It's My Party I Can Dai If I Want To

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
Hello all, my birthday is fast approaching and i was looking for some more info and opinions on a few different products that i may be recieving.

Im currently looking at Bebel's dvd Enfin, Harry Lorayne's Apocalypse #3 and The Complete works of Derek Dingle. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on those 3 products, specifically what you love most or hate about each one as well as little things that make it truly special. In addition i would love to hear which of the three you would rank the best and downward from there. Also, for those of you who own it, i would really like to know more about bebel's dvd. I am reasonably familiar with his work, but i do not speak french. It is my understanding that the effects on the dvd can be picked up and learned without that boon, that only the patter and subtle verbal misdirections Bebel employs will be lost. Ideally i would have liked to wait for his book in english but since its been over a year since i heard news on that im wondering, is it worth getting the dvd and making due?

any information, reviews, opinions would be great.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'm not sure what you mean by nasty, but Apocalypse contains a huge amount of great magic.

Whilst I have heard good things about Bebel's DVD, I don't think picking it up is a good idea if you cannot speak French. As you say, you will miss out on presentational points and verbal aspects of magic - which means you're missing out on about 90% of the whole darn thing. The method is unimportant, you can find loads of methods for all of his effects anywhere. That's not why his material is good. Unfortunately, that is something that should be taught verbally imo.

Complete Works of Derek Dingle... Difficult book. A lot of tricks written for magicians. Doesn't mean it's not impressive to laymen, of course, but you should be aware of that point. Very heavily sleight based. Some great routines. Rollover Aces is one of the best but most difficult effects I've seen in print. I sometimes think that it's needlessly difficult and technical, but that's just my opinion (from someone who doesn't actually perform card magic anymore).

I think what will have the most practical utility for you is Apocalypse. If only because of the language, I would rate the Derek Dingle book second. But, look, only you can decide whether that sort of book is for you. There's a lot of very advanced card magic in there. If you're not proficient in advanced sleights, I'd wait till you are to get it, if only because it will take you less time to learn the effects (and therefore perform them), and you'll appreciate it a bit more if you're not struggling with the moves to begin with.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Like said by Prae Apocolypes is an amazing set of great magic and Dereks book its tough but there is some great magic it in and his refinement on a few techniques.

Like both But for a range of effects coins ropes and such i would go for Apocolypse in varies in difficulty and has some cool stuff in there.

Tom

Aug 17, 2010
I have Apocalypse #1, and it's jam-packed with stuff. Seriously, you'll keep going back to it for years to come.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results