED --------- SCROLL OR CLICK AWAY ----------
When Luke said "Laser Sword" I know a ton of people probably insulted J. J. Abrams and Rian Johnson as a compliment.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jun 29, 2017
Anything where you display a skill the audience doesn't have can elicit this reaction. I've gotten those responses with juggling, acrobatics, and fire performance (which is pretty close to juggling)
In my opinion i dont think that this is not 100% true because not all people know how to draw for example but when they see a painting or someone drawing in front of them they dont swear but when they see magic the thought of seeing something impossible thats way they say these words, will to me that why i think they do because i never been insulted for anything other than doing something almost impossible to the eye.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
In my opinion i dont think that this is not 100% true because not all people know how to draw for example but when they see a painting or someone drawing in front of them they dont swear but when they see magic the thought of seeing something impossible thats way they say these words, will to me that why i think they do because i never been insulted for anything other than doing something almost impossible to the eye.
When people see the Sistine Chapel they are always in wonderment. People probably do say something like "That fool" or "that's crazy" (which is an insult that we take as a compliment I'm realizing) or something.

Aug 15, 2017
Let me explain.

Magic seems (to me) to be the only art form where “I hate you” “you son of a b****”, and “f*** you” are taken as compliments? Because I get this all the time (Im 18 so doing magic for teens evokes this kind of response) and my reply is always “thank you” with a smile.

This may seem pointless but I just now thought about this. Is there any other performance art or art form where stuff that would normally be an insult, is a compliment?
That's a lot of friendly comments, innit?
And don't we say the same things even when we don't see actual magic?
Hasn't it happened with everyone that they have said to themselves, "What the F***!!!" After seeing an amazing scene in a movie.
Hasn't mind cried things on the lines of "F*** them" when you see an amazing group acrobatics-cum-dance performance?
Aren't we all guilty of these things?
But to answer your question in one single word, for me the answer would be ''no''. Magic is the only THING which can extract such responses. Because when we see a movie or a dance or some extreme skill being displayed, it looks like magic to us. We say "It looks magical." So many art forms can make people cuss (merely due to the facts that their brains are speechless and resort to the words we all say constantly in our minds. Also, don't deny :) )...but magic is the only THING, the only EXPERIENCE, the onlu THOUGHT which can make people say things like that.
PS:- We have reached a stage where cuss words are honest and some of the best compliments...well done 21st century.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results