Just got back from the AGT auditions.

Jul 15, 2017
Hey Theory 11 crew,

I just got back from the auditions for the Cincinnati America's Got Talent auditions. Naturally I auditioned as a magician and I would love to give you all a run down of how the day went. Maybe this will help those who want to audition in the future.

11:00 am: I arrived at the Duke Energy Center and hopped into the ENORMOUS registration line. If you go be prepared to chill in this line for about two hours.
11:30 am: I'm moving through this reg line and I met a couple of really cool people, I quickly realized that there were not many magicians auditioning next to the amount of singers and dancers that showed up...so needless to say in this sea of people I was a bit of an oddity. Every time someone would ask me what my act was, I would tell them and they would always...and I mean always, ask me to do a trick, I probably did like twenty + random performances for other contestants between all of the lines.

1:00 pm: I am put into a really really big holding room, here we remained for six hours. This place was the coolest part of the day. There were so many people singing, playing instruments and performing. I noticed what magicians where there had set up a performance table in one corner of the room and we all took turns doing different performances for each other and random people walking around. Understand there were over 300 - 500 people in the holding room at one time and that was with them taking about 100 at a time to the 2nd holding room for their auditions.

1:00 pm - 7:00 pm - filled with performances, singing, dancing, and magic...this was easily the coolest part. I'm glad I took an extra deck of cards with me, this is where I was asked to do the majority of my tricks.

7:00 pm: We get taken to holding room #2, here there's only 100 people and they start breaking us up into groups of 25 to take us to audition rooms. The mood get significantly less jovial. Much more intense here.

7:30: I'm taken with 24 other hopefuls to an audition room. They sit us in the hall outside till the other group before us is finished.

8:00 pm: We go into the audition room and they put half of us on one side of the room and the other half on the other. There is a big x in the middle of the room and one producer judging us at the back of the room at a table. I realize something fast, I'm not allowed to walk up to him, and he is busy taking notes...this was a problem. The trick I picked was designed to be done close to the judges and it's very visual..I needed to improvise. As other people began to take their 90 seconds I started to figure out how to make my trick work. I decided that if it couldn't be visual I would have to paint a picture with words. I improvised a story of reaching through time and space and knowing what his thought of card was. So when I got up, I did my trick, and wove a story of seeing through time and space and knowing what card he would think of and say. He said 5 of clubs, that just so happened to be the only card that I had written on the back, see in AGT the thing you want to hear is yes, to past to the next round and on the back of his selected card, I had wrote yes. All other cards had an X written on them. It got a great reaction in the room and he seemed impressed.

9:00 pm: We are let out and told to wait outside the door. Me and two others are brought back in for additional questioning. I can't actually tell anyone anymore on this part, can't wait to let you all know though.

All in all it was a wonderful experience, I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new experience, it's worth it for the amount you get to perform throughout the day alone. As always thank you for your time and if you want to know anything past this, if I can answer it I will! Peace.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results