Kid Splashed Milkshake On Me!

So, I have a weekly Friday night gig at a yacht club where they have a family night out by the pool where I set up my table & all the kids, mainly 2-5 years old, line up & I make balloons sculptures for them, & I occasionally do magic when things are slow & I have no line. So of course, most of the time its just the kids in line with there parents all seated at there lounge tables. Now I've had water, & even ice thrown at me, as Im sure there thinking its ok since there in & out of the pool all night soaking wet & water all over the place. But I have a high tolerance & dont care about that, water will just dry & it doesnt stain your clothes, & there just kids being kids, being rambunctious as you would expect, but what happened to me tonight, is just mind boggling.

So there is this 5 year old boy in my line with a styrofoam cup with a chocolate milkshake... & WHAM! He deliberatley splashes it all over me in front of a line full of people, & starts laughing!!! In my head, Im like WTF!!!!!!! All I could think to say to him was "Are you serious?" & than "Well guess what you dont get now?" & of course, parents NO where to be found, & I had to go to the bathroom & clean myself off as best as I could. I had a white undershirt that got it bad with a black button up over it, so I just took the t-shirt off & put it back on backwards, & I was able to get the rest off the black shirt. There was shake all over my case, table shoes, it was a mess, & I was HEATED. But I came back & acted like nothing happened all though I was absolutely burning up on the inside, & finished up for everyone else who was still there waiting, who also was looking around & wondering where his parents were, but I said dont worry about it & I continued, just smiling & still making the kids laugh as I always do.

About an hour later, he comes up to me crying hysterically apologizing, so I shook his hand & forgave him, than the mother came up all smiles & says "Can I get you anything, like maybe a chocolate shake for you thats not spilled all over you?" She didnt seem the least bit remorsefull or apologetic for what her son did. But than again, that might've been different if she saw how bad it was BEFORE I cleaned up, as you couldnt tell anything was spilled on me, so she probably figured it wasnt that bad since she didnt see any milkshake stains on me or my stuff. But I always think that I should be nice & proffessional, even to her, because for all I know she might want to hire me for a birthday party or recommend me to someone else, you never know.

Of course, thinking about it now, I wonder if I should've stopped right than & had his mother located right after it happened so she could see what her son just did. Of course, the entertainer in me was saying "I still have customers in my line waiting, & I must clean up asap & take care of them first & worry about the boy later." & I know I couldnt let my anger show, as I didnt want the actions of 1 boy ruin there good time, as I know if they could tell that I was uncomfortable & agitated, they would be as well, & that's the last thing I want. & so far to date, tonight was my most humiliating & worst gig ever, & I'm just glad it's over.

So, what would you do?

Sep 11, 2010
First, I want to say that this is the most bizarre scenario I have ever come across. When does a random kid come up and pour his milkshake on you?

I think you handled the situation in the best manner possible. You remained professional. Kids make bad decisions, but your actions can make a huge difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you handled it pretty well. One question though... is there any specific reason some kid would throw a milkshake on you, or was he just a brat? Also, I would've mentioned to the mom that it got on your kit.

I dont know, all I know is before & after he tossed the shake, he had a devilish smile on his face aside from laughing his head off after doing it, while everyone else just stood there with there jaws dropped like me. He even said "HA, that was funny!" than one of the adults stepped up & said "Maybe it was funny to you, but Im sure he didnt think so.", than he had the audacity to stand there still waiting & expecting me to still make him a balloon, what nerve!

I admire you for this. Any performer who chooses to do anything for children is above what i will ever be. If you can entertain a group of ranting 5 year olds then you can probably get yourself doing that to a bit older group.

I had a kid start hitting me with pillows once. So i did what i always do(my brother has 2 kids and sister has a daughter),
I turned to his grandparents(the ones i did the show for) and got them to a quiet place and had a talk with them. Explaned the situation that happened and how i would deal with it but left the door open for them to deal with it in their own manner. I also took great care of getting them back in the mood of the party to not make them sad on a special day.

I still dread performing for kids and that incident in my mind made it clear that i´m not capable of controlling them. So my hat is off and i think that whatever you do never start parenting another persons kid. As long as they don´t come at you with a knife the solution you made up was excellent. The show must go on, even when a few hiccups happen.

Best of luck!
M.

Jun 10, 2010
I think you handled it pretty well. One question though... is there any specific reason some kid would throw a milkshake on you, or was he just a brat? Also, I would've mentioned to the mom that it got on your kit.

I disagree. It'd look better if you didn't go cry to his mom about it. She was obviously being polite, even if she didn't care, and to not go along with that would stand out as somewhat rude behavior (despite the situation, it WOULD come across that way).

Moore, I think you handled it perfectly.

Apr 14, 2011
And thats why i hate kids.

Oh god, I know. I was doing some magic for my little cousins ( Im 14 and theyre about 6 )
I was doing some simple double lift tricks and the little girl grabs my NEW Black Tiger deck and throws it on the ground.
Luckily my uncle flipped out and scolded her severely lol

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Oh god, I know. I was doing some magic for my little cousins ( Im 14 and theyre about 6 )
I was doing some simple double lift tricks and the little girl grabs my NEW Black Tiger deck and throws it on the ground.

It is all about audience management. If you are likable with kids you won't come across those problems.

Jan 20, 2009
California
It is all about audience management. If you are likable with kids you won't come across those problems
This is not true i have been perfoming for over 20yr. and every now and then you will run into some little spawn
of satan who just cant be controlled i dont care how good you are.
I think Moore handled it great.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Wowsers....that is insane. I cannot say I have had anything remotely close to that happen yet but I am willing to bet I would have done the exact same thing as you. I would have excused myself for 5 minutes to go clean up and tell the people in line that I would be right back and that I apologize.

Or...if you did not want to leave your post...possibly told someone in line if they went and got you a wet rag and a dry towel you would make them something extra special.

I am still in udder disbelief. I have had my table of props knocked over by kids and things but never anything tossed on me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Hah kids? I'm 14, and I know adults who sometimes behave VERY childish... I really don't know why, but I guess it's something about a kid fooling them... One time, after I did dresscode, this adult, family friend of course, literally got up and ran over tearing off my jacket... Well not tearing, but you get what I mean... Sometimes its funny, but sometimes its just annoying...

But then again, that only happened once... And most likely won't happen with anyone else...

Rupayan

When I'm performing for kids I always have some extra with cards that I give them to play with so that they can kinda pretend and play along with me. I think the hardest thing to understand with kids is that unless you give them something to do (like play with some cards) they're going to find something to do themselves and sometimes it can be something bad... kids don't focus easily so if you can get them to feel like you're actually playing a game with them you usually won't have any problems. For the most part kids won't be content to just sit and watch. They have to be actively doing something otherwise they get bored easily and find their own ways to have fun which could end up badly for you as a performer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results