JDENredden's Ideas Vol. 1

Feb 15, 2008
Hello world

Basically, JDENredden had come up with a little collection of ideas (hence the name) and compiled it into a neat ebook. He was kind enough to send these around for reviews. It can be found at http://jdenredden.com/

‘Ideas’ is a series to PDF’s I plan to release to kick start your creativity. Today magic tricks are spoon fed to you. The patter is given to you word by word. Most of us won’t change the effect at all. So I’m going to do something different, I’m not going to give you patter, I’m not going to give you the effect, I’m going to give you the idea behind the method and how I came to the method. This will make you create an effect around the idea and patter around the effect.

JDENredden's Ideas Vol. 1 - Brief Overview

The ebook contains a total of 9 effects.

Deo- A way of ditching a coin with deodorant
L1NKED- Linking rubber bands with 0NE rub-
ber band.
Time- A prediction using the computer.
Hot- A completely clean blister effect.
Sharpie- Instant re-cap of a Sharpie Marker.
Stuck- A stupidly simple coin vanish.
Clip- Paperclip and rubber band penetration.
Gone- A vanishing concept.

First impressions:
Reminds me of Organic by DnD. Very similar format, design, and both contain "ideas" instead of "how to's" and fully developed effects.

The Effects:
Deo
Hmm... An interesting idea. Basically, it's a way of ditching a coin after vanishing it, with the help of a can of deo. It's something I might use, probably at school, when everyone is spraying deo everywhere. However, this uses a gimmick, which, although easily found and something you probably have at home or at school, is still a fuss (for me anyways), so I might tinker with the idea, and try to eliminate the need for the gimmick

L1NKED
JDENredden metions that he came up with this version of L1NKED while playing with Chris Kenner's "Missing Link". As stated in the ebook:

L1NKED will not look at all good by it self. It should 0NLY be performed after ‘Missing Link’, never by it self. It just won’t make any sense.

Basically, after performing Missing Link, you offer to do it again, but instead you "merge" the two bands into one.

Although I personally love rubberband tricks (big fan of Dan Harlan), and have them on my wrist everyday, I don't think I can fit L1NKED in my routines, because 1) I hate Missing Link and 2) The style doesn't seem to fit my performing evironment. Only time will tell.

Time
Eh... not liking this one. It's an idea for a prediction effect, where the prediction is delivered electronically, through email, although text messages would probably work. It's kind of weak, to be honest. You'll see what I mean when you understand how this works. Not my type.

Hot
One of my favourites. It's a revamp on Daniel Madison's "Infliction" on his own ebook "Collateral", where the gimmick is contained within a matchbox, instead of a deck of cards. This may come in handy for me, but I don't carry matches with me very often. When I do, I'll be sure to prepare my matchbox like its taught in "Hot"

Sharpie
Sharpie is a take on Dan Hauss's "Redline", but as the name suggests, it uses a sharpie marker instead of a chapstick. A definite improvment from "Redline", as sharpies are simply more popular than chapsticks (at least for my audience). Still, I didn't get Redline because I didn't feel the effect suited me and my audience, and that the effect was rather weak, so I don't think I would use Sharpie a lot.

Stuck
Nothing new. This concealment has been used by loads of magicians. If you've read Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, this effect is quite similar to "New Era Coin Go" by Jimmy Buffaloe, on page 34. To be honest, go with "New Era Coin go". Stuck is a nice idea, but is nothing more than another version of this old, used and reused concealment.

Clip
Also one of my favourites. Using a paperclip instead of a ring to perform the classic "Ring and Rubber Band" routine suits my performing environment well. Although I still prefer using a finger ring (more convincing IMO), doing the effect with a paperclip would be very beneficial, as at school, I can find paperclips much more easily.

Bye
I'm sure anyone (including myself) who have been performing with rubber bands extensively would have come across this idea already. It's an idea for a vanishing method for many miscellaneous . Can't say much more without revealing the method.

Tenkai
Same with Bye, I think anyone who has been tinkering with the Tenkai palm, especially with random objects, would have come across this idea already. Quite basically, a neat way to vanish everyday objects with the Tenkai palm.

Conclusion
Overall, I think it's a nice little collection of ideas. Some would come in useful, perhaps when developing your own effects and routines, but some would go straight out of the window. I think that, to be quite honest, everyone has ideas like this, and that they shouldn't be published in such a raw format, without further refinement. Also, the teaching method is a little disappointing. The lack of pictures and brief descriptions don't really help.

Other than that, I must congratulate JDENredden on creating this compilation of ideas, and I wish him best of luck selling this ebook.

I give the ebook a total of 7/10

Suggestions would be to decrease the price to perhaps $4.95 :p and to refine the teaching methods in the book.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results