Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
I recently got hired for a 6 year old's birthday that's coming up. Just wanted any sort of tips, advice, how much I should charge, and/or trick recommendations. I believe it's sometime in May. I know I should keep it around 30-40 minutes and stuff but Idk what else.

Thanks guys!

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
Keep it simple. Do effects that you think would appeal to children like CJ said make it visual. Unless you are performing for engineers try not to do tricks heavy in calculations. I guess when it comes to charging I would go with the norm of $50-$60 for an hour(sounds reasonable). I have zero hours of paid gigs under my belt(Doesn't make me any less of a person) , so this is the extent of my knowledge. And don't forget the three R's Rehearse, Rehearse, Rehearse.

Oct 19, 2015
Needle through balloon is a big hit and easy to do...lots of fun to have some kids try it, visual, noisy, then you show them how it is done...

Cubs and Balls and if you have one Chop Cups..... you can make cups and balls with plastic solo cups and cotton, if you know the game...

Poring 'milk' into a cone made of new print is a good one if you have the pitcher....again visual and can involve one of the kids....

Finally, sponge ball routines work extremely well with kids....

Good Luck

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
How many kids are expected to show up?

Sponge magic would be a definite plus. Card magic would be really iffy.

Egg Bag.

Are you intending to purchase any tricks before this happens? If so, what is your budget? What tricks have you set out so far?
Not sure how many kids.

I knew for a fact id do something with spongeballs. I also wanted to incorporate mouth coils because I have a bunch that im not using.
As for card tricks, I have this one called “Arthur” which I think the kids would actually really like. Its basically a sword in the stone type thing. I was also thinking it would be funny to do paper balls over head with one of the parents.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I recently got hired for a 6 year old's birthday that's coming up. Just wanted any sort of tips, advice, how much I should charge, and/or trick recommendations. I believe it's sometime in May. I know I should keep it around 30-40 minutes and stuff but Idk what else.

Thanks guys!

OK, my first piece of advice is to never agree to do a show that you don't have prepared. We are beyond that now, so let make the best of this.

My second piece of advice is not to think that kids magic is easy because they are kids. I think you have to be actually more entertaining for kids. You have to show them that you like them and are having fun with them.

To figure out what to charge, it would be helpful to know how you were hired for the show and how may other paid shows you have done.

So on to the show... The show should be around 30 to 40 minutes. You should plan 6 to 8 effects each being around 5 minutes.

Some ideas for effects (others have also recommended these):

Four Square Blendo or Mini Flag Blendo (get a Vernet TT if you don't have one)
20th Century Silks
Bigger Card (from Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic)
Magic Candy Maker (or Confetti to Candy in Mark Wilson's Book)
Sponge Balls or Sponge Bunnies
Magic Milk Pitcher
Linking Rings
Cups & Balls with a fun final load
I was also thinking it would be funny to do paper balls over head with one of the parents.

That will take a lot of crowd control for one of the kids NOT to yell out what you are doing.

I guess when it comes to charging I would go with the norm of $50-$60 for an hour(sounds reasonable).

That all depends on where you are in the country and your level of skill and professionalism. In some places you can charge $200 to $250 for a half hour children's show.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
OK, my first piece of advice is to never agree to do a show that you don't have prepared. We are beyond that now, so let make the best of this.
Yea that was sort of a mistake on my part. Just got excited.

My second piece of advice is not to think that kids magic is easy because they are kids. I think you have to be actually more entertaining for kids. You have to show them that you like them and are having fun with them.

To figure out what to charge, it would be helpful to know how you were hired for the show and how may other paid shows you have done.
I'd consider myself good with kids. I know kids magic isn't easy. In fact, I'd argue it is quite a bit more difficult.
I've also done two and they were both $50 for about an hour of magic. I did magic for them when they came into the yogurt store and I noticed they had a deck of cards out, so I showed them some tricks with my cards and taught her son an easy card force because he actually knew cards. She came back the other day and asked if I could do magic for her son's birthday so I gave her my card. I do magic for kids a lot but the last full show I did was with my friend Jacob for his brother's birthday about 2 years ago. So it's been awhile.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Four Square Blendo or Mini Flag Blendo (get a Vernet TT if you don't have one)
20th Century Silks
Bigger Card (from Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic)
Magic Candy Maker (or Confetti to Candy in Mark Wilson's Book)
Sponge Balls or Sponge Bunnies
Magic Milk Pitcher
Linking Rings
Cups & Balls with a fun final load
These are all great ideas!

Mar 16, 2018
A tip I would give you is to always be entertaining and do something,because the kids get bored if you are not doing something continously, so while your taking out your props you can speak or entertain them in some kind of way so they don't get bored.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo
Jul 26, 2016
One trick i always do at a birthday party, whether kids or adults that is special, memorable and plays quite well:

Get ahold of a blank-backed card, and on the back write "HAPPY BIRTHDAY ________ [Insert Name]" Bring up the birthday child into the spotlight to be your "magical assistant." Place the pre-prepared card ( I like to use a King) on the bottom of the deck and force it, using the Hindu Shuffle Force. It will now be somewhere in the middle of deck.

Under the pretense of looking through the deck for the card, arrange to make sure it ends up 21st from the bottom. Announcing that you can't find it, you say, "But there is one possible magical way to find it" You then have the birthday child extend their hands, and you say, "Maybe if we all sing Happy Birthday to ______ , we may be able to find ______'s card." As you lead them in the song, with the deck face up and starting with bottom face-up card, basically deal one card face up into their hand for each word of the song, FACE UP, into his/her hand. On the last word of the song, the selection (the 21st from bottom). will appear face up. (Fool with this and you will get the cadence correct).

Show the face (but not the back) of the card and ask if it's right. They will say yes and be surprised. But now for the kicker. You say, "And that's not just any card - it's a special birthday card." Turn it around and show the message and say, "Happy Birthday _______.! Let's all clap for _____ for being a great magical assistant!"

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Another thing to always keep in mind for future birthday parties is be sure to get the age range of the children attending. This can vary significantly and alter what effects you take to your birthday party show. What entertains a 5-7 year old may be a little different then the 9-13 range child.

Birthday party prices for a 35-40 minute show can vary as well. I know some guys charge $100 and others charge $250. It all depends on the demographics of your area and what other local magicians are charging as well. I can normally get away with selling my show for $150 in my area and that's about it. Anything above that for a child's birthday party and I won't get calls.

Antonio Diavolo

Elite Member
Jan 2, 2016
California
Another thing to always keep in mind for future birthday parties is be sure to get the age range of the children attending. This can vary significantly and alter what effects you take to your birthday party show. What entertains a 5-7 year old may be a little different then the 9-13 range child.

Birthday party prices for a 35-40 minute show can vary as well. I know some guys charge $100 and others charge $250. It all depends on the demographics of your area and what other local magicians are charging as well. I can normally get away with selling my show for $150 in my area and that's about it. Anything above that for a child's birthday party and I won't get calls.
Itll be like 5-7 as the kid is turning 6.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results