Is this an original color change?

Link:

I discovered this card flick/color change a few weeks ago while experimenting on card flicks. I was performing it to my friend and he asked if it was original. I had to say "I'm not sure". Now before you say anything, this is not the duck change. I haven't seen anyone do this color change so it might be original, but I'm not so sure.

I don't want to be called a phony if I call it an original, so I need to know if this is has already been invented.

Thanks in advance!

I've definitely seen this before, in fact I use it, but I can't find a source for it. I'm sure I've heard it referred to as the 'Splash Change' in the past, credited to Paul Harris, though I can't substantiate that.

Best evidence I can find: Blaine does it in the below video at about 1min 40sec. Given Paul Harris is a big inspiration to Blaine and one of his mentors/advisers, it seems logical to assume PH is where he learned it. This also happens to be one of my favourite clips of Blaine performing:

Rev

PS: Watch your handling, you expose the double right at the start of the colour change.

Reactions: lolhammertime
I've definitely seen this before, in fact I use it, but I can't find a source for it. I'm sure I've heard it referred to as the 'Splash Change' in the past, credited to Paul Harris, though I can't substantiate that.

Best evidence I can find: Blaine does it in the below video at about 1min 40sec. Given Paul Harris is a big inspiration to Blaine and one of his mentors/advisers, it seems logical to assume PH is where he learned it. This also happens to be one of my favourite clips of Blaine performing:

Rev

PS: Watch your handling, you expose the double right at the start of the colour change.
Thanks for the reply, too bad it's not original... But it's cool though.

As for the handling, I'm too sleepy to do a cleaner one right now, I definitely had better in the past.

EDIT: David Blaine seemed to do the duck change, but whatever, I usually do this card change in a charlier, to make the effect nicer, which I never seen people do before, so I guess that concept is original?

Reactions: Josh Burch
Thanks for the reply, too bad it's not original... But it's cool though.

As for the handling, I'm too sleepy to do a cleaner one right now, I definitely had better in the past.

EDIT: David Blaine seemed to do the duck change, but whatever, I usually do this card change in a charlier, to make the effect nicer, which I never seen people do before, so I guess that concept is original?

I had to look up the Duck Change as I am not familiar with it. My only observation is that you 'bend' the card slightly differently to do the change. Seems like such a minor point that it really doesn't warrant the moniker 'original'. Even taking the minor difference into account, Blaine definitely doesn't do the Duck Change.

As for doing it into a Charlier, I bet that looks really good! However, again, it's such a minor handling variation that I'm not sure I would call it original. It's like claiming a trick is original because the deck is face-up rather than face-down.

Keep up the creating though! I know from my own experience that you will pretty much re-invent something that already exists dozens of times before you end up with an original idea. That's just the nature of the game were in!

Rev

I had to look up the Duck Change as I am not familiar with it. My only observation is that you 'bend' the card slightly differently to do the change. Seems like such a minor point that it really doesn't warrant the moniker 'original'. Even taking the minor difference into account, Blaine definitely doesn't do the Duck Change.

As for doing it into a Charlier, I bet that looks really good! However, again, it's such a minor handling variation that I'm not sure I would call it original. It's like claiming a trick is original because the deck is face-up rather than face-down.

Keep up the creating though! I know from my own experience that you will pretty much re-invent something that already exists dozens of times before you end up with an original idea. That's just the nature of the game were in!

Rev
Thanks for the information! I really thought Blaine did the duck change though.

Here's a video of a charlier color change brought to you by yours truly:

Creating original anything where cards are concerned can be a real challenge. There are just only so many ways to reveal a selected card. Then again music hasn't invented any new notes in the past few centuries yet we still constantly produce new songs so I suppose my argument is at best a weak one. None the less the point I'm going to make is check out the classics that teach card work: Tarbel, Card College, Erdnase, Royal Road, to name a few. A lot of stuff on the market today is modernization or spin offs of concepts created or explored back at the turn of the century. Not only are these great reference sources but they also teach a LOT of really good magic in them too! Each are well worth the read.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results