Is the magic community shrinking?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
A few years ago when David Blaine and Criss Angel had their first tv shows the magic community really expanded.

When a new product were going to be released the hype were huge. Endless threads about new effects would pop up everywhere etc.

One thing i have noticed latly is that Internet magic community seems to be shrinking. Just one example is a HUUUGE release like the new Daniel Garcia project almost went by unnoticed. If it were to be released a few years ago we would have seen this gigantic hype around it and everyone would be talking about it.

formula

Elite Member
Jan 8, 2010
It is ever growing. The thing about when Blaine and Angel first came out is that magic was the flavor of the month but soon hobbyists realize magic isn't easy and slowly lose interest until the next time it's the popular thing.

Interesting question

I agree with the two previous comments as one. The magic community isn't shrinking, but what I find is that tricks are becoming less and less "magical" If someone wants to learn how a trick was done, they simply go on You-tube to find someone who explains the trick and unfortunately there are people out there who just want to be in on the secret. But back to the original question. I think that when people see things like the dollar through the picture, or levitation or the rising card they immediately think that they can go on You-tube, find out how to do it, see that it's SO simple, and then go perform for their friends, and when they start to mess up, they get discouraged and stop.

Jun 22, 2009
sarnia Ont. Canada
The "size" or popularity of a community constantly fluctuate...we can't help it that people may leave magic eventually...but lets be the ones that stay and keep it growing. "Theatre Head" I would say that there has to be a balance of communities , sure real life people and brick and mortar shops are important, however not all of us have that luxury. Plus if you don't care about the Internet magic community then why are you reading these threads and commenting in the first place.

Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
The internet magic community should not be your only collaboration with other magicians. At least get on a skype video call or something with others. The internet has only been around for a short time, and believe it or not, there were magicians who preceded it who also didn't have the luxury of easily accessible magic shops.

Jul 13, 2009
Yeah the magic community is shrinking. It has shrunk a lot, hell I can talk to a magician in Japan if I wanted to.

This has been a post by Silver, now signing out with one word,

Perspective.

Hello Guys,

The magic community is not shrinking at all!!! Its a term called "Desensitizing." Magic is still a mystery to a lot. But with media attention to people like Valentino, who gives away secrets. The world is now so use to it, that it takes something extremely mindblowing to get them interested. It sometimes takes an endurance artist or a death defying feat. (which is what I'm trying to do these days) There's not enough performing magicians. I use that term very loosely. There are stage magicians who gets paid. But other than a handful of us, there's not a lot of people performing for free. Its good to get paid for your craft, but lets face it. Unless you are The "top dogs", you are not going to get many people to spend their hard earned money to see a few magic tricks.

Vegas and California magicians don't count. Chances are if you have money to go to Vegas, you have money. Same for California. But thats just a small percentage of the world if you ask me that are exposed to magic on a daily basis. Also Criss Angel and David Blaine had basically done it all. People are now waiting for the next big thing you know. So I guess we need to ask ourselves, are we doing all we can to advance magic to keep people's interest, or are we just doing what we see the creators or other performers do.

Now I have ran this idea over with a few executives. I think in order for magic to get that mainstream media attention it deserves, we (meaning every magic performer) need the BET of magic. The ESPN of magic. The HBO of magic. We need a magic channel thats dedicated to magic all of the time. Sports didn't take off till it was exposed via TV. Same with music. Videos sold music. We need a magic channel. Talk shows, Variety, News epicenter. We need to all somehow get together and create the ESPN for magic.

I think Derren Brown or someone like him will be the person to gather the interest of lay people. He's not just simply magic. He's a mixture of things. However IMO, that person will have to be a bit more interesting than Derren. (No offense) He was a bit boring at times. Maybe A Geller/Brown-ish person. Just look at the signs, ghost hunting is killer these days, reality is killer, magic is still killer, but people are tired of card tricks.

Guys, I'm currently trying to push the envelope in some things that I do. Not saying i'll be the next big thing, but I'm saying that I have taken time off to evaluate what I want to do. I do have a criteria to judge myself. Lee Asher once told me, listen to your audience and they'll tell you what they want to see. I don't think magicians are doing that these days.

In case you don't know how to evaluat what you do, here's a few question to ask yourself:

Overall, What goals do I want to achieve?

How will the people react to what I do? Will they like it? Will they hate it?

What is it that I don't like about myself?

How can I fix that, or replace it?

Who are the people that inspires me?

How can I reach them or gain knowledge from them?

What about them that I don't like?

How can I incorporate the good about them within myself of my character?

How can I be different from them and still use the good about that person(s)?

What about my talent makes people happy or want to see more of?

What steps must I take to achieve these goals?

What will seperate me from the competition?

If there's no competition, how can I make what I do cool?

Whom must I talk with or get knowledge from in order for these ideas to happen?

Thats just a few questions. Chances are if you can answer these questions honestly, you will be able to bring something new to the table. Its aslo possible that one person can't do this alone, but its not impossible! Well these are just my thoughts. Hope I was able to shine some light on things.

P.S.

Calen Morelli is a breath of fresh air to magic!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results