Is there to much of an emphasis on creating?

Do you think that many newer magicians today make a bigger deal out of creating new stuff, as opposed to just performing whats already out there?

Is this one reason why there is soooo much bad magic on the market today? I think that one should not try to create, until one has understood the thought process that goes with putting together a new routine, and learning how to properly structure a routine as well.

Your thoughts?
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
Montreal, Quebec
I have been more serious about magic for 2 year now and for me, creating is not that important for now. I have soooo many thing to learn that I don't realy spend time on trying to create. Routining my own trick is enought for me now. (EX: creating an ACR or a sandwich routine from many others sandwich routine) I think that it's better to focus on learning the basic and create when you feel realy conforteble with materiel that has been prove to work on live audience.

Sorry for my bad english :S Im French Canadian. yeah...

Oct 18, 2007
Yeah, I think too many people out there are looking at the commercial aspect of creating. There are also a lot of people though who create for themselves. I keep a little journal and I write down things that I think would be cool, and every now and then I play around with all kinds of methods. I'm still learning but that won't stop me from daydreaming about impossibilities, hahah.

Sep 1, 2007
Montreal, Quebec
I second that. I like to take note of Idea that I might have.

I wish I could train a rabbit to go all by imself inside a hat that would be in the midle of a stage and than the hat would explode and I would popup from nowhere. If someone can do that I would be kind of impress

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I second that. I like to take note of Idea that I might have.

I wish I could train a rabbit to go all by imself inside a hat that would be in the midle of a stage and than the hat would explode and I would popup from nowhere. If someone can do that I would be kind of impress

That doesn't really sound all that difficult.

Steve,

Once again, we are on the same wavelength.

Young magicians want to make 'a name' for themselves, and they think the only way to do this is to create.

Incorrect ;) A fantastic performer, is much better than a creator in my mind.

But a mixture of both, is what you will eventuate to, you just have to go about it the right way :).

Oct 24, 2007
I don't have time to read all the posts, but here it goes with me.

I learn new things, new sleights, and once I have the sleight mastered. I then take the sleight and see what else I can create with it, what other ways I can use it. I know the Ego Change is a color change, but I also use it as a sleight. Once I've explored as much as I can think of, I learn a new sleight. I do learn the occasional trick though, but I just like making my own tricks because it has my own feel to it.

Anyway, that's just how I do things. Peace!

Tyler

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
For the young magicians with no performance skill I agree they shouldn't just sit around trying to create, but if they get an idea they might as well try it out. Yeah I need to work on my performance aspect of my magic right now like the people you mentioned, because I'm one, and I want to get better.

I don't think we should stop people from creating, because creating will help them expand their creativity. It's these people trying to market their creation immediately after the creation. If you've got a killer creation on your hand, use it! That's what it's for!

Mitch

Dec 14, 2007
I once had two very smart, young magicians come to me and ask that I teach them technique. They were very creative and thought that if they learned technique they would be able, on their own, to create new ideas.

They tried. Guess what?

All their ideas were awful.

Think about it this way.

Let's say you wanted to learn a new language and write creative stories in that language. So, you get a dictionary and just start learning words. How well do you think your stories will turn out?

Not good at all.

Magic has a syntax, a language. When you get good at understanding that language, you can read a trick and know whether or not it will play; you can create a trick and know whether to not it will play. (Honestly, sometimes things do work when they break the rules, so you should keep an open mind, but this is a rare thing.)

If you want to learn to be a great creator, learn lots of tricks. Great tricks.

This may sound like an old timer talking, but tricks that were created by someone in the teens or early twenties have not had enough time to become great. They might be great IDEAS, but you want tricks that someone has performed for years and years for REAL people, for REAL money. OR great tricks created by super smart amateurs in our field.

Learn everyone of them, one a day. Don't perform them all. Just learn them. And soon you will start to think deceptively.

Here are some sources: Workers by Michael Close. The Secrets of Brother John Hamman. The Alex Elmsley Books. The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings. The John Bannon books. (All of these guys - except Close - were amateurs, but they really understood deceptive trick construction and you can learn so much from studying them.)

Brad Henderson

Sep 1, 2007
UK
The problem is not the over-emphasis on creating, it's the emphasis on marketing.

There is nothing wrong with creating new magic. Many people, including myself, find it very enjoyable, and the sense of satisfaction gained from performing your own effects and routines to great success is so much better than nailing a carbon copy of somebody else's.

Creating is also a great way of learning how various aspects of magic have developed. As you create, you eventually find that many of the things you have seemingly come up with yourself have been done before. This is great when it happens, because you are put at an immediate advantage. Not only have you gained a much better understanding of the sleight/effect, but you now also have refined sources of information and teaching to help progress faster.

Discourage creativity would only have a negative impact on magic.

Marketing is the real problem. How many times have you seen a thread on a forum entitled "My new effect"? The word "new" in this title could mean one of two things. Firstly, it could mean that it is new (or coming soon) to the market, but this is rarely the case, and when it is, sadly, the second meaning of the word "new" also applies. This second meaning is that they have only just come up with the idea, in which case they should not be calling it an effect, they should be calling it an idea, and the only reason it should be shared is to get feedback and help in turning it into a working effect (although even that should come after some sort of development and work on the part of the creator).

Due to it's relevance, I thought I would share this. I love creating magic; it is cheap, fun, and can be very satisfying. A lot of what I perform is my own, and I have shared a few videos and ideas on magic forums before. I have now come to realise that overall, there is no benefit to doing this. It's nice to receive good feedback, but when you start receiving comments such as "Sell this now, I want to buy it!", it can often take a strong mind not to get drawn into the hype of your own effects. Public forums are also a great place to showcase your creations or ideas to people who want to steal from you. Because you give no method, some people can be convinced that if they ultimately use what to provided to create the same effect, then they have the right to call themselves the creator, because you never told them the method. There are so many people using the internet that even the tiniest minority of people like this could jeopardise your rights as the creator. If you want useful feedback and help with things you are developing, look to your most trusted friends, and find people with good experience and an excellent reputation among other magicians.

"Submit a trick. Invent. Be famous."

I'm sure you've seen this kind of thing before. This right here is a big part of the problem. Firstly, it hides the real benefit to creating. Inventing becomes about being famous, rather than being able to do something magical. Secondly, it promotes the creation of magic specifically for marketing. If we really want to create good magic, we shouldn't need any kind of motivation from other magicians or companies, the motivation should be in what you can do for the people you perform to.

Huruey

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results