Kids birthday show problem

May 9, 2011
Hey there...

I need your help :(
Tomorrow I have to do kids birthday magic show (8 year olds) and it should be about 30min...

The problem is that I don't have a lot of kids props, I do street magic for adults, so I don't have a lot of kids stuff... I do have some sponge balls, and thumb tip for vanishing silk, but, what else would you suggest me to do? I really need your help on this one :(

Thank you

Jun 10, 2011
Hi! 8 year old children do best with large visuals that don't require a lot of dedicated attention. Coin magic is always a hit with younger children. If you're familiar with any of the tricks using crayons, those usually work really well -- being able to predict a color etc.

Vanishing silk is perfect! Just do a simple routine .. If you could pull it out of your ears, butt, etc. (Talk to parents on that one about the appropriateness; the kids would love it, the parents maybe not lol).

Balloon magic, nice card flourishes. The 360 arm rotation is usually pretty good (assuming it isn't too hot to wear long sleeves).

While this is more on performance than tricks, the key to doing well with quite possibly the toughest audience possible, is to keep them laughing. Be silly. Keep them engaged ("ok kids, on 3 say 'spiderman dinosaurs eat peanut butter!'" or 'peanut butter jelly time!'). Audience participation is key here. Tricks for kids work BEST if it looks like you really goofed, but you're silly, then somehow pull off something amazing.

Just remember they want to have fun, and they want to BELIEVE. If you can do these things, you can have fun WITH them and I'm sure you'll be a hit.

Best of luck!

Aug 17, 2010
Getting work is all well and good, but it has to be stuff you're ready for. If you don't have a show ready, you have to say "I'd love to do it, but I don't have the kind of show you need."

Orrrrrrrrr.... you can accept to do the show and stretch your boundaries as an entertainer. Kids parties aren't his forte, now he's going to have to push himself to create a set specifically meant for children's shows. It's not a 2000$ gig, and he probably isn't going to make much. Since they asked him (and he isn't a child's performer) they probably aren't looking to hire a professional clown or children's magician and want an affordable means to entertain the kids for a half hour.

But I'd personally recommend the Miser's Dream. Look up Chris Capehart performing it on YouTube, and basically look up anything else that Chris Capehart has done concerning children's magic. He's a great performer and his tricks play well for kids and adults alike.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
1. Assuming this is a paid gig, call and tell them you can't do the gig. Developing a good kids show takes months, not hours. Don't ruin magic for a bunch of kids and alienate a bunch of parents by doing a half-assed show. You should never accept a gig you can't perform. If you perform unprepared, you will give all magicians a bad reputation.

2. If this is a freebie for a family member's birthday, I understand that you may have to do the show.

3. Don't listen to Shadesn. That advice will make your performance worse because it isn't appropriate for 8 year olds.

If you insist on performing, I am willing to help you because you will do more harm to magic if I don't.

Here are some suggestions for effects:

1. Multiplying Spongeballs - Use the routine from the instructions in the box.
2. Invisible or Brainwaive deck - Toss out a beach ball and have someone name the color (red or black), toss the ball again and have someone name the suite, and then toss and have them decide whether it is a face card or number card and then toss again and have them name the value. Reveal that the selected card is reversed.
3. Tic Tac Toe from Mark Wilson's Complete Course - if you have the book, I'll help you with the patter.
4. Dan Harlan's Hover Card - if you have the gimmick, I'll help you with the patter.
5. John Bannon's View to a Skill - I can help you with this too.
6. Cut and Restored Card To Impossible Location - I'm willing to teach you my routine on this.
7. Flow -again I'm willing to share my patter with you if you ave this effect.

I'm going to sleep, but post or PM if you decide to go ahead with the show, and I will help you in the morning.

Also let me know what books, DVDs and props you do have, the number of people and the three effects you perform most often.

Aug 17, 2010
But I'd personally recommend the Miser's Dream. Look up Chris Capehart performing it on YouTube, and basically look up anything else that Chris Capehart has done concerning children's magic.

I think Chris Capeheart's work deserves more than one night of practice. This guy's gig is tomorrow.

RealityOne, you're a class act to make that offer.

With the gig being tomorrow... you are well beyond the point of us being able to help you. You're now officially in the "screwed" category. You shouldn't have accepted the gig unless you had something in place, and asking us for help the day before isn't going to do you any good because anything we could suggest I doubt will be rehearsed, and ready to perform in just a few hours.

If you don't cancel on them (and you should), then I wish you luck. This is going to be a learning experience.

Sep 1, 2007
If you don't cancel on them (and you should), then I wish you luck. This is going to be a learning experience.

Well, some lessons are best learned the hard way.

I've been in similar positions, not this bad, but where I've had to make drastic changes to shows on the eleventh hour - so I'll help you as much as I can.

Here's my nugget for kids shows - I make the birthday kid the "magician". I buy them a wand (one of those nice $25 ones) and let them do all the "magic" for me. I call this my "tomato shield" theory. The idea is that the kids watching will much less likely to yell or call things out if you're not the one doing the magic. Thus you have created a tomato shield for yourself to hide behind, and the parents will love you. For every "magic moment" I have during my show I have the birthday kid yell out some magic words and wave the wand. Then I give them all the credit. Ta Da (excuse the pun).

I use the Mikame "sucker card box", mouth coils, sponge balls, coin productions/vanishes and the flower box production for the kid shows that I do, but I don't really do any except for family friends or something.

May 9, 2011
First of all, thank you all you that gave me some suggestions, thank you so much...
I think I will definitely use some of these effects...

Beans25, thank you for that, I think Ill do it, but I dont have money or anyplace I can get 25 dolar want, but I have one my own...

Then, for all of you who told me that I shouldnt even accept job:
My cousin's daughter is having birthday and their parents dont have enough money to hire any professional magician, or entertainer and they just called me yesterday, tell me something, wouldnt you help??

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Then, for all of you who told me that I shouldnt even accept job:
My cousin's daughter is having birthday and their parents dont have enough money to hire any professional magician, or entertainer and they just called me yesterday, tell me something, wouldnt you help??

I got your PM and will help you out. The key is to perform effects you know but adapt the patter to children. Being silly is good, but it has it's limits. A magician is not a clown. The focus is the magic backed up withna story or presentation. This is no different than what should be (but is rarely) done when performing for adults.

Luis Vega

Elite Member
Mar 19, 2008
Leon, Guanajuato Mexico
luisvega.com.mx
Hey there...

I need your help :(
Tomorrow I have to do kids birthday magic show (8 year olds) and it should be about 30min...

The problem is that I don't have a lot of kids props, I do street magic for adults, so I don't have a lot of kids stuff... I do have some sponge balls, and thumb tip for vanishing silk, but, what else would you suggest me to do? I really need your help on this one :(

Thank you

Well...you are pretty much screwed up...for a kids show I had to prepare from around a month before it...and it wasn`t as cool as I would like it to be...

I would take Reality One`s advice...anyway...I am eager to hear what you did...

I second that notion... I'd like to read a full report on how the show went.

As to your question of family members asking for help, that really depends. I've told family members "no" before when I've been called for kids parties because I'm not a kids party entertainer. Not unless you want your kid to have weekly visits to the psychiatrist for the next few years.

It's just about knowing what you can do for the client. I have no material that's suitable for a kids party in my current act line up. I also don't have the patience needed to work with kids so I know I'm a fairly poor choice when it comes to that. I have an obligation to the art of magic to be entertaining, present it well, and not expose it during a show. If I tried to do a kids show, and I'm clearly not ready for it I could fail at all three obligations!

Most people you run into, and doubly so at that age, haven't actually seen a "real" magician work before. They've seen it on TV but not up close and in person. You're the first impression of magic these people are going to have. Wouldn't you want that impression to be a good one? Having a poorly prepared act, or an act that isn't suitable for the audience will certainly influence their impressions negatively.

However it goes, I hope you break a leg. Like I said, I can't wait for a full show report when you get back.

Sep 6, 2010
Do not cancel the performance! You already made a commitement. You are also helping your family. All you need to do for a kids show is too be silly, silly, silly. Parents could care less about your act; all parents care about is if their child has fun. And if you are silly, all of the children will have a blast! Good luck!

(This message is to everyone else) By the way, if someone asks for help for a show they are streesed out about, do not tell the person to cancel it because there is "no way" he can be successful. If it was SO stressful, he would just cancel. But instead, he came for help. So please, only comment if it will make the performer more confindent and it will help him. Thanks for understanding.

- Ben

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Do not cancel the performance! You already made a commitement. You are also helping your family. All you need to do for a kids show is too be silly, silly, silly. Parents could care less about your act; all parents care about is if their child has fun. And if you are silly, all of the children will have a blast! Good luck!

(This message is to everyone else) By the way, if someone asks for help for a show they are streesed out about, do not tell the person to cancel it because there is "no way" he can be successful. If it was SO stressful, he would just cancel. But instead, he came for help. So please, only comment if it will make the performer more confindent and it will help him. Thanks for understanding.

- Ben

Ben:

First off, from the initial post it appeared that he accepted a paid gig he was unprepared for. By doing a paid show that he was unprepared would have been really bad for him and for other magicians. If it was a paid gig, canceling was the best advice. Also, if we post that advice enough, others on the forums will realize that they shouldn't accept a paid gig unless they have the show already prepared, practiced and rehearsed.

Second, there is this thinking about kids shows that it is somehow easier than performing for adults and all you have to do is be silly. That couldn't be further than the truth. As I've said before, there is a big difference in performing for a 5 year old and and 8 year old and a 13 year old. They view magic and entertainment differently. If simply being silly was enough, we could all be clowns. Good magic for children (like good magic for adults) integrates the magic and the patter so that it isn't merely a trick or merely a story or merely a gag, but true entertainment. Good magic also needs to be powerful, even for children... Mere gags aren't enough.

Third, as Luis said, it takes time to develop a good kids show or any show. I've been working on developing an entirely new "all ages" show for months and it won't be ready until the fall. Part of that is selecting and testing new material, part of that is developing the patter and presentation, part of that is tying all the routines together with a common theme (so they represent a coherent "show" rather than presenting a series of tricks) and part of that is making the show modular so that it can be changed depending on the amount of time and the ages of the audience.

Fourth, confidence comes from practicing and rehearsing the material you are going to perform, not from what people say on a magic forum.

All that being said, I did send ProfKiwi a couple of routines with patter and some suggestions of how to tie them together (opener, middlers and closer) to make it a mini show. The routines required little sleight of hand (any methods were public domain) and the script for the patter was what I use in shows.

After his second post and some PMs with ProfKiwi, I understand where he is coming from. He was trying to do a favor for family and just got down to the last minute and realized he needed help. I hope his show went well and that he will let us know how it went.

Sep 6, 2010
You gotta be kidding me...have you ever performed for kids before?...to be honest...is one of the hardest audience to entertain...I really pay respect for magicians who are able to perform in a great way for kids..also for clowns, they have my respect...

Yes, I do at least 8 45-minute kids shows a month, and I am only in high school (I basically have at least 2 kid shows every weekend). I know that being JUST silly does not make a good show, but due to the situation he was in, it was just a little tip for him to make his performance a little more successful; I did not mean to just do lame gags on stage, but rather make your magic tricks and performances funny so the kids enjoy the show. Like danielmontagne said, to make the kids like your performance, you must be "seriously silly" (that is what I meant by all you need to do is be silly, silly, silly).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results