Just an idea out there...

Aug 27, 2008
Tijuana bC
So this friend of mine also a magician thought of this idea to be honest I do like it... he said that we can join up like 8 or 9 of friends or friends of our friends, and do a show including dinner of their choice so they write down what they want to eat lets say a hamburger from i dunno lets say mc donalds so they would pay for the burger and pay 9 or 10 bucks for the show during which they will dine and hopefully have a good time with the magic. the show would run like 45 minutes of my friend and I just performing what we think top knotch material we have perfected over the years. give me feed back on what you think would really help me out or make the show much better. and no... no alcohol I have the experience of performing for drunk'd up people and its really hard to keep there attention, I believe that alcohol brings out a little heckler in all of them.

thanks to all in advance

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
First of all.

Organize your thoughts before you speak. This goes from forum posts to scripting magic tricks on up to phone calls with future clients.

People are more likely to read, think and respond if you have an idea that has (at least the appearance) of a lot of thought behind it.

With that said. Where would you do the show?

It sounds like a good idea, find a place, throw a party for friends and ask them to come and check out you and your friends act.
Maybe a uniform meal plan? Pizzas or cook burgers and let people top them on their own.

Charge admission (and have meal costs included) but just say that it's a show with free food and concessions. Pay for the show, get free food, but in reality the money goes towards the meal as well.

Unless you want a small performance before taking it big time, maybe invite 10 people and tell them to invite anyone they think would like to come, but make sure you get notice so that you'll be prepared food-wise.
If it's just 10-15 friends it won't be as much of a deal.

I think getting everyone together, hanging out for 30 minutes before the show (eating, maybe one or two teaser tricks, get everyone in a good mood/excited...etc) could help it run smooth.

I'll say it again though, re-organize your post. Stand strong behind your idea.
If it sounds good to you, who cares what others think, just put it out there with conviction.

-Rik

Dec 26, 2007
First of all.

Organize your thoughts before you speak. This goes from forum posts to scripting magic tricks on up to phone calls with future clients.

People are more likely to read, think and respond if you have an idea that has (at least the appearance) of a lot of thought behind it.

With that said. Where would you do the show?

It sounds like a good idea, find a place, throw a party for friends and ask them to come and check out you and your friends act.
Maybe a uniform meal plan? Pizzas or cook burgers and let people top them on their own.

Charge admission (and have meal costs included) but just say that it's a show with free food and concessions. Pay for the show, get free food, but in reality the money goes towards the meal as well.

Unless you want a small performance before taking it big time, maybe invite 10 people and tell them to invite anyone they think would like to come, but make sure you get notice so that you'll be prepared food-wise.
If it's just 10-15 friends it won't be as much of a deal.

I think getting everyone together, hanging out for 30 minutes before the show (eating, maybe one or two teaser tricks, get everyone in a good mood/excited...etc) could help it run smooth.

I'll say it again though, re-organize your post. Stand strong behind your idea.
If it sounds good to you, who cares what others think, just put it out there with conviction.

-Rik

I would just like to say that for some reason i can't put my finger on, that is one of the best post i have ever read. Keep up the ggod work and i would reccommend that this advice is taken by you hector

Jan 13, 2008
I definitely think this sounds like a good idea, as my brother and I have been planning the same thing for a while.

My brother owns a restaurant, so we're going to do a "dinner and a show". The price will be one set price for the dinner and show as a combination, not separate (similar to what foolz suggested, although not mentioning that it's for the show with free foods and concessions--similar line of thinking, though).

I highly suggest you get a good venue, as that will make a difference (i.e., I wouldn't take a magician who puts on a special show at McDonalds all that seriously, were I a layman). It's easy with us, because my brother owns the restaurant (where he is known for doing magic, where I occasionally do magic, and where he's had well known musical guests perform as well). But definitely choose a classy or semi-classy venue, or one where people would expect you to perform (even a community center, for example).

Also, I know you've mentioned that you and your friends have performed, but I'm just hoping you mean in front of real audiences and not just the mirror. Seriously, there's often a big performance difference (which is usually most noticeable when first starting out, but I still get the pre-show jitters). If any of your friends haven't performed for an audience very much, I'd suggest volunteering at retirement homes or children's hospitals to start with for experience (actually, I'd suggest performing at those venues anyway, since it's just a nice thing to do). :)

That's about all I can say that hasn't been mentioned already. Oh, and good luck! :)

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Well, I would ditch the food idea. It's a fun idea (similar to a dinner theater idea), but not worth the hassle. Basically, you need someone to prepare the food (likely a caterer=$$$) even if the meal is simple. Depending where you rent to do this, they may have specific caterers that you need to use, even if you are just serving canned pop.

On top of that, if someone gets sick form the food, although difficult for someone to legitimately complain, you can be held legally responsible.

One more thing would be that the food has a chance to help the evening, but it could also hinder it. If the show was great but the food was just okay, then the night as a whole was just okay. If the food sucked, or there was bad service etc, then the night was even worse.
--
So, it would be better for you to rent a small theater or other space, and advertise an evening of magic with various magicians. Charge an admission, and make sure you deliver. Without the worry of food, you can focus on making the evening awesome. You can even have magicians doing close up at intermission.
The Edmonton Magic Club is doing something similar in April as a charity event. Great idea to do a collaborative show!

-Justin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results