Kiddie Section of Theory11, and Stage Magic Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hello all,

I've been getting increasingly disturbed by the amount of nonsense being posted in these forums. Please, don't get me wrong, I love discussing magic with the 10% of you that know what you're talking about and perform regularly. It seems this past month that the good information is bogged down by worthless one to two sentence posts by people under some delusions of mediocrity.

It seems people are wasting time trying to tell certain members valuable information, and it is falling upon deaf ears. Also, what the hell happened to anything resembling good grammar? Too many times I've looked at a thread that sounded something like this..

"IM NOT WHIning im making a point i can take critizm that prativotss guy i can take his critizm but when people say stuff i missed that isnt true like you never showed the 3 of c im not trying to get attention OK?!"

It took me a few minutes to actually understand that this was some type of English. Reading these posts are much worse than anything a SpamBot posts.

I wish we had a 'Private' forum, that sorted out the riff-raff. The Magic Cafe does this with the secret sessions, making sure you have 'x' posts before being able to get into a certain forum. I think this would help a lot, and make magic easier to discuss among people who actually understand the craft.

/end rant.

Now, here's my progress in my stage show that I'm planning to present within the next TWO years. I've recently purchased "Technique and Understanding" by Jim Steinmeyer, and "Build Your Own Illusions" volume 1 and 2 from Osbourne, and now I'm starting on building some illusions.

The first illusion that I'm working on is a Sword Box. I've always loved this one, and have some ideas for a cool variation on it. I'll try to let you guys know how it goes with this, and other illusions. Also, I would love to hear your advice!! I'm working on a card manipulation routine right now, and still researching and studying stage magic. It's like a whole new world!

Thanks for reading through my little novel of a thread, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Jun 10, 2010
Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth. I got 5 names for you, and I hope to god you ignore them: Mehar, Towtox, R.K. Magician78, Ilovestreetmagic, and PGAmagic.

^I have just named the 5 most noobiest noobs of theory11. Oh, ****, I forgot Elite Prestidigitation. Don't forget him. He's a nubstar.

Sep 9, 2010
Hello all,

I've been getting increasingly disturbed by the amount of nonsense being posted in these forums. Please, don't get me wrong, I love discussing magic with the 10% of you that know what you're talking about and perform regularly. It seems this past month that the good information is bogged down by worthless one to two sentence posts by people under some delusions of mediocrity.

It seems people are wasting time trying to tell certain members valuable information, and it is falling upon deaf ears. Also, what the hell happened to anything resembling good grammar? Too many times I've looked at a thread that sounded something like this..

"IM NOT WHIning im making a point i can take critizm that prativotss guy i can take his critizm but when people say stuff i missed that isnt true like you never showed the 3 of c im not trying to get attention OK?!"

It took me a few minutes to actually understand that this was some type of English. Reading these posts are much worse than anything a SpamBot posts.

I wish we had a 'Private' forum, that sorted out the riff-raff. The Magic Cafe does this with the secret sessions, making sure you have 'x' posts before being able to get into a certain forum. I think this would help a lot, and make magic easier to discuss among people who actually understand the craft.

/end rant.

Now, here's my progress in my stage show that I'm planning to present within the next TWO years. I've recently purchased "Technique and Understanding" by Jim Steinmeyer, and "Build Your Own Illusions" volume 1 and 2 from Osbourne, and now I'm starting on building some illusions.

The first illusion that I'm working on is a Sword Box. I've always loved this one, and have some ideas for a cool variation on it. I'll try to let you guys know how it goes with this, and other illusions. Also, I would love to hear your advice!! I'm working on a card manipulation routine right now, and still researching and studying stage magic. It's like a whole new world!

Thanks for reading through my little novel of a thread, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

Instead of post count, which can easily be reached through spamming, why not have a section that is invitation only? as in, a moderator has to give you priveleges to get in based on your skill and maturity.

Jun 10, 2010
Instead of post count, which can easily be reached through spamming, why not have a section that is invitation only? as in, a moderator has to give you priveleges to get in based on your skill and maturity.

Very good idea, lol. One of the T11 staff, artists, or moderators (Like any of the artists or forum mods) should have to invite you to a hidden forum...

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Let's take a step back for a moment. Every single person reading this - whether it was last year, last month, or 20 years ago - was once a beginner. A super noob! Every single one of us started out as a "noob." If we dismiss those that are just starting in magic, we discount and dim the horizon of potential within this artform.

That member you dismiss today could quickly become the Daniel Garcia, Jason England, or David Blaine of tomorrow. Why must he be dismissed? Why should his fresh voice not be heard? I agree with you that we request perfect capitalization, punctuation, and grammar to foster a professional atmosphere, but the reality is that technical skill and creativity in magic has very little correlation with English grammar. I love Daniel Garcia, and I love Chris Kenner, but both would be very quick to admit that perfect punctuation is not their finest skill. But who cares? They're not perfect. No one is.

Within this forum, we must be persistent in remaining positive, professional, and courteous. The member reading your post may have started magic in August or in August of 1971. You never know. But the words you say and the community we cultivate can contribute immeasurably to the advancement of one single member, and that one single member could just be the next big thing in magic.

Remember that the most vocal are not always the most knowledgeable. And above all, respect eachother and expect no less than respect in response. If you ever notice or believe a post to be out of line, or outside the bounds of our forum rules, report it and our moderators will step in and act accordingly.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I feel as though I have been put into this "noob" and "nonsense" category, and I don't understand why. Yes, I have posted some threads with not much content in them for instance my thread about Hardcore, but most of the time that is just to start conversation.

I have been into magic for a good 3 years. I do not learn magic off of youtube and I am not a youtube magician. I go out and perform all the time and there is proof in my youtube video's.

Also, I have gotten out of the stage of "buy everything new." While, yes, I have gotten a few new things here lately and I will get a few new things in the next few months, but before I buy anything I think about it and I look at what I already perform and look for ways I can use it in my routines. If I see a way I can use it then I will get it and I will practice it and I will perform it.

Also, I plan to start working within the next 3 or 4 months.

I feel that I have been put into the categories I stated, though, and I feel I deserve a bit more respect for what I have done.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Hmmm. I'm not a big fan of the "you have to have a certain number of posts to have access to this forum" system because anyone could spam and just get in, as mentioned by TheIllusionistCasen...

Now, the moderator privilege system where "you are advanced only if a person of higher stature thinks you are worthy" sounds EXTREMELY tempting, and my mind is telling me right now, why are you posting this, stop, but I would go against that idea. That would create a quick biased social hierarchy which is not something that would be useful in these types of forums. People could advance if they have the simple connections...

But we still need a solution to this problem of spammers and people who just want to make others' lives horrible. But the biggest problem are the noobs. Now I normally use this degrading term, but since JB used it, I find in myself some assurance that it will be fine. So now, yes, we were all noobs at a point. And yes, some of us were probably some of those really annoying noobs who think they're better than everyone. And sadly I admit, I was one for a short while too. But I changed. And so can these noobs... But the only problem is... We can't really do that for them... SO what CAN we do?

We can help.
We can try to make them understand.
We can try to stay calm.
We can provide them with the information to not fall in the same holes we did.
And much more...

But that is all provided that they listen to us... So all those noobs out there reading this, and you probably will know if you're a noob or not... Please understand that all this is for your own help. I just hope that enough noobs read this...

Thanks for reading my little rant,
Rupayan

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
I feel as though I have been put into this "noob" and "nonsense" category, and I don't understand why. Yes, I have posted some threads with not much content in them for instance my thread about Hardcore, but most of the time that is just to start conversation.

I have been into magic for a good 3 years. I do not learn magic off of youtube and I am not a youtube magician. I go out and perform all the time and there is proof in my youtube video's.

Also, I have gotten out of the stage of "buy everything new." While, yes, I have gotten a few new things here lately and I will get a few new things in the next few months, but before I buy anything I think about it and I look at what I already perform and look for ways I can use it in my routines. If I see a way I can use it then I will get it and I will practice it and I will perform it.

Also, I plan to start working within the next 3 or 4 months.

I feel that I have been put into the categories I stated, though, and I feel I deserve a bit more respect for what I have done.

This is why no one here should be put down like saborfang17 just did to him. Everyone here should be constructive to one another in the most respectful and professional manner as possible (like JB said above). If everyone does this, I guarantee this forum would be a better place for everyone. RK Magician, don't feel singled out and don't feel bad about yourself. Keep on doing what you want to do and ask questions, that is why we are here. :)

-Casey

Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
i was a noob a couple years ago. What i DIDN'T do was spam the forum with pointless questions or put out a TON of video's that were terrible and borderline exposure. What i did do was sit back, quietly and listen and learn, and PRACTICE and then when i really had a question that i had researched and couldn't find an answer to, THEN and only then did i ask it. And when i released my first video it was after months if not years of practice. That is something the mentioned members need to sit down and think about because right now, all they are doing is embarrassing themselves. You say they might be the Danny Garcia or the David Blaine of tomorrow. The one thing you always here about those guys isn't the tons of terrible videos they put out for critique, you here about the hours upon HOURS of quiet practice they spent doing by themselves. That is the point that these members are missing. They are looking for instant gratification and somebody needs to sit them down and tell them thats not how this works, somebody needs to just say "stop, go practice"

Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I don't like the idea of a secret, exclusive forum at all. I puts us into "cliques" (like high school) and makes those who are not worthy or who are beginners to feel bad and maybe even want to quit magic because they feel like they are not good or they can't improve. With the people that saborfang17 named (and don't feel singled out) they just want advice. Sometimes their posts might not be as important to you as you would like them to be, but a thread to bash other members on this site who want help and advice isn't the right way to do it. As JB said, we were all beginners at one point and we never stop learning.

Jun 10, 2010
i was a noob a couple years ago. What i DIDN'T do was spam the forum with pointless questions or put out a TON of video's that were terrible and borderline exposure. What i did do was sit back, quietly and listen and learn, and PRACTICE and then when i really had a question that i had researched and couldn't find an answer to, THEN and only then did i ask it. And when i released my first video it was after months if not years of practice. That is something the mentioned members need to sit down and think about because right now, all they are doing is embarrassing themselves. You say they might be the Danny Garcia or the David Blaine of tomorrow. The one thing you always here about those guys isn't the tons of terrible videos they put out for critique, you here about the hours upon HOURS of quiet practice they spent doing by themselves. That is the point that these members are missing. They are looking for instant gratification and somebody needs to sit them down and tell them thats not how this works, somebody needs to just say "stop, go practice"

And Casey, this is why I did it.

I love when I can click the Reply button and quote everything someone says... It saves me the time of typing it up verbatim. RK, the reason I lump you into the "noob" category...
Dang...this weekend is already halloween! Before we know it, it'll be Thanksgiving and one of these mornings we are going to wake up and it will be Christmas!

I always have to start giving people idea's for Christmas and birthday pretty early (My 18th birthday is 10 days before Christmas!) so, I have been thinking of what I am going to be asking for!

I already got my early b-day gift from my parents - HTC EVO 4G!

I think my wish list is going to look like this:

TKO - Jeff Kaylor
Metal - Eric Jones
Trinity System
Legacy Thread
TRANSIT
and a sweet little close up pad I found.

Oh yeah! And I will be asking for a stereo system for my truck I just bought!

Yes you read that correctly. I am 17 years old and I traded in my own car and bought my own truck with my money that I am working and paying for! (That is kind of unheard of these days lol)

Anyhow, what are you asking for for Christmas?

If you want attention, I'll give it to you. You can be on my nub list until you realize that that was pure showing off, looking for attention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
First, this was not an attack or thread to 'bash' anyone. This was me expressing my opinion of the threads that have been surfacing lately. I was as respectful as possible when writing this, and did not name any names.

JB - I never asked for perfect punctuation, spelling, or grammar. HOWEVER, I was referring to Theory11's 'Forum Rules'.

On SPELLING & GRAMMAR:

* Being a forum, it’s highly important that you make each thread/post readable and grammatically correct. We pride ourselves on the fact that over 47% of our users are literate.
* Some examples of what NOT to post:
// “COOL NeW Trik!!! __ Chex ITS OuT!!”
// “Doo u tink u can hlp me on dis dbl lft junk??! lemme kno…. k”

Also, I remember Jason England talking about spelling and grammar. He stated that he always proofreads his posts to make sure they convey EXACTLY what he wants them to. Spellcheck is free, use it.. Also, there is a google translator for those whose primary language is NOT English. Why would anyone want to sound illiterate, or uneducated when giving advice or asking for help?

I did the same as JRoberts, I layed low and absorbed everything I could before posting any advice or videos.

I love the idea of an 'invite only' forum, like the protected forums. I don't think it would create any problems, as most people wouldn't even know about it. I'm not saying I'd be worthy to be invited, but it would give me something to try and achieve. Just look at TSD (theseconddeal.com). I know that's not what you're offering here, but why not?

Casey - Someone that had no idea of anything was putting you down, and insulting you. I know it upset you, and it's these types of things that we do not need.

Aaron - This is nothing like high school. I feel it would be a goal many members would have if it were implemented. Again, I didn't create a thread to 'bash' other members. I created a thread to state a problem that I saw forming.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Wow. Saborfang, it was meant to start conversation. Period. You can consider me a "noob" all you want. I know within myself that I am better than you. I am who I am. I perform, I CONVERSE with my audience I have fun and I give them something they will remember forever. I am doing what I love to do. I could go right now and succesfully work a table hopping gig. Doesn't seem very "noob" to me

Jun 10, 2010
Wow. Saborfang, it was meant to start conversation. Period. You can consider me a "noob" all you want. I know within myself that I am better than you. I am who I am. I perform, I CONVERSE with my audience I have fun and I give them something they will remember forever. I am doing what I love to do. I could go right now and succesfully work a table hopping gig. Doesn't seem very "noob" to me

You should keep in mind how it comes across to you. Oftentimes, since you are the one writing it, your intention while writing it can be completely different then how it comes across. To me and a LOT of other t11 forum members that read that, it sounded as if you were desperate for attention. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm trying to be honest. And I know within myself that you can't compare yourself to me since you don't know me, just as I don't know you. But from what I see, you are either ignorant of the fact that you sound desperate for attention or you're missing a few IQ points.

Your ignorance seems... "noob", for lack of a better word, to me.

Dude, you took the words right out of my mouth. I got 5 names for you, and I hope to god you ignore them: Mehar, Towtox, R.K. Magician78, Ilovestreetmagic, and PGAmagic.

^I have just named the 5 most noobiest noobs of theory11. Oh, ****, I forgot Elite Prestidigitation. Don't forget him. He's a nubstar.

I hope you realize that you yourself aren't that great. A lot of people one ''themagicsession'' were talking about how you are a 13 year old with less than a years practice yet you talk about other people being noobs..?

"And Mehar, I have problems in my personal life. Sometimes that "up-tight"ness or whatever transfers to what I say over the internet. Furthermore, from the gist of what you say, you seem to have done a few gigs for money. So technically, you are a professional. Just not an experienced one, if you will. I'm done now. That's all I needed to say, except for this: RK, towtox, Mehar, I'm sorry. I was in a contradictory mood and felt like ranting about every little thing I saw."

Do you want to make up your mind? On one hand all you do is insult us, on the other you apologize?! ^

You're starting to really piss me off. I want you to PLEASE, for the love of god, tell me why I'm such a "noob! If you really are 13/14 years old, what could be those heart-breaking problems in your life?!

What I'm trying to say is this: Give me an example of me being a ''noob''

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 23, 2007
Fredonia, NY
hey, now, be careful with the language or karma will come back to bite you in the deck box, you know like it was bending around back at you or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results