Kid's Magic

For most people, a first step. For me, a last resort. I've been donig magic for 10 years, and never, NEVER wanted to do kid's magic. It was just never my interest. But now, i'm starting to believe that it's probably best. I'm thinking about doing kids' birthday parties (ages 5-10), so i'm trying to put together a routine. This is what i'm thinking:

Sponge balls (which I have ZERO experience with. Any training sources would be appreciated)
Rising Card
Levitating wand
Cups and balls
3 shell game
Money paddle

Any other reccomendations? I want maybe a 30-45 min. show. Thanks in advance!:)

I would have to say... Silk stuff... Maybe with a thumb tip. Seems to get them everytime to me. But yeah, sponge balls=excellent kid trick. I've never actually seen a video with sponge balls except stuff from E (inside magic?), but I got my routines for sponge ball from On The Spot by Gregory Wilson... Except he used napkins... Same basic principal.

Sep 10, 2007
Sacramento, CA
For sponge balls, a really good starter on the subject and a good routine, can be found in Mark Wilsons guide to magic. A card toon and kids cards deck would be good ones. A coin matrix is always an eye catcher (i do coin flux for all sorts of people, old and young, and they all seem to like it). i would even consider getting a change bag and silks. and maybe even some rope. Rope tricks can be found in the mark wilson book too.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I don't do too many sponge ball routines, the only one i know of is in Inside Magic by E. other little kid tricks that are great are i think the two silk hankerchiefs that produce a bra. i can't remember what that trick is called. very visual tricks that don't require too much thinking are great.

Kids performance is a hard part of magic. I do a lot of birthday, Christmas trees...
Here are my routines :
Alibongo trick (I don't know the name in English!) : You have 4 little bowls linked by pair...
v_1_sfp-pompalbo_.jpg

I also do the "OTH" routine. Over the head. Where you play with bowls of paper from Tony's Clark (it is very funny!)
What I like to do, is to take with me a kid (the one whose birthday is). Make him (her) choose another kid. Put him some clothes (ridiculous clothes!), and give him my magic stick.
464_baguetegigonekir.jpg

When i've finished with that, I do a card trick.

I have a lot of routines for kids.
I think the most important is to make them laught and have fun. No need to do great magic. But be careful, kids are very clever and see everything!

If it's your 'last resort' and you have NEVER wanted to do it, then why are you doing it? Why don't you stick to what you like best? If you're not having fun, neither will the kids. If you're switching your entire focus of magic for money, you're doing it for the wrong reasons*, and I don't think you'll be very happy later on.

*: Unless of course you're a professional, working magician and you can't find any audiences for adult magic, but then I would just say that you're marketing yourself wrong. Magic is a very specialized talent, and there IS a market for it; you just need to know how to get yourself out there. Try PMing Steve Simmons. The kid is a genius when it comes to this stuff. A course in marketing wouldn't hurt, either (they usually have stuff like this at local colleges and lecture centers and stuff that's aimed towards small businesses. Perfect! Never forget that magic is one half show, one half business. There are also countless books on this subject written by non-magicians that will help you greatly - take a trip to your nearest book store and look around).

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Pretty much anything can be adapted to "kids magic". Although, the best bets are things that tell a story. You can find effects in stores that you would look at and think "That's lame" but kids would love them. Appearing wands and canes, paddle tricks, hot rod, etc..

Thanks for the help everyone!

If it's your 'last resort' and you have NEVER wanted to do it, then why are you doing it? Why don't you stick to what you like best? If you're not having fun, neither will the kids. If you're switching your entire focus of magic for money, you're doing it for the wrong reasons*, and I don't think you'll be very happy later on.

True, I have never wanted to do kids magic. But if you re-read the first post, I say that now, I do. I think it's best. And no, i'm not switching my focus for money, i'm switching my focus for publicity. What I like best is stage mentalism. And to get on stage, I first have to show that i'm worthy, and skilled enough to do so. Not just to other people, but to myself. You never know, I could be performing for some guys kid who owns a place with a stage. He likes my show, and next thing you know i've landed a gig. That's why i've resorted to kids magic. And i'm sure i'll grow to love it.

Children's entertaining is one area of magic available to us all - whether you are a parent performing to your child at a birthday party, or a professional magician hoping to expand your repertoire, or a teenager trying to entertain some children. Children's entertaining is a rewarding and enjoyable branch of magic.

Kid's magic is very different from close-up magic or sleight of hand - it is nearer to stage magic, with visual illusions to keep your audience from wandering off into their imaginations..

When planning your children's magic shows, it is essential to keep in mind that children have a relatively small attention span, so you need to keep them on their toes by using visual props (such as magic wands, colourful tricks etc.), funny jokes and a lot of audience participation. The magic illusions should be varied, exciting and most importantly, entertaining for the children.

The tricks you choose for the magic show are very important - you should pick tricks for children that are suitable for their age and sex. A patter about football wouldn't go down too well at an all-girls birthday party!

Before you perform a show, watch a little children's television and see how the presenters act. They smile, laugh and appear to be enjoying themselves - a very important part of being successful! Try to also remember some of the characters names - you can rename your pet rabbit to a "Teletubby", or "Barney" at the time being, for example.

To be (almost) as successful as famous magicians, you need to enjoy performing magic, the kids will know you are enjoying it, and your positive feelings will help to make them enjoy your magic show - there's nothing worse than watching magic performed by a bored magician!

Improve your chances of repeat performances by rewarding the children with merchandise. A well crafted balloon model is great, but once it pops, you're forgotten. If you can afford some promotional material with your contact information to give to the children along with the balloon, then the parents will have a way of calling you for their child's next party. Just don't pin your business card to the balloon!!!!

Mitchell

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results