Know the spectator's card or what they're thinking without them telling you

Mar 18, 2018
I've seen multiple magicians perform this and I was wondering if it had a name or where I could learn it. It can be used in a variety of different tricks. The spectator can choose a card, it's lost in the deck and the magician says it (that's just one way it can be performed). One of the coolest ways I think you can use it, is when they think of a card, colour, animal, date, etc. and without telling you, you can say it or show them a prediction that has the thing they were thinking. Does this have a name and if so, is there a place I can learn it? Thanks in advance!

Mar 4, 2018
There are dozens of different ways to achieve this, possibly over a hundred. I think there are two presentation approaches you can do to go about this.

You can play it off as a card magician/card mechanic and force their and show that it's your expert ability in card sleight of hand that allows you to know the secret (or find their card and flick it out of the deck). To learn this approach I suggest learning about card forces and card controls. A great starting point is a book called Royal Road to Card Magic by Braue and Hugard or the Card College series by Robert Giobbi. If you learn better from video, Penguin has well taught downloads and DVDs on card forces and beginner card magic by Oz Pearlman.

The other way you can present this is as a mentalist and use a mind reading presentation. There are even more methods that you can use to achieve this effect with a mentalism presentation. 13 Steps to Mentalism by Tony Corinda will give you plenty of tools for this such as the prediction you mentioned. One of the easiest ways to achieve gaining the information of a freely selected card (and mods please edit this portion if it goes into exposure) is this release from Penguin: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8474

Reactions: Mr_ARPY
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results