Is there a place to get used/discounted card magic books

Sep 8, 2017
I have been doing card magic for 8 years, yet I do not have many many card books you guys have been recommending. Mostly the reason is because I was very young when I started magic, and didn't have money to buy books with. So I am probably as good as someone who has been doing card magic for 1 year. Now I am getting older, and want to get better, but I don't have tons of money to spend on these books like the card college volume.

The books I do have are
Royal Road
Lepaul
Encyclopedia of card magic
and some other card magic books I got when I was younger by Joshua Jay.

I have not studied lepaul like at all. And I will soon.
However I do want to add card college to my collection and other books like it, and am wondering is there anywhere to get cheaper/discounted card books? I don't have a ton of money, and for me spending some 200$ on card college 1-5 is impossible, and even 40$ is quite a lot of money. If you know of anywhere please tell me. Thanks!

Dec 1, 2013
Ebay is pretty good if you invest the time to search it, I recently got Card College volume 1 for £19 gbp which would be almost half price for the $40 you quoted (I think about $26)

There are some used magic book groups on facebook that are sometimes pretty good. I got Derren Brown's Pure Effect for £40 from one of these groups, but have seen it sold for up to £150 in other places.

Second hand bookshops or thrift shops can sometimes have real gems, which may not be priced too highly as magic books are a different niche.

I would say there isn't one place you can go to and find everything you are looking for, at amazing prices, it's more a case of being vigilant and lucky.

If I'm wrong and there is a website or something that someone else can provide (fingers crossed there is) that would be fantastic.

Reactions: NathanMagic

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Yes,

I have sent you a message. Also you can try seeing if your local library has an interlibrary loan program.

Good Luck,

ID4

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Magic Cafe has a forum for selling used books -- you have to be a member and have a minimum number of quality posts.
Amazon and EBay are good too.
Most of the other sites I know are for out of print books where you will be paying a premium over the original price because they are hard to get.

Reactions: NathanMagic
Oct 2, 2016
https://www.gutenberg.org/ is good for old out of copyright books if you have an eReader.
Both https://www.bookfinder.com and https://www.abebooks.co.uk are great for finding rarer books.
eBay is still the best place to look though but you may need to wait a while. The main problem with eBay is you can only have a maximum of 100 saved searches, the way I get around that is to have a second account just for searches, so between my normal account and the extra one I now have 200 slots available. You can get some great bargains that way, for example, Card Collage 1 for £10 (about $12.50) delivered which is around a quarter of the normal book price plus delivery.

Reactions: MADuke
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results